What vinyl have you been listening to? With ratings..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chrome_Head, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident Thread Starter

Posting on these forums has made me want to delve back in to my vinyl collection, which wasn't getting a lot of love from me for awhile. I'll be posting what I've been listening to along with some thoughts, & I invite you to do the same.

(Optional: post a rating / mini-review, if you like).

Last night's listening (was in a classic rock kind of mood):

1 - Dark Side of the Moon (side 1) - My old copy is in pretty good shape, no pops or skips. Gilmore's vocals sounded a little harsh and sibilant to me on "Time" though. Maybe it's my turntable. Damn if this album still isn't one of the craziest things I've ever heard. 10/10

2 - Wish You Were Here (side 1, title song only) - Wish my WYWH vinyl copy was in as good a shape as my DSotM. Lots of skips through the title song, and noise. It settles down by the time "Welcome To The Machine" starts. I bought this used a long time ago. May be time to start looking into a replacement. Album: 10/10, My copy: 5/10.

3 - The Notorious Byrd Brothers ("Draft Morning", "Wasn't Born To Follow") - Will always be my favorite Byrds album. This sounds amazing. 10 / 10

4 - The Who - Rarities Vol. 1: 1966 - 1968 (various songs) - Mixed bag here. I've always liked "Disguises", what a weird song. Lots of Entwistle b-sides. Stones cover A & B sides. This is one I haven't got out much for a reason. 4/10

5 - The Byrds - Never Before (various songs) - This is a good comp, but it sounds a little flat. I do wonder what this record's tracks were sourced from. Great to have "Triad" and "Lady Friend". "It Happens Every Day" is nice nugget too. 7/10

6 - Buffalo Springfield Again ("Expecting To Fly", "Bluebird") - Simply bliss. These songs sound amazing. 10/10

7 - Neil Young - After The Goldrush (various) - What is there to say? One of the man's best, a top 5 NY album for me quite easily. My old copy is in good shape, sounds awesome. 10/10

8 - Jethro Tull - Benefit (side 1) - I tend to forget how much I enjoy this album. A-side is killer; "For Michael Collins, Jeffrey and Me" is a great tune. 9/10

2. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Picked up Manfred Man :Chapter Three
    Orig twirly U.K. Vertigo. Brilliant music hasn't dated, jazz fusion Bowie thing going for it. One track was used in KickAss called One Way Glass.
    Wish I had a pristine copy mines sticks on a couple of tracks. Mint goes for 125.00, thankfully I got mine for a song >>15.00. Ratings ?
    music wise 9/10
    Cover condition 7/10
    Vinyl ( 1969) Sombody must have loved it, sure got played by the looks of it, so fair/good.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Chrome_Head and c-eling like this.
  3. alexpop

Better score /condition wise.
    David Crosby:
    if only I could remember my name
    USA /vinyl mint cover mint.
    Haven't played it yet. Got original Atlantic inner.

4. Chrome_Head

Sent away for and got Alice In Chains 2 record set of their EP's Jar Of Flies and Sap.

I have always loved the Jar Of Flies EP--some really nice, deep and atmospheric sounds on there. The record sounds great--drums pack a nice punch and the acoustic guitars pop even better.

The Sap EP is a nice bonus but I haven't checked out the record yet.

Got a nice brand new pressing from 2010--it's not the colored vinyl version, but I just glad to have this great EP on vinyl finally.

Jar Of Flies / side 1: 10/10

Great album. I bought the fancy 5.1 remaster / remix a number of years ago, but I still prefer the sound of the original record.

