What was the first gatefold pop or rock LP?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Chris R, Jan 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris R

Chris R Forum Fones Thread Starter

I was searching for some Beatles information a month or so ago, and ran across a fan site that says "Beatles For Sale" was one of the first gatefold albums. It was released on December 4, 1964 in the UK..

"Help!" OST, was released on August 13, 1965 over here, and is gatefold. BUT , it's a soundtrack. I'm not sure we could count that, as I have suspicions that labels such as Columbia Masterworks were releasing film and Broadway soundtrack LPs with gatefold sleeves.

The Beach Boys - "Beach Boys' Party!" was released in around December of 1965 and it is a gatefold sleeve in the U.S. and Canada. I have an original U.K. pressing which is not gatefold.

1967, for me seems to be the year when gatefold LPs began to appear on mass.
    Velvet Underground - And Nico - March
    Mothers Of Invention - Absolutely Free - April
    Beatles - SPLHCB - late May/June
    Rolling Stones - TSMR - November/December

BTW, the original mono and stereo Canadian Velvet Underground and Nico albums were not gatefold. We got ripped off up here quite a bit, particularly in the 1970s. Thank you WEA. :rolleyes: Warner Canada was notorious for releasing LPs here that did not fold open, and contained no lyric sheets, despite the fact that "contains lyric sheet" was sometimes printed right on the back sleeve. Carly Simon - "Anticipation" comes to mind. Doobie Brothers - Captain and Me was released here, non-gatefold. My U.S. quad copy is gatefold.

What early rock albums released over here or in the U.K. had gatefold sleeves in 1965, and '66?

Attached Files:

2. mudbone

mudbone Gort Annaologist

Elvis Xmas LP from '57 was a gatefold loaded with pics.

mud-

3. Irwin Mainway

Irwin Mainway Senior Member

How about the 'Sing Along With Mitch Miller' records from the late 50's ? ;)

4. Chris R

It was my impression that the site was probably refering to rock albums. I mentioned Columbia Masterworks releasing gatefold soundtracks. I guess I should extend Columbia to include jazz, classical, and some non-rock or pop artists such as Mitch "Sing A-Long-With" Miller.

I have an original "Christmas With Grandma Moses" album on RCA from 1958. :)
    I'm not counting that.

5. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

One of the BEST/early rock gatefolds of all time is The Rolling Stones' High Tide and Green Grass from March 1966. Great shots by Guy Webster on the cover and Gered Mankowitz's pics on the booklet.

BC

6. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

The first gatefold was a 1935 78 RPM Bing Crosby Decca album. (Well, you said Pop!) :)

7. Chris R

Thanks. I forgot about that one.

:laugh: Come on. I said LP. Long play recording. Next someone is going to find an obscure 1950s gatefold EP or something. :laugh:

Maybe I should narrow the parameters to rock LPs. :) I actually just went through my recently inherited LP collection from "Old Bill" next door, and dug up a Mitch Miller album on Decca - "Dance & Sing Along With Mitch" - DL 74777. Don't know the year. It's gatefold. A waste of gatefold. The inside is an exact replica of the lyric sheet that comes with the album.

8. Steve Hoffman

LP gatefold for rock. Would have to be Elvis "For LP Fans Only", right? 1958, followed by "Elvis Is Back" and the Everly Bros. "A Date With", or was Fabian's debut first, I forget... There are a lot of pop/rock gatefolds before the 1960's is what I'm trying to say....

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I always liked creative gatefolds. Like Tull's "Stand Up". Anyone can make a double-fold and glue it. ;)

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, and imagine the shock of opening up the MFSL gold disc and having them pop out at you in CD size! Nice touch...:thumbsup:

ED:cool:

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I have several "Stand Up" Reprise covers. My four-year old daughter loves it.:)

BC

12. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

For LP fans Only' wasn't a gatefold, steve. but I know what you're saying. I do think the Elvis Christmas lp from '57 was the first rock one. Chubby Checker and Fabian also had gatefold covers (tho they were early 60's). For pop, gosh, that would be a tough one to pinpoint down!

13. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

You may be thinking of the gatefold of A Date With Elvis from '59. For LP Fans Only was single pocket, although it was the first album not to list the artist's name anywhere on the front or back cover.

14. Steve Hoffman

Yes, what they said!

15. JohnS

JohnS Senior Member

... and, correct me if I'm wrong, but the first rock/pop double album (2LPs) was Frank Zappa's 'Freak Out' from July 1966...?
    John

16. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

"The Beatles Story" 2-LP (US Capitol release) sometime in autumn 64?

Jim W.

17. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Or, Beatles vs. The Four Seasons , early 1964 Vee Jay Records

18. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

What month in '66 was Dylan's Blonde on Blonde released?

19. GuyDon

GuyDon Senior Member

I'll answer my own question: May 1966

20. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497

Remember "Songs, Pictures, and Stories About the Beatles"?

Was that the first "half-a-gatefold" album?? :D

21. Steve Hoffman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.