What volume when comparing pressings?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by LitHum05, May 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

I think the headphones are a good choice. I was just saying "listening to my music loud" isn't the method I would pick. Loud isn't when you'll hear the best full dynamic range most of the time. And not all pressings are cut at equal volumes. I've heard the same album where one is cut a little quieter than the other, but the quieter one may have better overall range and balance. Or it might have more surface noise. Or the louder/hotter cut album might be clipping all over the place.

If you're cranking your gear (headphones or speakers) past your normal listening levels, then you won't hear it. If you set both those recordings to "11" on your volume control, then you'll just know that either the quieter one is more quiet, or the louder one is loud enough to create distortion.

So in my room, if I want to listen at an average volume of 68db from the seated spot, with peaks into the lower 70db's, then some records might require a slight turn of the volume up/down to match that ideal volume for my room - or in your case headphones. But if you can match that volume output, not by what the knobs say, but by the actual sound in the room/headphone output, and set it to your normal listening level, then I think you're in a good position to make a reasonably fair comparison. But without level matching I you can just hear which one is more set to what you consider normal. And if you're just listening to both on loud, you might just be maxing out gear and/or your hearing. This could also mean you're just judging your headphones peak levels more than you're judging the recording. Because even solid studio headphones can have some distortion - from the headphone, or the amp, or other sources in the chain.

LitHum05 likes this.
  2. 911s55

911s55 Forum Resident

Don't over think. Just hear and listen.

And yes many 45's can and do sound better, that is another topic entirely.

3. Spin Doctor

Spin Doctor Forum Resident

The advice above is good.

Every record/pressing has an optimum volume. Some like to be louder, some softer, but very few are exactly the same.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I try to match the volume. I have no idea what dB my music plays at. Loud, but not too loud. I don't use headphones. I can't really judge separation in the soundstage between my ears. The only thing headphones help with when comparing different records is how truly quiet the vinyl is. And a pop and tick just doesn't bother me that much. A pop and tick is way more noticeably for me with head phones. But I prefer speakers over headphones.

5. marcb

marcb Senior Member

And could delude you into thinking a Honda is comparable automobile to a Porsche...

displayname likes this.
  6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

For the second time in this thread, see GT40sc’s post earlier in the thread.

displayname likes this.
  7. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Very "neutral" or "flat" headphones would be desirable. Sony MDRV6's do a nice job.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  8. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Yes, about 85 phons (85dB) as a starting point for most music. For acoustic music lower level, for rock, a bit louder (90dB is reasonably safe.. 100dB limit to 30 to 45 minutes) As mentioned, hearing is most linear at about 85 to 90 dB.. 85dB is safe for 8 hours continuous/ 24 hours. Hearing becomes more sensitive as listening habits tend to be at lower loudness. This increase in sensitivity takes a week or two. Personally I take a break sometimes if I feel that's needed, and listen to quiet natural sounds, crickets, birds, anything not loud. Your ears will thank you. I think you'll discover a new world of music nuance and detail. In my experience, the "better" pressing will be the one that produces the better dynamics and inner detail (both of these) but not the louder one or an eq shift to more bass or treble.

During a listening session at higher levels, the ear/brain quickly de-sensitizes, and there is this inclination to turn up the volume more. This is more pronounced in headphone listening. Be aware, and be careful... give it a break when at higher loudness, more than 95 dB especially. Invest in a sound level meter to measure the level of your headphones/ speakers.

Music measurement is C weighted. Safe loudness level is measured A weight (treble frequencies apprx 1kHz to 20kHz.. in particular 2kHz to 6kHz max ear sensitivity and where damage occurs first) So, that tympani transient at 100dB isn't dangerous, because its spectrum is mostly bass frequencies. The squeal of a subway brake at approx 6kHz, 110dB+ should be outlawed... many ears have been damaged by that.

I listen almost always at lower loudness, about, 75db to 80dB. It's wonderful and rarely feel the need to turn it up. A truly good system has that effect, very satisfying at lower levels.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  9. displayname

displayname Forum Resident

Thank you! I guess I'd missed that earlier. Excellent information.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

It's not. Play it at whatever volume sounds best and you'll gravitate towards one version or another... unless the differences are minute. The end. Next topic? :D

SandAndGlass and displayname like this.
  11. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    The "A" rating places a slight emphasis on sound between around 4-5 kHz., where our ears are most sensitive. Likewise, it de-emphasizes the LF below around 600-kHz. and that de-emphasis continues to be applied at a greater rate, the lower you go in frequency.

This is the scale that you use to measure the SPL in order to guard against hearing damage, due to being exposed to loud music for extended periods of time.

Which, as previously stated, is 85-dB for a maximum exposure time of 8-hours.

When you switch to the "C" scale, the meter is telling you how loud the sound is with the bass energy included.

In reality, the bass might be far louder in actuality, then you perceive it to be, because our ears have a natural lack of sensitivity to low frequency sounds.

The lower you go in frequency you go, the less sensitive your ears are going to be.

As you approach 20-Hz., your ears are about 70-dB's less sensitive, than a sound played at 3-kHz.

That doesn't mean that there is not a lot of bass there, it just means that the meter is more accurately measuring its sound pressure level, better thab your ears.

The more bass and sub bass there is in a song, the biggest differences there will be between the "A" and the "C" scale.

The "C" scale might read 95-dB, while the "A" scale reads 85-dB. You don't want to be around a constant sound level of 85=dB for more than 8-hours in any given day.

Every time you increase your volume level by 3-dB, your amp has to double its power output. At the same time, the SPL where you can safely listen is decreased by half. So at an SPL of 88-db, it is only safe to listen to sound at that volume, for four hours in a day, instead of the 8-hours you can safely listen to at 85-dB's.

I like to use a SPL of 85-dB's for my reference point, because, from there, I can do the math in either direction.

If we were to decrease the sustained SPL from 85-dB to 82-dB, your listening window has now doubled in time to 16-hours in a single day.

Keep on by decreasing it another 3-dB., and you can safely listen all day long.

Which doesn't apply if there is excessive high frequencies in the music., as the meter is only taking a weighted average. Simple meters don't break sounds down into different frequency bands. It does not know if you are listening to a 800-cycle tone or a 3kHz tone. All the meter can do is to give you a weighted average of the sound levels that it is picking up.

Use your own discretion when listening to loud music.

At louder sound levels and within a period of time that is described as being safe, doesn't mean that you will not experience ear fatigue.

If you are listening to harsh sounding music, your ears will experience fatigue earlier on. The same holds true if you are listening with older ears.

A good overwriting rule of thumb is, when your ears start to fatigue, your body is telling you to turn it down.

12. Nick Brook

Nick Brook Forum Resident

For comparing recordings , I find that listening to the music at a volume no greater than a human conversation to be the most beneficial.

13. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Fantastically clear and informative, as usual. Thanx a lot:righton::cheers:

While I conduct just 2 listening sessions per week (critical), with 3-4 days between them, at no more than 85 db peak, most of my music has a lot of energy in the 2-8 khz region (punk, metal, and extreme subgenres of both). So now I see why I still have good hearing at my age.

displayname likes this.
  14. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.