5. bxbluesman

bxbluesman Forum Resident

I've been transferring my vinyl to mini disc so I've been doing a good amount of listening lately. Most recent:
    Eric Clapton - Crossroads Box set. I have most of the songs in the set on separate albums, but nice to have a nice career overview in one place. - 8/10
    Howlin' Wolf - The London Sessions. I still get a kick out of the Wolf trying to teach Clapton how to play Little Red Rooster the right way. - 8/10
    B.B. King - Live at the Regal.
    B.B. at the peak of his powers in front of an adoring audience. He really was the King of the Blues and the genre's greatest - 10/10.
    ambassador. I was fortunate to be able to hear him play live in the early 90s in NYC.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  6. jacksonwalker

jacksonwalker Forum Resident

Last night: the original promo copy of Dire Straits "Making Movies". The utter and total silence of the vinyl still surprises me. Plenty dynamic and rich-sounding.
    Two nights ago: the original store copy of Yes "The Yes Album". Side one terrific sounding, while side two is very good (but pales in comparison to side one).
    Recently: the original store copy of Steely Dan "Greatest Hits". Sound quality very good, making it hard to believe the songs are second-generation copies (as I think all pre-digital vinyl Greatest Hits albums must have been).
    Also original store copy of Badfinger "Straignt Up". Another Lee Hulko mastering triumph (I think my copy is the Los Angeles pressing).

7. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

Orchestral Manoeuvres In The Dark
    First album - 1980 - 8-10
    Architecture & Morality - 9-10
    Organization - 9-10
    Dazzle Ships - 9-10

8. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Loreena McKennitt - Troubadors Of The Rhine: 10/10. A pleasant surprise, very intimate and vibrant live recording.

Loreena McKennitt - The Mask And Mirror: 9/10. I've listened to it about 4 times since purchase and although it sounds great, I don't hear that it's much different from the CD. I have yet to compare them directly though. Not bad at all but it doesn't make me want to rush out and buy all of them.

Iron Butterfly - Heavy (Mono): 10/10. Lovely mono mix on a nice, solid, quiet LP.

Deep Purple - Concerto for Group and Orchestra deluxe box set: 10/10. Almost didn't buy this because my old WB LP sounds so awful, but I'm glad I got it. Superb in every way.

Yes - Progeny: 8/10. Good pressing, sounds good (much better than Yessongs), but it underscores how much I like Yes as a studio band. I feel like I'm missing a couple more Jon Andersons. Could use a few more Steve Howes as well.

lemonade kid likes this.
  9. alexpop

Minidisc's are a great medium for mix~comps.

krisjay and bxbluesman like this.
  10. alexpop

Postscript:
    I cleaned up the two "sticking" tracks, and the songs play flauntlessly now.Eureka.

11. Chrome_Head

This morning, I'm spinning The Byrds' Never Before compilation. I just realized I posted about this in the post I started the thread with, but I have since redone my home equipment with a new audio receiver and some cabling. My vinyl, in effect, sounds a lot better (though a new turntable is really what will be needed next). So I'm checking out Never Before again.

[​IMG]

A collection from 1987 which was meant to ostensibly gather alt-mixes and other songs that languished on singles releases or were simply never released, this is a decent collection, with a few Gene Clark numbers getting some attention. Though the version of "Eight Miles High" here, an alt-take, has some particular sluggish-sounding vocals. The version of "Why" here isn't as strong vocal-wise either, but the guitar solos rip.

Still, the reason I'm very glad I bought this collection is for Crosby's "Triad", "It Happens Each Day", and "Lady Friend", three great songs left off of The Notorious Byrd Bros, and which appear here in some good mixes. Though the internal booklet mentions Crosby assisted with the 1987 remix of "Lady Friend", and the drum track here sounds re-recorded and pasted in from that era. There is also a nice fold-out poster included. 8/10

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

1 - Cloud Nothings, Life Without Sound (2017). A lot of great tunes, but fizzles out a bit at the end so a 7.5/10

2 - Elbow, Little Fictions (2017). Getting better with each listen so I'll give this a solid 8/10.

[​IMG]

13. David Austin

David Austin Eclectically Coastal

Last night...

Beatles For Sale (stereo, early '80s pressing)
    Hypnotised - The Undertones

Ratings? They were both very good.

14. sailingsinkingships

sailingsinkingships Forum Resident

A few years ago I purchased an unopened Atlantic Super Savers copy of Willie Nelson's "Shotgun Willie" for $4. I opened it this morning and played it. Some classic Willie songs. The vinyl was almost perfectly quiet. There seemed to be a great deal of sibilance at times on especially a song like Sad Songs and Waltzes.
    Album: 9.0/10
    My copy: 8/10

zebop likes this.
  15. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Beck - Guero 9/10, 9/10 (latest pressing, single lp)

Tombby and IanL like this.
  16. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

This re-issue sounds amazing.

