What VHS, Laserdisc, or Beta tape have you gotten lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peacekeepr73, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

The Police [never released on DVD] VHS tape Outlandos to Synchronicities.......a £4 bargain from ebay.
    So as not to wear the tape out it went into the DVD recorder..................Bleeding Macrovision!

longdist01 likes this.
  2. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

On saturday I got the movie CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND (1977) on VHS :)

I first had this last year but the sound quality WAS HORRIBLE .. This one is a 1988 release by 'Goodtimes home video' and is EXCELLENT! (Now I have 2 movies from "GOODTIMES" and they are both BETTER than the offical tapes out there for both)

3. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

Lots of classics, multi-tape sets, much Disney. My local library Friends shop no longer sells donated VHS movies; they are placed on the "FREE" cart. I overheard a volunteer say that they couldn't sell even at 25 cents. On some visits I am begged to take tapes, a surpring number still sealed in shrinkwrap, like a couple of the older Star Wars movies and The Passion of the Christ. The local Goodwill thrift shop has regular "buy one get 10 free" sales. VHS is truly dead.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yesterday I got the movie USED CARS on VHS :) (1980)

I had been thru 2 other copies of this movie and was not happy!

I first had a 1985 copy (RCA/Columbia) and the audio was horrible!!!!!!

I got rid of that and found a 1983 copy (RCA/Columbia) and that audio WAS GOOD but the video was aweful!!! (Kept changing colours,etc) -- This was a 1983 copy which is sad!!!! (Usually they didnt start messing up movies until 1984 or so)

I got rid of that one and found THE ORIGNAL 1981 Columbia release WHICH IS BEAUTIFUL.... Nice loud audio (Better then the 1983 one) and the video is super!!!!

5. Clark V Kauffman

Clark V Kauffman Forum Resident

I've been on a '70s/'80s music kick lately. In the past year, I picked up two laserdiscs of concert videos never issued on DVD: a full-length Bee Gees concert from the One For All Tour, and a John Denver performance in Australia (early 1990s) that was issued only on laserdisc and only in Japan.

Shak Cohen and Jrr like this.
  6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last got NO ESCAPE (1994) on VHS :)

7. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last got WHERE THE BUFFALO ROAM (1980) on VHS :)

I LOVE THE MUSIC IN THIS MOVIE!!!!! (Purple haze,etc)

8. Clark V Kauffman

I just purchased "Dances With Wolves" in the Widescreen Expanded Edition, on laserdisc.
    I wanted a CD of the film's soundtrack, and this was a cheap way to get a sealed copy ... along with a beautiful book on the making of the film, some nice lobby cards and, of course, some laserdiscs that I don't have much use for as the BluRay looks and sounds great. The whole thing comes in a beautifully designed, textured and embossed case. One of the nicest laserdisc sets ever made.

[​IMG]

Shak Cohen, Plan9 and captainsolo like this.
  9. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last got 3 movies :)

1) Defending your life (1991) - Demo tape
    2) SAW II (2005)
    3) Body heat (1981) - First release

10. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

I last got the FIRST vhs release of WOODSTOCK 69 by WCI HOME VIDEO (1979)

Its got the original analog master and is georgeous!!!!! (Sadly I think this is the ONLY analogue release of this event (All newer VHS release are not analogue))

WOODSTOCK 69 - The best music event ever!!

Warren Hawk likes this.
  11. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I was at a Record store that is closing his doors soon, and he mentioned hardly anyone was buying his used Blu ray’s & DVDs anymore, but the 8-tracks, cassettes & VHS were making a comeback!! Didn’t see/hear any mention of Laserdiscs!

Who’d knew! :magoo:

Dude111 likes this.
  12. wingsoveramerica

wingsoveramerica The Dude

I still buy VHS, Laserdisc, and some Betas. Mainly stuff that's not on DVD like Welcome to Pooh Corner (no one remembers that one).

13. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

Beta "Looking For Mr Goodbar" for $2.00 a few months before TCM ran it. Never thought it would run.

14. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Ladt VHS I bought was Robo Warriors only because it's not even on DVD, that was about 6 years ago or so.

Still not on DVD.

[​IMG]

15. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Yesterday I got a VHS tape :)

Friday the 13th Part II (1981)

gitters likes this.
  16. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

That Bee Gees concert on laserdisc is fantastic, with stellar audio. The DVD was absolutely terrible, but it was just remastered and it now is as good as the laserdisc. I was mainly keeping my laserdisc player just for that one concert, which I also attended. So, if your player ever fails at least you can get a great copy on DVD, just make sure it's the remastered edition.

17. Clark V Kauffman

Which version is the newly remastered version? I've purchased two different versions on DVD - an old MPI release and a more recent one from - Korea and they're both terrible, with either bad sound or bad video quality. My "DVD-R rip" of my laserdisc looks better and sounds WAY better.

18. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

The other night, I watched American Splendor and FM on VHS.

I got FM on Amazon a few months back. That's my most recent VHS purchase.

clhboa likes this.
  19. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Purchased a used laserdisc of Godzilla (US version) for my son because he thought the disc and artwork were so cool (they are).

20. Probably about a month ago I bought two VHS tapes at Goodwill.
    Grease (1982 edition with a tan colored lid)
    Caddyshack II

Seems like I mainly come across common vhs in my area, I prefer to buy lesser known more unusual movies on VHS.

Dude111 likes this.
  21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Yes, the laserdisc was significantly better. The MPI is the one you don't want. I saw the good one on eBay about a year ago. Very strange....I was sure it was a bootleg when I first opened it. The cover is fine, and signficantly different (as in totally different) from the original, but something about it seems bootleg. The back says it is mfg by SRE Corp, so maybe another country licensed it. But the disc itself appears totally legit. It is silkscreened art, and quite nice. When you insert the disc, it has remastering Dolby art, which was not on the original. And it sounds fantastic. The video does not appear like it came from a copy, looks first generation. So, good enough for me considering the alternative is awful. I was buying DVDs when they first came out, when very few titles were available. Many looked very grainy and were just not good. I believe the Bee Gees was one of the very first music videos released on DVD if memory serves, and it certainly sounds and looks like it! Anyway, if you can find a copy like this one don't heisitate. I don't remember it being expensive.

Edit: just looked on eBay as so many people around here have helped me over the years! Sorry to say I don't see my copy on there as of now. There is one out of country listing but it isn't the right one. My remaster cover is nothing like the original so don't buy one that looks similar. The front only has two photos: the official one with the three of them and it's in the middle, and on the left at the bottom there is an exact photo like the cover of their One album, with the three half faces, and it's just a bit bigger than a postage stamp. If you see a cover with just those two photos that's likely it. I do buy a lot from Amazon so there's a good chance I may have purchased it there, so look on both sites. Now that I think about it, I do believe Amazon is where I found it which is why I thought it was legit...and it may be.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  22. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Today I got 2 VHS movies :)

1) Carbon Copy - 1981
    2) Blade Runner - 1982 (Unrated version)

Scopitone likes this.
  23. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

[​IMG]

Merry Merry Salvation Army Find

Jrr likes this.
  24. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I am not sure if I ever mentioned that I got vol 1 of the Tara King AVENGERS sets.

3 tapes, 6 episodes. :love:

25. longdist01

longdist01 Senior Member

Picked up the 3 VHS set, Mint set

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.