What vintage amp/preamp do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by coopmv, Mar 18, 2017.

1. Jelloalien

Jelloalien Stylus Genie

I don't have a ton of comparable or higher end pre-amps to compare it to, but I love the thing. I've rolled a few tubes through and settled on some nos 6922 Siemens. The amperex I had prior were a bit warmer to my ears, but the Siemens are detailed and musical. The stock EH's it came with are decent too....until you hear it with better tubes.

I also love that you can load the cart right from the top of the unit, and my god a difference it can make it sound.

It was right in my budget and I'd happily choose this pre again over others. :) congrats on your purchase

Spin Doctor likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011 Thread Starter

Have you found anything appealing?

3. beercanchicken

beercanchicken Legendary Stickman

I'm always checking my local Craigslist and prices seem to have gotten a bit out of control. I'm not even looking to "match" my Sansui's WPC, just get something older and in nice shape. Regardless of model, 60-70's Pioneer, Marantz, Sansui are $300-350 minimum. The bigger, more coveted WPC ones are start around $600.

*Ex. I just looked this AM, asking prices of first couple I saw: Pioneer SX-9000 for $500. Kenwood KA-7002, $350. 3 Sansui 9090 DBs, $800, $900, $1050

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  4. crimsondonkey

crimsondonkey Forum Resident

Have a pair of Marantz MA-5 monoblocks so now I'm searching for a 240v Marantz SC-6 or 9 to go with them.

5. coopmv

Does Craigslist have better listing for vintage audio gears than eBay? I have never used Craigslist ...

6. beercanchicken

I think a lot has to do with location. eBay has way more diversity because of the global factor but you pay for it. I wouldn't say CL is better than eBay but it's certainly worth checking out. And you get the benefit of testing and checking stuff out beforehand. I always try to sell my stuff on CL first, especially this kind of stuff because I don't want to go through the hassle of packing up and shipping.
    CL can be pretty limited, its mostly just the same couple of people selling stuff and for whatever reason brand diversity seems to be limited. Like, there is rarely any vintage Yamaha on my CL and if there is, it's usually in Wisconsin. But there's consistently a good selection of Pioneer, Sansui and Marantz. Were there no Yamaha dealers in Chicago back in the day? I have no idea but I find it odd.

7. coopmv

It is indeed strange that you do not find any vintage Yamaha gears on your local CL - the greater Chicago. But then southern Wisconsin is not really that far away. I visited Rockford, IL many times back in the mid to late 80's but unfortunately never crossed the stateline into Wisconsin ...

8. coopmv

Vintage Sansui AU-X1 integrated, the most expensive Sansui integrated in 1979 with a total impressive lineup of 14 integrated's ...

[​IMG]

cnolanh, Tim 2 and Walter Koehler like this.
  9. coopmv

Vintage Sansui AU-20000 integrated ...

[​IMG]

cnolanh, BigGame, Sugar Man and 4 others like this.
  10. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I gave a Luxman c120a preamp that has just gone funky. I will probably put it in Craigslist to give away. My trusty NAD 320BEE is now serving preamp duty.

11. coopmv

Vintage Yamaha A-1 integrated ...

[​IMG]

Grootna, Walter Koehler and Bhob like this.
  12. coopmv

Vintage SAE Two A7 integrated ...

[​IMG]

SandAndGlass and Walter Koehler like this.
  13. coopmv

Vintage Denon PMA-850 integrated ...

[​IMG]

Walter Koehler likes this.
  14. coopmv

Vintage Sansui AU-D7 integrated ...

[​IMG]

15. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I have a Sansui AUX 911DG in storage, it's a nice unit. A companion to my Sansui CDX 711 CD player.

[​IMG]

Walter Koehler and BigGame like this.
  16. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

That monster has to be the king of integrated amps.

17. kuma

kuma Forum Resident

I own 2 vintage preamps:
    Meridian 101 Control Amp/105 Power amps
    Minimalistic design. Volume control has two rings. One for the level and another ring for balance avoiding two separate knobs plus on/off switch.

[​IMG]
    Inputs are also limited.
    [​IMG]
    Meridian 101/105 in situ. I was also running a vintage cartridge. ( Sumiko Andante )
    [​IMG]
    Also I use a Naim NAC52. This preamp came with a set of self adhesive label where you can stick on the inputs you want on the front panel as well as for the remote. Quaint!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Walter Koehler, Descartridge and Bhob like this.
  18. coopmv

Haven't seen such volume control in some times. IIRC, it used to be much more prevalent back in the day when audio gears had better build quality ...

19. coopmv

20. coopmv

Seriously, we don't see beautifully made gears like this anymore ...

21. coopmv

Vintage Yamaha M4 amp ...

[​IMG]

22. kuma

kuma Forum Resident

Has Mark Levinson ML1 preamp been mentioned?
    [​IMG]
    A total antithesis to knob infested Japanese hifi. This was very minimal in design and I see it's still fetching pretty good price on ebay for one.
    You get an input selector, monitor switch/two balance knobs ( I reckon this was a dual mono design ), stereo/mono switch, gain switch and volume control. I've never heard one.

Tim 2 and BigGame like this.
  23. coopmv

I believe it was listed many pages back ...

24. beercanchicken

Man, I was just looking at one of these yesterday. Stunning.

25. Sugar Man

Sugar Man Forum Resident

This one I just picked up off of eBay. Love it and actually enjoying the flexibility of tone controls and the meatiness of the Loudness button :righton:.

[​IMG]