What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. allied333

allied333 Audiophile

It was around for 2 months on ebay. I was looking at it, but had no use for it. Then, I bought a separate amp & needed a tuner. No rush, but finally did some research and found out it was a Pioneer tuner. He wanted $200 at first and then finally listed for $75 with $200 BIN. No one outbid me and I got it for $75 + $22 shipping. Seller states in like new condition. I have same tuner in my Allied 333 receiver per the schematic. I know how good it sounds and it receives a lot of FM stations (sensitive tuner).

Wes H and Runicen like this.
  2. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I want back my Kirksaeter Moderator 200

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Bhob likes this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

A German-made receiver?

4. bullmkt3

bullmkt3 Forum Resident

McIntosh MX-110z.

5. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

I would certainly enjoy having my Studer/ReVox B780 back again, a beautiful receiver indeed! Also owned the B-285, another great product!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

djost and Bhob like this.
  6. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

Yes sir, West German hand made....Stupendous all around!!

7. coopmv

I saw Kirksaeter speakers at a NY audio show many years ago. The company may no longer have a presence in the US or perhaps no longer in business ...

8. WHitese

WHitese Senior Member

I had their speakers too....pretty good speakers!

[​IMG]

9. coopmv

But is Kirksaeter the company still around? Telefunken is now history and I inherited a Telefunken stereo console from my late father ...

10. Dougr33

Dougr33 Forum Resident

Oh, that top one was a beauty. I can't remember exact pricing, but that receiver with matching cassette deck and tangential-arm turntable was a beautiful set (oh... add the reel to reel!). Anyway, I think this was early 80s.. went with Tandberg electronics, Nak Dragon and Thorens. But, sure lusted after the Revox stuff.

11. coopmv

I have the B-760 tuner but it does not power up. Either some internal fuse has blown or the power supply gone bad. I replaced some external fuse a while back to no avail ...

[​IMG]

12. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I have one of these with some stuck function buttons.I run it in direct mode with an Audiosource EQ series 8 equalizer pushing some Cerwin Vega D9s.Love the way it looks and sounds with the eq.

13. Whay

Whay Forum Resident

Never understood the want for a vintage receiver

14. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I never understood why I love whisky but I still do:)

Artdob, Machiventa, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  15. Litejazz53

Litejazz53 Perfect Sound Through Crystal Clear Digital

16. coopmv

I have heard about JM Technical Arts being the top repair shop for Revox components ...

17. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

I've got a 'complete' vintage Sansui rig (except for a NAD CD player which I really do enjoy immensely) .

Took 6.5 years to find all the gear, from 7 countries, and put it together. No complaints here, sounds great!

4_everyman and BigGame like this.
  18. coopmv

Your tech had to love you as you no doubt would need to convert the voltage on some of the Sansui components ...

19. ronm

ronm audiofreak

It's like wrapping yourself in a big cozy sound rug filled with money.

20. coopmv

Most people with half a brain would love those components from the golden era of audio. Fast forward to today, if you do not plunk down some big bucks, all you will get is some black econobox, ugly as hell with little brand differentiations - cuz they all come from the same contract factory in you-know-where ...

21. Mssisem

Mssisem Forum Resident

Marantz 2226 will always be one of my favorites. Splits the difference between the high and low models and has the tubey sound with lots of detail.

BigGame likes this.
  22. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Fisher 500B. I had it gone over, about 8 or 10 years ago, by Bill Thalmann at Music Technology. After consultation, he went with a rebuild that bypassed the low and high filter switches and some other less apparent changes. I remember asking if it that wasn't some form of sacrilege, and his reply (paraphrasing here, as the email is long gone from my files), "I'd like to think that I'm doing what Avery Fisher would approve, if he were alive today." I liked that. And I liked the way it sounded with a pair of Klipsch Hereseys that I grabbed off of CL.

[​IMG]

23. bluesky

bluesky Senior Member

Everything is 120V.

24. coopmv

What countries other than the US and Canada operate at 120V?

25. coopmv

Fisher + Klipsch = the All American Sound :righton:

Subagent likes this.