What was/is your Dad's fave song/album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Johnny Vinyl, Aug 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Funny, thanks to my parents album collection, this is the version of "Pass Me By" that I used to hear coming out of the old Magnavox ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxpXx5gXcC4

Jamey K likes this.
  2. Moshe

Moshe "Silent in four languages."

Johnny Cash,
    Merle Haggard and
    Little Deuce Coupe by The Beach Boys.

She is anyway likes this.
  3. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

My father wasn't into music. he had maybe 4 or 5 albums. He was a first generation Italian-American of the WWII generation. His favorite song was Frank Sinatra's version of Birth Of the Blues--most likely the Columbia version.

4. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

My first record store experience that I was aware of was in Sept. 1964, where my dad let me buy a Beatles 45 and he bought The Buddy Holly Story vols. 1 and 2. Later, in the late '70's, The Complete Buddy Holly 6 lp set was released in the UK and I bought an import copy and recorded it all onto cassette. It was the only thing he listened to for the rest of his life. When he was young he had 45s by Little Richard, Gene Vincent and others, but Buddy was his man. Later, Buddy was all he ever needed. God bless him. I miss him.

5. ccbarr

ccbarr Forum Resident

My dad loves older country music, some country rock from that time, and has always loved Elvis Presley. My dad was in a local band in the sixties up until I was born, around 1985. He was the lead guitar player or he played steel as well. He can actually play just about anything, drums, piano ect. His band took a page from Johnny Cash and played for some inmates in a prison here in Iowa, he said it was the worst gig they ever did, the prisoners they played for just sat and stared, they didn't get the reaction they were hoping for. One of the guards said they had to eat the food the prisoners were eating, otherwise there might be a riot. Worst tasting food he ever had he told me, and they sholved it down cause they wanted to get the hell out of there.

Anyway, I grew up hearing a lot of older country, but my Dad's favorite album is Elvis Presley's 68 Comeback Special, just the regular album. And he loved watching it on TV. He has always told me things about watching that special, his favorite parts. This was back before VCRs so he only seen it the once. A few years ago I got him the special on DVD and got him the 68 Comeback CD box set for Christmas. He was like a little kid, wanted to watch the DVD right away, so we did. As we watched it I was amazed how much he had rembered about it, and how accurate he was talking about it through the years. It really made me realise how much he loved Elvis' music, and just how influential that special and Presley's music in general are to him and others. If a man could remember minor details about a music special he had only seen once 40 years ago, yet forget some common event like my brother's brithday (not on purpose), it made me realise the power music has.

She is anyway, Johnny Vinyl and Dino like this.
  6. weirdo12

weirdo12 Forum Resident

Moon River

7. notesfrom

notesfrom Forum Resident

One of the James Bond themes, or something by Bacharach, Herb Alpert, Roy Orbison, or Brasil '66.

8. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

The last favourite record of my dad's was the track 'Just friends' off the BIG BAND JAZZ direct disc double LP by Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass (Umbrella UMB-DD 4). He loved the entire album but that first cut was his fave.

9. s m @

s m @ Forum Resident

Great question. All through my childhood and into my teens, if my Dad got to a certain point in the night and had had a certain number of beverages, he'd listen to The Best of Burton Cummings double LP, quite loud. He might listen to the whole thing, but definitely sides 1 and 3, which I know by heart still. It's actually a pretty great listen. I got a cheap used copy myself a few years ago. Mostly to listen to once in a while when he's over for dinner. But you never know when one late night I might just get the urge to crank up sides 1 and 3.

She is anyway and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  10. littleugly

littleugly Well-Known Member

So, so many...

Marvin Gaye & Tammi Terrell: Ain't No Mountain high Enough.
    The Temptations: I Wish it Would Rain.
    Barry White: You See the Trouble with Me.
    Patti Labelle & Michael McDonald: On My Own.
    Whitney Houston: Saving All My Love for You.

And God help you if you were driving around with my Pops in the 80's and this ditty should come on the radio of his champagne coloured New Yorker...

11. jeff kleinberg

jeff kleinberg Senior Member

My Dad always loved Morning Has Broken by Cat Stevens. That and Sara by Fleetwood Mac. He would spin the 45's on the old Dual TT, Onkyo Receiver, and JBL studio monitors(guess I was already a goner at birth...see my equipment profile;)) Used to think MHB was cheesy, now it chokes me up regularly.

12. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My dad wasn't much of a music guy, but when he got a few too many in him invariably he start singing Make The World Go Away and Tiny Bubbles. Those 2 tunes haunt me to this day.

13. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

My dad never had much interest in music
    And found our over emphasis a bit too much

That said
    Rhapsody in blue
    Helen Reddy
    And much later Johnny Cash. Especially Ring of Fire

My mom was into Neil Diamond, elton John and billy joel
    Not the early good ej

14. Logan S

Logan S Forum Resident

Song: Deserted Cities Of the Heart by Cream. Funnily enough, he heard it for the first time last year when I played WOF for him.

