What VHS, Laserdisc, or Beta tape have you gotten lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peacekeepr73, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm happy enough with the Japanese Laserdisc even though it has subtitles burned in. They're only there on the songs and not that obtrusive. I just wish they'd chosen a print in better condition to transfer back then. The one on the LaserDisc is a bit on the "brown" side. It feels like it needs more blue.

2. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

.....I'm happy enough with the Japanese Laserdisc even though it has subtitles burned in. They're only there on the songs and not that obtrusive. I just wish they'd chosen a print in better condition to transfer back then. The one on the LaserDisc is a bit on the "brown" side. It feels like it needs more blue.....

I'm also fine with my Japanese LD too. Looking for a Hong Kong copy is fruitless, I'm sure. Someplace, sometime, somebody might find a copy at a used store, flea market, or pawn shop....who knows....

Disney didn't give a hoot about Laserdisc quality and that includes all their sub-labels, Hollywood Pictures, Touchstone, and so on. They had no pride at all in their, so called, premium LD releases....might have been called Signature Collection.... I have their 20,000 Leagues Beneath The Sea. It's pathetically bad. Disney always used masters that were barely fit for VHS. The 20,000..... LD is a textbook guide of everything that could be wrong. The only good reason to own one is to frame it and put upon a wall. It's possibly the most disappointing LD I ever bought.

3. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Dr. Who--VHS, The Tenth Planet, Hartnell

Western, out of print, The Grey Fox

Liam Adams likes this.
  4. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Someone on LDDB has a copy for sale for $2500. :eek:

You'd think it would be in mint condition for that price, but the disc has "a few small scratches" and the jacket has "many small creases".

5. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

Picked up two volumes of "The Mod Squad" on LD....kinda fun.

6. Rachael Bee

I would presume there are no mint copies since all copies were for rental. LD's can play through stuff that kills DVD's and BD's. I bet my HLD-X9 would play it well.

7. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

Yep, analog vs. digital. If an analog signal degrades it's usually still discernible (albeit noisy) up to a point. With digital it either works or it doesn't, the latter happening abruptly once you get beyond the point where error correction is no longer able to compensate.

IIRC the X9 (and the X0) used a narrower-bandwidth laser, which made them able to play discs that were either noticeably noisier or wouldn't play at all on lesser machines.

8. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Ya Dave Im glad my VHS copy is as beautiful as it is.... (They just hooked two VCRs together and recorded it in NTSC)

9. vinylbeat

vinylbeat Forum Resident

I've been picking up some of the Universal Horror Encore Edition Laserdiscs lately. I already own most of them on Blu-ray, but the nice cover art on the lasers really catches my interest. And hey..... they're fun to play in a retro kind of way.

Bhob likes this.
  10. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

The japanese complete box set of Twin Peaks. Got it from a friend in Japan who bought it for 15 bucks - shipping to my home cost more than the thing itself :D:D

vinylbeat likes this.
  11. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

Becoming more interested in the Scott Bakula reboot of THE INVADERS recently, I located a LaserDisc and watched and dubbed it to DVD. Man! That movie had a chapter stop for EVERY scene change!

12. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last got an earlier release of STAR TREK 4 (1986) on VHS :)

13. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yesterday i got a VHS tape I ordered in the mail :)

Phil Collins - Live at Perkins Palace (1982)

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnBeas, MikaelaArsenault and Jrr like this.
  14. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last got the movie WITCHCRAFT 5 - 1993

I havent seen this since the 90s on PPV! (And part 5 is the only one I have seen of it)

Its pretty good.........

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

The US Laser Disc of that title is a fuzzy mess. The Japanese issue is a finer transfer. The DVD that came later is even a better watch.

16. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I just pulled out from the rack my Mitsubishi U61 VHS Hi-Fi VCR last weekend to see why it refused to load 8 or 9 years ago the last time I tried to use it. Turns out the rive belt was crisp and broken off the motor. I had a spare belt and got it up and running. Cleaned the heads with 99.9% alcohol and ready to go!

Played two concert tapes, both non-DVD releases Pete Townshend - The Brixton Concert, wonderful performance with killer sound. And Marianne Faithful - Blazing Away, also rather killer sound and amazing performance. I have a few more VHS concerts not on DVD or BR, but these two are the reason to keep the damn VHS thing going. Dear got they are good, and late 80s tapes too.

I have another runing Mitsubishi, the U54 which has far fewer features but might have the better picture. I'm going to do a shoot out with both machines connected to the big screen and see if one has sharper color or vertical stability. I sense one of them will out perform the other. I don't know why. But pumping VHS to a large flat panel will reveal everything wrong.

17. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Ok, breaking out the Panasonic L900 (I think it is) this coming weekend as well. That is the high-end Denon re-bag right?

I'm going to toss in Bob Dylan's "Hard To Handle" 1986 concert on LD and see how that player spins still. I did a DVD transfer 15 years ago. And while the picture looks fine and great (on my DVD transfer) I think I encoded the sound to AC-3 (Dolby Digital) which is worse then straight PCM. And since the concert is only 60 min. long, there was no need to compress the audio track. Video and audio could have been top bit rates with no space problems on a single layer DVD. So I am revisiting that one with a new transfer. I just love Tom Petty and his Heartbreakers backing Bob on this tour.

I also have a higher end Pioneer LD player (not Elite) that does not like to load the LD quite right without help and the lid off. That weight disc clamp (inside) does not fully rest by itself. Needs lube and/or adjustment. And I need to keep both of these machines in tip-top order as they are the important LD players that remain. I'm not seeing the players around in the wild anymore for$25 - $30 like I used to.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Can anyone explain why the movie "Looking For Mr. Goodbar" has not appeared on disc since the 80s VHS and LD? It's not known as the best movie but Diane Keaton made a career performance in it said the critics. It was a profitable hit. It's just odd it would go Song of the South on us.

I just looked yesterday and someone loaded it up at youtube and it has not gotten a takedown notice. I need to watch it before it disappears I think.

Derek Gee likes this.
  19. Derek Gee

Derek Gee Senior Member

Goodbar is not even streaming anywhere. Either there are rights issues or it's been withdrawn for some reason.

Derek

20. Rachael Bee

Maybe the Hersey Candy Company hates a movie that disparages one of it's products and paid to have the film shelved....??? ;)

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Right, or the candy company's parent company owns the studio that owns the film rights and decided to deep-six it.

22. Rachael Bee

That sounds about right. That fits on the plate along with the Q-Anon theory. ;)

23. mdm08033

mdm08033 Senior Member

A crummy copy is in Eww Toob. I washed it s few weeks ago. It’s a tough experience. Maybe one of the producers has enough pull to bury it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.