What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

2. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Please include Trigger Warnings when posting Fisher BPC from the 80s!

This was the stuff a significant ex's parents unloaded on us - and which I listened to for almost a decade.

So grateful I found a NAD 3020 at a local Value Village thrift store (I was looking at a most-likely mediocre NEC receiver, and some closet audiophile nudged me and said "get that NAD. It's a classic piece of hifi."

Thus starteth my journey into hi-fi.

On the other hand, if I had stayed with the Fisher stuff, I would have THOUSANDS of dollars in my bank account!

Saint Johnny likes this.
  3. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Henry Kloss

4. Saint Johnny

The difference between vintage high quality/engineered Fisher say, from 1950s through late 1960s was almost completely obscured by that 1970s and 80s BPC!

5. DisobedientPeasant

DisobedientPeasant Active Member

Guess I ruffled some feathers on that one. Ha! Oops

Maybe it was all junk. But it wasn’t to me back then.

Saint Johnny and Bubbamike like this.
  6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I have an NAD 7100 receiver and I still think it’s very sweet! Sounds great although it does have that classic NAD house sound or sonic signature. Mostly sins of omission make it easy to live with.

NAD 7100 Review

7. DisobedientPeasant

DisobedientPeasant Active Member

Trust me. I know what’s good and what isn’t. The whole things probably worth less than a Bluetooth keychain speaker. That’s why I said “sentimental” reasons

BeaTleBob5 likes this.
  8. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

9. Saint Johnny

10. ralf11

ralf11 Forum Resident

Saint Johnny likes this.
  11. Saint Johnny

So so, close?
    Just like that saying about, Atomic bombs? LOL :shtiphat::hide:

(thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week...)

12. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Exactly and that is what is important. Enjoy your system. It is easy to forget that we once thought something like that was the best. Congratulations.

bluesaddict likes this.
  13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I own one of these. The tape monitor switch has been iffy for 30 years but when you get it positioned just right, it works fine. Who said hi-fi should be easy? I also repainted the case at some point. No matter how bad it looked before, by now it looks worse. Still, I love this receiver. With preamp outs and power amp inputs, I've used my Advent 300 receiver as a stand alone tuner, preamp, and power amp. For just $265, it was unique even back in the old days. Today it would be impossible to replace.

Rickchick, you'll appreciate this. I can't tell you what I paid for mine. I was selling stereos in Rochester, Minnesota, when a competitor wanted something we sold. I wanted an Advent 300 from his store. We made a swap. At the most I paid $150 for this receiver.

Advent 300 receiver review, Stereophile, 1977

billnunan and Rickchick like this.
  14. Socalguy

Socalguy Forum Resident

I have a baby Marantz 2015

Fender Relic likes this.
  15. olschl

olschl Forum Resident

I replaced a Yamaha CR-820 with a Nakamichi Receiver 2 (Harmonic Time Alignment) in 1992. It still sounds lovely. Great MM phono section. It's not a Nelson Pass, and I've never heard one so I can't compare. Every once in a while I'm tempted to bid on a TA-3A or SR-4; but then I worry about parts availability. Besides, I don't think I could mothball the Receiver 2.

nosliw likes this.
  16. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Seems to be some Nakamichi love around here. My SR-3A is in my main system and sees daily use.

[​IMG]

I also have a Fisher 175T. This was originally purchased by my-father-in law as a wedding gift to himself. He and my mother-in-law drove from CA to NC a few years back to visit us and brought it along as a gift. It spends it's time as the amplification for streaming music in the living room.

[​IMG]

MisterNines, nosliw, olschl and 4 others like this.
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

:righton:

Nice Nak receiver and the Fisher receiver looks to be an original Fisher receiver instead of one produced by Sanyo after the latter bought out Fisher ...

nosliw and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  18. Trabik

Trabik Forum Resident

Thanks!

My father-in-law can't remember for sure when he bought the 175T. They were married in the late summer of '68, so he thinks late '68 or early '69 for the original purchase. It is a great receiver!

19. coopmv

I think the Sanyo buyout came much later, perhaps in the early 80's ...

doctor fuse and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  20. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

From the Wikipedia article on Fisher:

"The company was originally formed in 1937[clarification needed] byAvery Fisher in New York before being sold to the Emerson Electric Company for US$31 million in 1969. It was subsequently sold byEmerson Electric to Sanyo Electric of Japan in 1975, where it remained until 2010 when Sanyo was purchased by Panasonic.[1] But the Fisher brand was phased out owing to the termination of Sanyo by Panasonic in 2012."

21. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

I just bought a Sansui AU-719 & just love it.
    [​IMG]
    Specifications
    Power output: 90 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.015%

Damping factor: 110

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (MM), 200mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 88dB (MM), 100dB (line)

Channel separation: 65dB (MM), 70dB (line)

Output: 200mV (line)

Speaker load impedance: 8Ω (minimum)

Dimensions: 430 x 168 x 395mm

Weight: 16kg

Year: 1980

I also own a Kenwood KA-8006 which use to belong to my brother. I was with him when he bought it back in 1974.

[​IMG]
    Specifications
    Power output: 70 watts per channel into 8Ω (stereo)

Frequency response: 10Hz to 20kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.2%

Damping factor: 30

Input sensitivity: 2.5mV (mic), 2.5mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 76dB (mic), 76dB (MM), 90dB (line)

Output: 150mV (line), 40mV (DIN)

Dimensions: 435 x 157 x 300mm

Weight: 13.5kg

Year: 1974

They both are outstanding integrated amplifiers. About five years ago I bought a Cambridge 840A integrated amp, close to $2,000.00 CDN, brand new technology, rave reviews. These two amps eat amps like the 840A for breakfast. :evil:

Bobsblkwax, billnunan and SirMarc like this.
  22. coopmv

Most vintage amps are much better built than new amps ... :agree:

Saint Johnny, PooreBoy and BeaTleBob5 like this.
  23. BeaTleBob5

BeaTleBob5 John, Paul, George, Ringo & Bob

Yes, I agree with your opinion. Also, the total Watts on the vintage amps is apparently more than indicated in the specs. Something to do with different measurements (?) nowadays or something along those lines. Being tech savvy (although God knows I tried learning) isn't one of my strengths.

I also like the aesthetic look of most vintage amps compared to modern ones. Like my Kenwood KA8006 for example. All those metal switches and tone knobs really stand out like older cars with a lot of chrome on them.

billnunan, PooreBoy and SirMarc like this.
  24. coopmv

Other than the cheap metal chassis, most buttons and knobs on a modern receiver are made of plastic ...

BeaTleBob5 and Saint Johnny like this.
  25. Saint Johnny

My Mac 1900 receiver weighs close to 40 lbs. While my Yamaha B-2 power amp weighs in at 60 lbs, all by itself.

BeaTleBob5 likes this.