What was, in your opinion, the last truly great album released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by garrincha, Jan 19, 2018.

1. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Please do. I think it'd be more productive and interesting than this one.

2. zen

zen Senior Member

George Carlin's Jammin' in New York

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
    yogi.nasser likes this.
  3. Davey

Davey NP: Hania Rani/Dobrawa Czocher ~ Inner Symphonies

I think some of you take these threads too literally and miss the prize. The payoff for most (some?) of us is discovering something new we may have missed, or not realized was so highly regarded by some of our friends around here. At least that's my take, right or wrong, so thanks to all the posters who bring something new and fresh to the discussion :)

4. Colin Allstations

Colin Allstations Forum Resident

Terrorvision - Shaving Peaches

ajsmith likes this.
  5. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yeah, it's just supposed to be for fun, after all.

vpvi26 and Davey like this.
  6. Isamet

Isamet Forum Resident

Boston's debut album. Perfect from start to finish. Not a lame song in the bunch

alduchaney likes this.
  7. Davey

Exactly, thanks. And if I say the Golden Gunn record from 2013 was the last truly great record released, it's just a way of recommending something that I think a lot of people around here would like. Why mention something that everyone has heard a hundred times already, where's the fun in that? :)

8. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Here's 4 great albums that will be hard to top from recent years.

Charles Bradley - Changes

Iggy Pop - Post Pop Depression

Sharon Jones & The Dap-Kings - Give The People What They Want

Mr. Jukes - God First

Great music is still going strong, you might just have to look a little closer for it.

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  9. Andy Pandy

Andy Pandy Forum Resident

I know I know I know. But I want to have it pinpointed to the truly great ones that I've missed.

10. Davey

Well, good luck on that, Bob and I will just continue to have fun and not worry about the definition of "truly great" :)

11. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

12. njstrummer

njstrummer Forum Resident

American Idiot - Green Day

Not a personal fave, but one of the last great "albums"... in my opinion

Incamera likes this.
  13. If I Can Dream_23

If I Can Dream_23 Forum Resident

I agree, although in my case no modern albums would even come close to my Top 20. So I'd have even less to offer than I already do. :laugh:

Some newer albums may or may not flirt with my definition of "truly great", but zero would qualify for the Top 20 (which I would label along the lines of "all-time of the all-time").

Which, again, isn't meant as a knock on the modern albums I've heard. I enjoy several of them. There shouldn't be anything wrong with merely liking an album. Heck, 80% of music releases would be lucky to merely achieve "like" status. Let alone be considered all-time or truly great!

Tord likes this.
  14. StevenC

StevenC SUEDE > Both Oasis AND Blur.

yes, NIGHT THOUGHTS. Shame how so many people won't ever hear "Pale Snow" or "Outsiders"

TheSeldomSeenKid likes this.
  15. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

I’ve liked lots of music the last few years but the last stone cold classic to me is Father John Misty ‘I Love You Honeybear’

AmosM and DLant like this.
  16. I bought this album and thought it was excellent. However, the CD mastering is an over compressed muffled mess and as a result I just do not want to listen to it anymore. I think modern heavy handed mastering techniques kill a lot of great albums.

Solace and mozz like this.
  17. rallizes

rallizes Forum Resident

a huge talent

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Yeah, I get what you are saying, but if that kept me from listening to 'Night Thoughts' on CD, then virtually my entire CD Collection going back to 1995 would not be listenable as the DR# Average is 8 for Night Thoughts that I would guess is around the average DR Average per Album for most CDs the past 23 years(a few exceptions of better DR Average #s, like the past 2 albums on CD by Kate Bush while not great, not terrible). I should buy the Vinyl for 'Night Thoughts' though, since I love the album.

Although, after buying a Used Oppo 105D in December and a few other Components(planning to buy the Outlaw 2160 Receiver/Amp), need to put off getting the TT I wanted to play a lot of Vinyl I started to buy recently. Cannot afford to buy the Vinyl to replace my entire CD Collection from post 1995 Albums though, so will focus on just getting my favorite Albums on Vinyl, if the Mastering and Pressing is good for any particular Album(and the Cover Art is a factor, as that is part of my interest in getting into Vinyl as a part of my Music Collection).

I played 'Wrong Creatures' CD-the New Album by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club yesterday and the sound was so terrible(think OASIS CD Terrible), that it was hard to get through and made worse with their Drone-Rock type of sound. Just looked up the DR Average and it was only 6, so I was not surprised.

mozz likes this.
  19. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

50th Anniversary Remix of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

alduchaney likes this.
  20. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I dont see why people get in a dander if someone posts their last truly great was nirvana or the beatles or who ever. not sure why it always gets into a 'you hate all new music' debate....could be they have a stringent 'truly great' and only 4-5 make the grade.

hmmmmm now that would work!

Mr Bass and If I Can Dream_23 like this.
  21. Sanguinus

Sanguinus Forum Resident

Regarding Nirvana, I can say it personally annoys me because there are a ton of better albums that came out in 1993 that weren't In Utero. Ones that were better written, better executed, were more adventurous and generally innovated more.

yogi.nasser likes this.
  22. Davey

I think most just said it's sad, not sure about getting in a dander, not sure I even know what that means :)

23. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

I don't know :evil: something my mom said probably!

Davey likes this.
  24. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Limiting to the last ten years certainly makes it tough for me to pick.
    I think it's only In Rainbows that makes the cut, with Let England Shake and Daft Punk's score for Tron: Legacy coming close.

I respect the adoration people have for Blackstar, and obviously it's a hugely important piece of work, but musically it really does fall short of the "great" threshold for me.

Morning Phase is very well done and a satisfying listen...but again, not in the "great" category.

I love some hip hop - but most from the 90s/early 2000s, and I don't hear "greatness" in Kendrick Lamar at all.

Really cool to see all the artists everyone is throwing up for consideration though!

25. Cassiel

Cassiel Sonic Reducer

Kamasi Washington - The Epic

Chazzbo13 and AmosM like this.