ODShowtime, Headfone and dkmonroe like this.
  17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Bryan Ferry - The Bride Stripped Bare. Picked up from record shop cheap rack for £4. Music - 8/10 on first listen. I'd never heard this before. Sound quality / condition - 9/10. Very flimsy vinyl but sounds good. Perfect condition. No clicks, wear or crackle.

18. Chrome_Head

Rolling Stones - Let It Bleed - still my favorite of their studio albums by far. My pressing is in good shape, but I'm having a hard time finding out when it's from. Not finding the run out groove numbers on Discogs. Looks to be an old pressing though, sounds fabulous. 10/10

Rolling Stones - Jamming With Edward - forgot I had this weird-ass curio, hadn't listened to it in more than a decade. Mick sounds like he's singing from a room down the hall, but Cooder turns in some sick slide work. Lack of Richards hurts it overall. Some good music to re-alphabetize my record collection to. 7/10

Soft Machine - Six - Live album / studio album two-record set. The live album is sounding pretty damn good right now. 8/10

Spadeygrove likes this.
  19. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

The Beatles - Magical Mystery Tour - probably in my top 3 in terms of favorite Beatles albums, Side 2 is some of the best collections of tracks I've ever heard one after another (Hello Goodbye, Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, Baby You're A..., All You Need is Love). Bought a "starter copy" a couple months ago for $1 with lots of surface noise and an incorrect cover, and have yet to upgrade. 10/10 on the music, 2/10 on my copy.

20. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Most of the vinyl I have been listening to is black. All of it is between 8 and 10 out of 10

Of the coloured vinyl I have I'd say it is 9 to 10 out of 10. Only because that was all bought new.

21. Chrome_Head

Best Of Horace Andy, Vol 1 - "Just Say Who"

Some great stuff on here, record sounds great. Bottom end is deep and insane. Copy is near flawless. 10/10

Minty_fresh likes this.
  22. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

Today a bit of The Kids Are Alright. My copy is about VG+/Excellent for sonics and I'd say a 9/10 in terms of performance on my favorite tracks. Some filler for me as I'm a casual Who fan. Love some of their work and so-so on some.

Also spinning a bit of Boston (Don't Look Back, Japanese pressing). My copy is Excellent/Near Mint and I enjoy the performance. At 58 yr. old, Boston brings memories of high school (their 1st album) and college (this album).

Finishing the afternoon with disc 2 of All Things Must Pass. Although I have the Beatles Mono Box and have always been a big Beatles fan, I'm very light on solo albums and have actually never heard it (I know ...). So with the hoopla over the reissue coming soon, I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop $60+ on it and saw this last week at a local store for $20 (box and booklet included), I grabbed the set.

It's VG in sonics (box is fair with torn corners) and I'm listening my way through the set. Since it's 3 discs and my listening time each day is limited (married with children), I don't want to spend a full listening session on it, so I listen to a disc every few days. Enjoyed some of disc 1 and some songs, not as much. That being said, I'm glad I finally got a chance to hear this iconic album.

Rickchick and Chrome_Head like this.
  23. Mike6565

Mike6565 Hyperactive!

Just getting into vinyl myself after a 30 year histus... and trying to acquire as many quality lp's and artists that I can find.

This weekend I played quite a bit as I cleaned up and packaged some new arrivals, it was a full weekend of listening on a bad weather days, what great fun!

