What vintage receiver do you have/want?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Nov 23, 2014.

1. russk

russk Forum Resident

I paid 600.00 for the one I have in my closet about 2 years ago. It's near mint but no wood case. They're 125wpc according to Marantz. I've seen them go for as high as a grand lately.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  2. rcspkramp

rcspkramp Forum Resident

I have a couple of vintage receivers, a fully restored Marantz 2245 and a B & O 4000. However, I always wanted the Hervic HR 150 which was built by SAE.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  3. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

Amazing - today I was off of work and a nice condition Yamaha 2020 was posted on CL for a very good price with original packaging box, manual, etc. I called, was lucky to be first in line, drove an hour and voila life is good. Once in awhile you get shown the Light in the strangest places if you look at it right. Other than needing some lights seems great but I will likely have a tech look. The Yamaha 1020 continues to truly blow me away matched to ADS L880's. I am going to use the 2020 in another system. I am a big fan of vintage Yamaha amps and ADS speakers. I am not sure it gets much better at least to these ears.

4. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'd love to own one of those...just beautiful! Hook it up!

Gang-Twanger and CrazyCatz like this.
  5. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

still haven't seen anyone with a Concept yet...

Whoopycat likes this.
  6. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

I'd like this. I can't afford it, but I'd like it.

[​IMG]

7. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile...

8. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

I would want my aunt's (yes aunt not uncle) ReVox b285, but eBay have it in their top 6 so stays pricey
    [​IMG]
    Never owned a receiver...as a tuner used to run Quad FM4 but it is now too superior to the signal it gets fed.

I think its not a vintage receiver I dream of, but the vintage shows.

Gang-Twanger, Gavinyl and BKphoto like this.
  9. russk

russk Forum Resident

It lost its spot to a Fisher 500c. I was hoping the Marantz would sound better because I prefer the look but alas I just don't think you can top those tubed Fisher and Scott units.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. chrischerm

chrischerm Forum Resident

Never had tubes, but 500 C and 800 C sure look nice!

Gang-Twanger and Dennis0675 like this.
  11. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

Oh com'on, they're only goin' for 4 or 5K restored! :D

Pinknik and chrischerm like this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

well you are fortunate to have both...cool.

13. Warped In Storage

Warped In Storage Active Member

I wonder where ever Yamaha acquired their inspiration from
    [​IMG]

14. avbuff

avbuff Forum Resident

That's a Beaut - don't see many of these around. This model in blackface is quite stunning also.

CrazyCatz and Warped In Storage like this.
  15. Warped In Storage

Warped In Storage Active Member

I do have a black face am 2400 that I keep as a back up, the AA1175 was a one owner from new find local to me mint condition and for £70 ( around 100 dollars) I. Couldn't say no. She sounds as good as she looks too and the tuner performance is excellent,
    akai always did good tuners.
    Wouldn't mind getting my hands on an aa1200 am pretty sure they were dual mono 120wpc rare as hens teeth though.

CrazyCatz likes this.
  16. readingm

readingm Senior Member

17. Currently, I use the massive Pioneer QX-949 in my quadraphonic system.
    [​IMG]

Before this one and now in storage, the Sansui QRX-7500.
    [​IMG]

MisterNines, Simon A, Manimal and 5 others like this.
  18. Gang-Twanger

Gang-Twanger Forum Resident

I have one of these, the Fisher 800C. Mine's from 1964. Had it restored/retubed with n.o.s. Westinghouse 7591's & RCA longplate 12ax7's.
    [​IMG]

And the Fisher is powering a pair of these old bad boys, the Wharfedale W90's. I grabbed fhese pictures off Google because they really show the inner workings. These must have been re-grilled (Mine aren't removable). Not sure about this version, but mine are from 1963, with all alnico drivers, including two Super 3 tweeters per cab (at the top left and right). These speakers with a Fisher are a slice of pure heaven. A righteous combination.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pretty sure this pair is a year or two later than mine, but basically the same (With mine, both woofers are front-ported,,,No rear vent). That woofer section is subdivided (Each woofer has it's own tuned enclosure), and behind each woofer is a sand-filled rear panel (The pair in these pics each have one sand-filled rear panel and one rear vent... Mine have dual front ports and dual sand-filled rear panels). Above those rear panels is an upper rear section where the crossover is located. I recapped mine with n.o.s. Sprague and Sangamo oil caps. For Beatles, Stones, Doors, Hendrix, & other classic rock from the '60's to early '70's, they're about the best help you can get. Same goes for old funk/soul stuff like James Brown, Isaac Hayes, the Temptations, etc. (and jazz-funk too, or old blues and jazz, pretty much anything from back in the day). It's what they do, and they do it really, really-well.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 18, 2016
  19. sami

sami Mono still rules

I was very happy with a Marantz 2238B for years, but it was replaced by the warmer sounding Sansui 771, but that was until I found this beauty. I'd love to have a Fisher or Scott tube amp one day, but for now this Sansui 2000X is just fine.

[​IMG]

MisterNines, Simon A, Bhob and 4 others like this.
  20. BigGame

BigGame Forum Resident

I have Onkyo TX4500mk2

21. Gang-Twanger

Look up...

The old early to mid '60's Wharfedales (preferably the big models) are a perfect match for the old tube Fishers. Just keep everything tuned (and tubed) on the warmer side. I wouldn't recommend Telefunken tubes in other words. Kinda' works against what those speakers are all about, which is givin' ya' the warm fuzzies inside. Very-open-sounding with perfect mids and a lively, engaging, uber-musical quality. Excellent timbre and separation. A VERY-natural-sounding speaker. Wonderful tweeters.

22. Gang-Twanger

I'm not robargebi (I have an 800C, not a 500C), but I found a beautiful combination with Westinghouse 7591's and RCA 12ax7's. Really keeps the focus on musicality. And my speakers really need "musical" (Actually, they kind of require it to do what they do best).

russk likes this.
  23. Gang-Twanger

Yeah, the 2000x is a keeper. I always assumed I would prefer it to the later Sansui models. It's definitely one of their most-tubelike receivers (and probably one of the most-tubelike, period). You would surely love a Fisher with some warm-voiced tubes. The 2000x is a looker too.

Wally Swift, abescan and sami like this.
  24. SpeedMorris

SpeedMorris Forum Resident

I grabbed a Marantz 2220B in 2000 for $100 shipped- my first eBay purchase. Never was too keen on the sound (hard), but may not have ever had the right speakers with it or maybe it needed a restoration. It sits around in my son's vacated (accept for holidays) basement room.

Got a very nice Pioneer SX-737 for the same $100 shipped maybe 10 years ago. It's hooked up in the aforementioned room and plays vinyl along with a Music Hall MMF-2.2.

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

Marantz 2226B. Smooth and the best built piece of equipment (except the damn lights) I've ever owned. Turn one on and let it run for the next 20 years. At this point ... 50 years.