What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I still have all my Stereo Review from the late 70's through the early 2000's. After Stereo Review became Sound & Vision, I decided it was time to cancel my subscription for good. I do not like to subscribe to a video mag.
    Tech HiFi was a great retailer and the sales folks were generally honest, not snake-oil salesmen ...

2. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Just recently got one of these guys...
    [​IMG]

3. kindor

kindor New Member

Hi CrazyCatz. Before I posted my question I thought I would look through and see if t was already answered. I'm trying to decide what speakers would be best for a Technics SA-500 and see that you have a 500. I would appreciate any advice and recommendations. Thanks!

CrazyCatz likes this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

What a beauty!

CrazyCatz and lesterbangs like this.
  5. PhxJohn

PhxJohn Forum Resident

I have a Marantz 2220B and I would like to buy a more powerful Marantz 22XX. The 'XX' being the next two digits that refer to the rated watt output. I love the looks of the 22 series.

panasoffkee likes this.
  6. lesterbangs

lesterbangs Forum Resident

Thanks! It really ties the room together!

[​IMG]

Dennis0675 and kindor like this.
  7. Walter Koehler

Walter Koehler Forum Resident

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
  8. Walter Koehler

[​IMG]
    ps.great little Funmachine blackfaced Sansui 331

MisterNines likes this.
  9. Billion$Baby

Billion$Baby Forum Resident

Just picked up this Top of the Line LUXMAN R-1120. Can not believe the details/transparency/instrument separation etc this receiver has for the 76-79 time frame it was available. Completely bests my multiple Pioneer 1250's and Marantz 2325's. When playing "busy" Classic Rock you don't notice much of a difference BUT when playing quieter moments from Dire Straits "Making Movies" or Springsteen "Wild and Innocent" albums for example I hear stuff I have never heard before. On NYC Serenade anybody can hear a spot or 2 where it sounds like a record player is dropping a disc and then some other noises (Chairs moving??) that shouldn't be there...Ive always heard those...but using this receiver you hear about 10 "incidents" of stuff going on behind the scenes...its almost distracting to a fault. Still nice to hear stuff that I haven't heard for 40+ years on the same recordings. Im sure if I played Classical Music...I don't...or Acoustic stuff (Gordon Lightfoot/Fogelberg etc) I would be even more impressed. I will also add I don't play records so these musings are coming from the best CD versions available. Pioneer, Sansui and Marantz receivers of respectable quality will run you around $1000 or more. I got this Luxman for around $400...with no restoration done. Have no idea how the lower Luxmans sound (30,40,50,70 models) but if you can grab one for a couple of hundred bucks I think its worth your experimentation. You might be giddily surprised like me. Later today I will be hooking up a TOTL Nikko 1415 I also got in yesterday...I will post photos here after I have given it an audition. [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. arem

arem Forum Resident

I recently found a few old receivers in a basement that I'm auditioning in my living room setup. Tried a Rotel 603 that sounded good but seems to have a problem with a channel dropping out intermittently and a Sansui 2000a that wouldn't light up all the way and now I'm really enjoying this Sony STR-7045.

[​IMG]

I think it's going to replace my 15 year old Rotel Rx975, and I'm looking for a tech to restore the Sansui. Anyone have suggestion for a good tech near the PA Lehigh Valley area?

11. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Your picture got deleted.I have a little 331 that sounds pretty damn good.

12. Billion$Baby

Here is my latest addition. A 160 WPC NIKKO NR 1415 that looks like it was made yesterday. Never thought I would be buying an "Off Brand" but this thing is stellar. Vocals more Upfront and the drums are just Thunderous compared to my other gear. Not as detailed as the Luxman I posted above...but this thing surely ROCKS with the best of them. Also has a MIDRANGE level knob which is always welcome

[​IMG] [​IMG]

13. GroovyGuy

GroovyGuy Forum Resident

Not sure if these fit into the vintage windoe but ......

I was running a NAD 7155 receiver in my home office system and was very pleased with both it's phono stage and it's sound. I gave it to my stepson - along with a pair of Paradigm V.4's I had lying around to use in the bedroom at his father's house (hope his father enjoys listening to Megadeath on that rig lol).

In any case, I was able to pick up a near mint NAD 3150 amp that had been completely serviced recently along with a NAD 4450 tuner. Then only issue with them is a cosmetic scratch on the tuner faceplate but other that that they are in very good shape. So far, I think I like the sound from the 3150 even better than the 7155 through both the phono stage and from my DAC. I might actually keep these for a while lol.

[​IMG]

c-eling and JohnO like this.
  14. Walter Koehler

Sansui 331 blackfaced

[​IMG]

15. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Fisher 400.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  16. Walter Koehler

Aloha

Pioneer C-200 just back from Service very cool little Receiver from around 1965 found this beauty during my last trip to Asia

excellent Soundstage with the Matsushita 6BM8 output Tubes later ill try Siemens NOS ECL 82

anyway this one is a keeper and xtra rare hard to find any Information about this cute 1965 audiowunder

cheers
    :cheers:

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Simon A, Sugar Man, ronm and 3 others like this.
  17. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Forum Resident

I used this guy once to fix a McIntosh MA6300 integrated. Had a channel issue. He seemed good, not to crazy on the price either.

CJ's Classic Audio Service - Contact Charlie Huss

Can't drop off directly to him, you have to go through once of the shops listed above (I have no affiliation with either). I used the one in Sinking Springs, but I see a Manheim shop (that I am not familar with). Took awhile, but if your in no hurry he's an option. I'd call the shop(s) to see if he works on your brand/model.

18. coopmv

Very nice! I wonder if this was a European model that was not available in the US?

19. coopmv

Vintage 1970 Kenwood KR-6170 receiver ...

[​IMG]

20. coopmv

21. coopmv

22. coopmv

Vintage 1970 Marantz receiver ...

[​IMG]

Walter Koehler and c-eling like this.
  23. coopmv

Vintage 1970 Philips receiver combo ...

[​IMG]

Walter Koehler likes this.
  24. Billion$Baby

That's from the early 80's not the 70's...I have one

Walter Koehler likes this.
  25. coopmv

Thanks for the correction. Does it still work?