20/20 Twenty No.1 Hits From Twenty Years At Motown
    A lot of fun, sound quality was excellent 10/10

Rod Stewart ‎– Foot Loose & Fancy Free
    Enjoyed this a lot, it was rocking.. 8/10

Foreigner - Double Vision
    My copy had a little bit of pops and scratches, but the rock no roll came right through 8/10

Kansas - Leftoverture
    Carry on wayward son, blasted this, even though I've heard this a thousand times, I necer heard the whole album before until I acquired this lp, a really fun listen. 8.5/10

Dinah Washington - What A Diff'rence A Day Makes!
    I picked up a terrific copy of this, and this album does not dissapoint, what a nice record. 9/10

The Bobby Darin Story
    Bobby does some intros to a few of the songs that can be fun at first, but then a tad distracting, but this record is a blast, loved it! 10/10

The Best Of The Best Of Chuck Berry
    This album was a lot of fun, especially his live version of ding-a-ling, a real gem 10/10

Peggy Lee - Lover
    I am sadly way behind the curve on Peggy Lee, I acquired a fine sampling this weekend, and dived into this one first. Need to give it a few more spins, but she's terrific. 8/10

Tony Bennett - I Left My Heart In San Francisco
    I added this one to my collection this week, after a good cleaning it absolutely soared, loved it start to finish. 10/10

Santana - Moonflower
    This is a two disc live album, well, some tracks are not live, but disc 1 was, and it was great. 9.5/10

The Knack - Get The Knack
    I always loved my sharona, but it easn't until I picked up this album 3 weeks ago that I realized how great an album this is. What a blast! 10/10

Four seasons - Who Loves You
    Some clunkers on this, but dec 63 and who loves you are worth the price of admission. 8/10

Saturday Night Fever (The Original Movie Sound Track)
    Fantastic. 10/10

The Police - Ghost In The Machine
    I actually had to skip one track, the rest of the album is terrific 8.5/10

John Paul Young - Love Is In The Air
    I picked up a stray copy of this single, and haven't heard this somg in years, the flip side is where the action is, both songs are a lot of fun. 10/10

Steely Dan - Gaucho
    I have a beat up copy of this, I don't care, I cranked it loud, and enjoyed it immensely scratches, pops, cracks and all. 10/10

Early Ella - Great Ballads By Ella Fitzgerald
    I love me some Ella, and nabbed a copy of this one by Ella, I don't think I can rank anything by her under 10.

24. WillieDaPimp

WillieDaPimp Good bad, not evil

I started off with

The Groundhogs- Split : 80's BGO repress. Sounds terrific with almost no surface noise. Every time I play it, I wonder why I don't play it more often..great album! 10/10

Led Zeppelin: Presence : Original US pressing. Sounds great, especially the rhythm section. I tend to throw this and Zep 3 on the most, as I'm not as burned out on them. 9/10

AC/DC: Highway To Hell : US Atlantic Piros cut. All Killer, No Filler. The production on this album is fabulous. Very punchy, dynamic pressing. 10/10

Fleetwood Mac: Rumours : 1st press, (Winchester markings). I threw this on for my wife mostly, but I do enjoy it a lot as well. The songs are undeniably good. My copy is very quiet, and sounds really nice. 8.5/10

Lambert75 and Chrome_Head like this.
  25. Chrome_Head

Got into a bit of a Traffic mood this evening.

Best Of Traffic - this is quite a flimsy disc in a flimsy jacket that I picked up years ago for $4.99. Some superlative tracks on here from their psychedelic period in particular: "Paper Sun", "Heaven Is In Your Mind", "Coloured Rain" and "Dear Mister Fantasy". Some of these sound incredible, and I was surprised how well this one still plays. 7/10

Traffic - John Barleycorn Must Die - I've always been impressed with how good this sounds on vinyl. Great depth and impact in the bass and drums, soaring organ and horns. Great record; my copy is also still in good shape. 9/10

Miles Davis - Circle In The Round - for a double-record set that spans "outtakes from 1954 to 1970", it's bound to be slightly uneven as a collection. I listened to sides 3 & 4; I've always liked the Bitches-Brew-era band's take on Crosby's "Guinevere", which is nice to nod out to for about 16 min. It's good to have some Miles on vinyl, and this copy is noise-free and unblemished. 7/10

John McLaughlin - His Acoustic Guitar / My Goals Beyond - side A contains JM playing jazz standards and others on what sounds like a double-tracked acoustic. Side B has a couple of longer spacey workouts with a band. I've always liked side A (his rendition of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat" in particular that opens the record a favorite of mine). Unfortunately this side also has some pops and skips, as I've played the crap out of it. Very quiet copy otherwise. Record (content): 9/10, my copy 7.5/10

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017