Album: never asked him, but considering what he listens to the most it's gotta be Tommy, Hot Rats or A Trick Of The Tail.

15. Naughty Chord

Naughty Chord Hole in my Socrates

My dad used to talk a lot about Lefty Frizzell and Bob Wills. Unfortunately my head was too far up my rock & roll ass at the time to appreciate what he was sharing with me. Nowadays Lefty and Bob are high on my list of favorites.

action pact, She is anyway and keef00 like this.
  16. HILO

HILO Senior Member

My Dad is a Marine and was stationed all over.I remember as a kid going into a lot of bars with him,during the day time.I always remember Hank Williams being played and Tennesse Ernie too.Thanks Dad!

She is anyway and Moshe like this.
  17. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

Guess I was born late and I'm a lot older than most here.
    Dads favs were

" if I didn't care" Ink Spots ( really anything by Bill Kenny and the spots.
    " Cab Driver" Mills brothers

I too love these songs and performers.
    My parents were a big influence on me as far as loving music.

She is anyway, Johnny Vinyl and Moshe like this.
  18. Dance Mxyzptlk

Dance Mxyzptlk Forum Resident

Dad's favorite artist was Vernon Dalhart but he owned a few Paul Simon albums and Sgt. Peppers.

19. longaway

longaway Senior Member

Oh, man. My dad listened, almost exclusively, to Classical when I was a little kid. Graceland was probably the first non-Classical album I remember him buying (that assumes one counts Phillip Glass as classical). The older I got, the more I found out how far his tastes actually ran. He loved Simon & Garfunkel and Cat Stevens, Doo Wop, Johnny Cash. I came home early from high school one day, and caught him singing along to She Drives Me Crazy playing on VH1. I remember him being very bummed out when Stevie Ray died.

Even when I was listening to stuff he didn't like, he didn't really give me grief, unless he found the lyrical content offensive. Then all bets were off.

So through all that typing, if I were to try to narrow it down to one song, it would probably be Sounds of Silence.

I think I probably need to play more Classical for my kids.

notesfrom likes this.
  20. MarkAJ

MarkAJ Forum Resident

My dad, 1919-2002, was impossible to figure musically. He watched Lawrence Welk on TV, but he was excited about seeing the Beatles on The Ed Sullivan Show. When he was angry--which was pretty often, although he wasn't a violent man--he would putter in he garage while whistling Stephen Foster's "I Dream of Jeannie With the Light Brown Hair." He was particularly fond of nonsense songs, like "Mairzy Doats," he knew all the words to a number of them, and he could toss off the most intricate of them in tune although he had no musical training and never practiced. He astonished me when I was in my 40s by singing childhood songs his Swedish mother had sung to him, although he never learned Swedish and didn't know what the lyrics meant. I never saw him listen to classical music, but if you asked him who Arthur Rubinstein or Jascha Heifetz were, he knew. My mother asked him once what his favorite song was, and he said "Blueberry Hill," by Fats Domino. Knowing my dad, though, if you asked him on another day, you'd get a different answer. He never bought a record, but he liked what my brother and I played until we discovered the Rolling Stones. I sure miss him...

notesfrom and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  21. Colin M

Colin M Forum Resident

Mine's classical (Romantics) & then Hollywood musicals, his favourite being "Annie Get Your Gun".

22. nikh33

nikh33 Senior Member

My dad would have been 98 this year too! He died back in 1964, only 47, so he never heard anything after 'Can't Buy Me Love', which he quite liked, but then he was very proud of The Beatles for going to America and storming there, though 1964 Pop Music wasn't his thing at all; even so, he bought me From Me To You, She Loves You, I Want to Hold Your Hand and With The Beatles all of which I still have, and he never complained about me playing them on our 1962 Dansette.
    He had a big 78 jazz and showtunes collection in the 50s which he sold to buy us clothes one very cold winter so he never played records at home after that, but he did like the radio. I do know his favourite song (reminded him of our mum- his wife!- )was 'On The Street Where You Live'. Now, whenever I hear it, which isn't very often, it reminds me of him very much.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  23. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

similar taste to mine with my dad.

i grew up on the same stuff and liked it from the get-go. But i do like a lot of stuff he doesn't too. I'm not a copy of my father (in more ways than one).

I'd rather die than be like him.

I'll learn from his mistakes.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014
  24. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Vaughan Williams - On Wenlock Edge

Tim

25. fcmu

fcmu Rock'n Roll Will Never Die

Rolling Stones - Spider And The Fly, because my dad has this single for years and still loves this song - it was the b-side of Satisfaction in Germany.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.