What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Is this a 30 year old receiver?

2. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

About 45 years old. late 1973/early '74.

3. hex lumphries

hex lumphries Forum Resident

Fisher 500c! Need to get it looked at though and maybe swap out some old tubes. Very muddy sounding right now.

While I raise the $ for the repair, still enjoying a yamaha CR-420.

bluesaddict likes this.
  4. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

OOOPS....just sold my 8080 for $325. Probably not a great move but it went to a friend who also paid for the tune up/repair before the sale. I'm glad he got it and I can always visit :) Now, I'm wondering if it's worth getting my 7070 tuned up/repaired as the cabinet is not in the best cosmetic shape. Maybe just off it for parts or trade for a smaller, older, working Sansui.

5. doctor fuse

doctor fuse Forum Resident

Now I regret selling my 7045!

nick99nack likes this.
  6. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Cabinet repairs are pretty easy and quite achievable with barely any real tooling needed.
    Is it damaged or just rattty?

Fender Relic likes this.
  7. coopmv

So the receiver is older than you! I know a twenty-year old that loves vinyl ...

nick99nack likes this.
  8. nick99nack

nick99nack Forum Resident

Yeah, my interests don't really match up with my age group at all. I have 700+ LPs, about 300 CD/SACDs, and a bunch of 8-tracks, reel to reel tapes, etc. Been collecting since I was little. Someone gave me an iPod touch one time, ended up selling it and buying a new turntable :)

SirMarc and billnunan like this.
  9. coopmv

iPod only does MP3, it is not hi-res sound like CD's or even LP's ... :agree:

10. Fender Relic

Ratty and wood veneer is peeling and off in a few places. I was actually thinking of getting some psychedelic contact paper to cover it up and make it a one of a kind ;)

11. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Re-Veneer it. Or maybe have it wrapped?

12. Quidjay

Quidjay Well-Known Member

I have a Pioneer SX-838. It puts a nice big, baudy sound and has a 2 pretty dang good phono stages in it 3-zone speaker hookups and a plethora of hookups for recording. It, like many of the vintage receivers, suffers from dirty pots rather easily and doesn't fit in trying to have more modern components play along, but I wouldn't trade it. I will, however, soon be relegating it to a spare room and not keeping it as a feature of my current system (as much as I'd like to keep it in the mix).

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Manimal, Sugar Man, ronm and 8 others like this.
  13. coopmv

I have never sold any of my audio components but did give away a Kenwood integrated amp to the Salvation Army to make room for a newer amp/preamp. The downside: I do have quite a few amps and receivers sitting idle or in the box ...

14. Fender Relic

That's a beauty! Every Pioneer receiver I've found out in the wild has had problems or needs work so I never saw them thru just sold them off for parts. I'd like to try one at some point. It's funny that I've found lots of Pioneer TT's and use a PL-560 a lot in my upstairs system. Also, lots of HPM Pioneer speakers have served me well. I have HPM 60's at work in the garage.

15. coopmv

You probably made good money to be in the Pioneer receiver parts biz, just saying ... :biglaugh::D

16. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Have a Marantz 2225 and don't want anything else.

[​IMG]

Manimal, Sugar Man, Bhob and 2 others like this.
  17. Fender Relic

Not sure I get that but I'm glad you are so happy!

18. coopmv

I was referring to your statement every not-working Pioneer receivers you had bought ended up being sold for parts. No?

19. Fender Relic

OK...didn't make any money though,just lucky to break even. Hopefully a nice clean working one is out there waiting to be picked up.

20. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I had one of these and really liked the amp section in it.I had to keep using it or the black buttons would start getting sticky and cutting out.In downsizing I sold it for $100.Wouldn't mind having it back.

21. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I have a 7065 and compared to their contemporaries they are underrated.

nick99nack likes this.
  22. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Nice!

23. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Sweet setup! Love the classics, I gave one just like it to one of my best friends and its his pride and joy. I must have been crazy:)

SirMarc and Aftermath like this.
  24. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

Hey, thanks!

Manimal likes this.
  25. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Very true! When I got my SX1250 I couldn’t believe how heavy. sixty eight lbs to be exact. And it sounds heavy:)

SirMarc likes this.