What VHS, Laserdisc, or Beta tape have you gotten lately?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Peacekeepr73, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

No..... THE WHOLE TRIAL IS OUT OF ORDER!!!

Ah man!!

2. Bhob

Bhob Forum Resident

I just got the original Westworld on LD at a local thrift. Looking forward to screening it soon.

3. Phantasm III on VHS, from Goodwill a month or two ago.

Karnak likes this.
  4. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Today I got a movie I ordered in the mail :)

Song of the south (1946) on VHS (This one is in NTSC format)

I think its stupid how they cut down this movie..... ITS NOT ANY WORSE THAN GONE WITH THE WIND OR BLAZING SADDLES!!

5. Rachael Bee

Rachael Bee Miembra muy loca

Is it a Japanese VHS tape? I can't imagine where else it could of been released in NTSC. ....unless it's a bootleg.

6. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

No thankfully its english...... It was done in the UK.... Its a straight copy from the PAL tape to an NTSC machine...... (I think thats the best way as no speedup,etc)

The audio is slightly lower as you would expect from a copy but its beautiful......

I think the same company who made the PAL tape did the NTSC one..... (It says at the start of the tape who did it (Some ppl in london))

7. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

LET IT BE on Laserdisc......finally! And for 25 bucks!

Dan

LeBon Bush likes this.
  8. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I found a still-sealed VHS copy of The Compleat Beatles recently. Still had the original price tag .

9. Rachael Bee

I have a hard time imagining that Disney would allow any of this. I know that Disney released Song Of The South on PAL VHS in Germany. I suspect that the real source might be the very rare Hong Kong rental Laserdisc that has no sub's burned-in....???

Last edited: Apr 27, 2018
  10. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Picked up the Robert Plant "Mumbo Jumbo" vhs this week. The box was a little worn but nothing terrible. Although it was marked 99 cents the clerk just gave it to me!

11. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

I saw. one too. Still kicking myself for not picking it up.

mmars982 likes this.
  12. Vince800

Vince800 Senior Member

Picked up an unused copy of Pink Floyd - Pulse on VHS for free. Not going to unseal it.

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Does it play? The vast majority of them are afflicted with laser rot. A dealer buddy sold one online (he doesn't have a player) to someone in Brazil, and then had to pay to ship it back to the US when it didn't work.

14. Rachael Bee

Rot must really be extreme at this point. I have an HLD-X9 and it can play discs with slight or even moderate rot, not perfectly. of course. I put some rotters in it about two years ago that I had sampled in the past. Some of 'em no longer play at all. An LD of jazz keyboardists, including Herbie Hancock, no longer played at all. It looked like blank videotape with an occasional bit of digital noise here and there. My Leonard Nimoy DiscoVision Demonstration Disc had deteriorated to the point that side 2 wouldn't play at all and side 1 frooze-up several times.

Scopitone and seed_drill like this.
  15. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Yes. Plays well. I really lucked out.

Dan

seed_drill likes this.
  16. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Love Is Understanding

"The Best of Danny Kaye - The Television Years" on VHS for 10 cents. I don't believe all the material on it made it to the DVD sets that came out a few years ago. Well worth the meager investment.

17. Dude111

Dude111 An Awesome Dude

Nope they wouldnt........ This is a straight copy of the PAL UK tape in NTSC format........ (Not many were made)

Disney is trying hard to stop ppl from seeing this.... ITS QUITE STUPID!!

This is a gorgeous movie.......

18. Rachael Bee

It looks really good on the Japanese LD....that I have. Maybe they had some loophole to make some NTSC copies to ship to Canada?

19. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I had a DVD-R dub of the Japanese LD, but it eventually took a back seat to a fan-made Blu-ray I ran across a few years ago that was allegedly sourced from a 16mm IB Tech print. Yeah, I know IB Tech prints really aren't optimal for video transfers, but the resulting disc still looked quite nice in comparison with the other available tapes/LDs/DVDs that I've seen.

20. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

21. DRM

DRM Forum Resident

22. BILLONEEG

BILLONEEG Senior Member

A few years ago I helped my sister move. While we were packing, I came across a brand new sealed VHS tape. I asked her if I could have it & she told me I could. I now have this tape on the shelf with my sealed VHS tape of "The Backstreet Boys-For The Fans" (Burger King promo). The tape I got from my sister is the demo/instruction tape for her old vacuum cleaner. I plan to keep it sealed so I can sell it when it becomes a valuable collectible. :righton::crazy::biglaugh:

Bhob likes this.
  23. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

I'm kinda tempted to get one of these. There are a few indie video stores that are using them as signs (with custom labels bearing the store name):

Giant VHS tape

24. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

The Japanese laserdisc of "Song of the South" is bilungual – Japanese dub on one track and original English on the other.

Subtitles are present only during the songs, as those are in the original English.

25. Rachael Bee

The Hong Kong rental Laserdisc of The Song Of The South has no subtitles and only English. It's super rare. Somebody from Hong Kong told me that it's likely they produced 50 copies or less. Who knows how many copies have survived...??? I watched a copy sell for $1100 nearly 20 years ago on e-Bay. It's the pot of gold beyond the rainbow, for LD collectors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.