What was really JBL's finest speaker creation?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Litejazz53, Sep 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Helom

Helom Forum member

I recently bought a pair of Vandersteen 1Cs from MD. After ample break-in they still have smearing in the midrange. I'm now considering giving the JBL 4307s a try, partially because they'd fit perfectly on my Sound Anchor stands and would make for easy swapping when I want to change things up.

I have no real experience with JBL sound other than what I've heard in commercial settings, and never paid much attention to those. I can find very little info about this mid-size monitor family from JBL. Hoping someone can provide an analagous comparison regarding their sound.

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Audioshot likes this.
  3. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

Helom likes this.
  4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

5. sceptic

sceptic Forum Resident

I've owned my JBL L65s from new since 1979. Still love 'em, although they're now used as the main speakers in my video rig.

6. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I had a pair of L7s some years ago. They were my first somewhat high fidelity speakers after years of playing Bose when in college. I still remember at being in awe of the imaging and transparency when audition them at Circuit City. Not long after that I discovered B&W, and the journey began anew.

Duke Fame and Gavinyl like this.
  7. BIGGER Dave

BIGGER Dave Forum Resident

8. rxonmymind

rxonmymind Forum Resident

I would love to own a pair of JBL L300'S. Gur feeling that these are the right speakers just as I had with the Klipsch Bell's. Trying to find a affordable pair is a different story. Time & patience I have.

9. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I might have listened to as much music through a tabletop JBL Harmony as anything else. Presumably designed to compete with Bose products, it featured better sound than the competition. A friend heard it and went back home to get his sound meter. His ears weren't fooling him: the thing measured flat within its range. I have not heard a better tabletop system.

It was not an ergonomic machine.
    The display was hard to read; the designers were apparently unaware that users might want to use the AM function; the alarm function was graced with the sort of adrenalin surge producing tone you'd want on (and only on) a fire alarm. But it sure did spin CDs nice.

Used units are almost guaranteed to be missing the credit card sized remote, and the CD mechanism will probably mistrack, so buyer beware . . .

10. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Another vote for the L112.
    [​IMG]

mech986, darkmatter and rxonmymind like this.
  11. Mister Pig

Mister Pig I didn't Choose Farm Life It Chose Me

I remember when I first got to hear a pair of L300 a friend of mine bought; he was just starting out into SET amplification. I always wanted a pair, but over the years the price climbed on them into what I considered silly levels.

A couple of years ago we moved into a new house, and I got the chance to reset my stereo system. I decided to simplify the mutli amped, DSP adjusted, open baffle speaker system I was using, so I started selling gear and stockpiling cash. I was looking at a used pair of JBL ARRAY1400 that were in my price range. However a favorable deal was on Audiogon, and things were selling quickly on my end. The result was I was able to purchase a 1 year old pair of JBL 4365 that were in absolutely perfect condition. Unfortunately I do not use a web hosting site for pictures, so I am going to have to insert a stock image instead of an actual shot of mine. They are lovely sounding speakers, and I feel fortunate to own them. I consider them a modern interpretation of the L300. I would like to hear the M2, but truth is the all black look is sort of ugly for a home.

[​IMG]

12. Within the realm of vintage speaker "lust" could this be the equivalent of seeing tan lines? :D

13. rxonmymind

Beautiful. Horns, ported subs and nice aesthetics. You did well.
    If I find these I'll won't hesitate to get them.

14. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

What kind of stands are these? I have a pair of Pioneer HP-100 speakers and I think they measure around the same size. Tough to get them high off the floor.

15. Mitsuman

Mitsuman Diamond Tone Junkie

Those are not mine so I’m afraid I have no idea who the manufacturer of the stands is. I had a chance to buy a pair of L112’s about 7 or 8 years ago and I balked. Still kicking myself today.

LitHum05 likes this.
  16. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

Yes. Although I still prefer BIGGER Dave’s avatar above:goodie:

17. JBLCarousel

JBLCarousel Well-Known Member

Hi,

To my mind, if there ever was a loudspeaker to hold the moniker of "the finest JBL creation", it is the JBL 4345. The JBL 4345 is the only studio monitor from JBL featuring an 18-inch woofer - the 2245H provides a rich, deep low-range that is not comparable to a 15-inch woofer (JBL 4333, JBL 4343, JBL 4344, etc.), especially at low-level listening.

These are my JBL 4345s from Kenrick Sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 4, 2018
  18. JBLCarousel

19. JBLCarousel

20. rxonmymind

Beautiful speakers. So I've been trying to get on the JBL train and have looked at various models. Specifically a pair of JBL L300's that's for sale "out there" in mint condition one owner etc.
    Showed the wifie and she ripped my heart out "they are atrocious" She said. Look, I know my fashion style isn't NY runway kinda sensibilities but I didn't think they were that bad. Glass top, low slung big & wide. Beautiful.
    The Klipsch Bell's she likes.
    Sigh, can't win them all I guess. Have to settle for a poster, in the meantime I'll look for another pair of JBL.

JBLCarousel likes this.
  21. rxonmymind

Do those come with grill covers?

22. rxonmymind

Congrats on a wonderful pair of JBL. Curious how big are they? If an average 6' person were to stand next to one. I can see dimensions online all day but for example I couldn't believe how big the L300's were until I saw one in person.

23. Mister Pig

Well I just happen to have a tap measure sitting right here. 41"H x 23.5"W x16"D. weight is about 190 pounds each. The downside of them is that they are tough to rotate out to try another speaker. Can't exactly hide them behind the couch....

mech986 likes this.
  24. Mister Pig

Honestly? I think L300 are over priced for the sound they produce. The collect-ability of them have driven their value up over the years, and past the point where they have good value for the dollar spent. Market price seems to be over $5K, and I paid slightly over $7K for the 4365. To me it was a no brainer.

25. JBryan

JBryan Forum Resident

I've had my share of JBLs through the years - L100, L65, L200, L250ti, L300 and 4345 plus a few I can't remember the model. I've actually had the L300 and 4345s twice each. I definitely preferred the 4345 over the others but to be fair, the last pr had been modified (external xover, separate amps). I actually preferred the L200's imaging over the L300 but in the end, I added a supertweeter and I still traded them away for a pr of Tannoys (w/15" Golds) without a second thought. The biggest disappointment was surely the 250ti but then again, no updates or mods. I'll also confess that I prefer SET setups and JBLs need more watts and current to do their thing. I guess I'm not that much of a JBL fan though I have friends that won't listen to anything else. Being more of a tinkerer, my tastes are better suited by some Altec and Klipsch speakers as I can modify these to suit my needs... and I'd kill to have those Tannoys back!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.