What was the first punk album ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve B, Jun 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nothing went wrong. I was simply correcting your attempt to downplay the importance of the Pistol's album. A few fans had gripes a out album (which I detailed) but is was massivley loved and destroyed all the competition, as the singles had anyway
    Forgive mistakes, I am on a phone here.

2. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Possibly the Kinks.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  3. jawaka1000

jawaka1000 Forum Resident

Come on, there must have been hundreds of punks rocking in the 50's!
    I need a list.

4. strummer101

strummer101 The insane on occasion aren't without their charms

I think Patti Smith's Horses needs to be in the conversation. It came out 4 months before Ramones s/t.
    It could be considered "art punk" or whatever...but it's another part of the NYC scene where/when punk began with RAMONES.

Also, McLaren came back to London after a trip to NYC in 1975 (where Ramones had already been playing live for one year) with big ideas for his boys back home. He even asked Richard Hell to front his fledgling band. Hell turned down the offer of course, so Mclaren copped his look for the Pistols.

This is my understanding, anyway.

5. Yep. As I like to put it in the myriad threads this question has come up in, this is the first album you can point to and say "This is punk as we know it, Jim." And this is as good a time as any for my biannual or so posting of what I think of as the ground zero footage of punk, from January 1975...

Yeah, I know there's footage from CBGB's in September 1974, but I like this better. By this point Johnny had told Joey to cut it out with all the doofy posing and hi-kicks. :)

6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Awesome. Love it!

7. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

That comes from the founding document of 1970's punk -- Lenny Kaye's Nuggets collection. That was when young musicians discovered those 60s garage bands and started changing their approach.

And it's very important to note that Lenny Kaye used the phrase "punk rock" in teh liner notes. That's pretty much ground zero for the use of teh phrase.

Purple Jim and trumpet sounds like this.
  8. BroJB

BroJB Large Marge sent me.

LOL. Yeah, Joey looked like he was trying out for the NY Dolls in that one.

9. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

It appears lost on you that in the four posts you've made in this thread, all you've talked about is The Beatles. As you would say : :blah:
    Seriously, check it out :

In a thread about punk rock, you've mentioned the Beatles nine times. You haven't mentioned punk rock once.
    Talk about "Beatle-bloat". And talk about :blah: ....

D.D.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  10. ralph7109

ralph7109 Forum Resident

And yet you started it all - not with a genuine post about punk rock, but one (as you said) was "facetious" just because you wanted to make the claim first.
    You then responded three times and somehow think your hands are clean. :wave:

The dirty secret around here is that it's actually folks like you responsible for the Beatle bloat -
    not people making earnest and sincere posts.

I'm out - so feel free to keep it going, I'm moving on.

11. rikki nadir

rikki nadir Gentleman Thug

Never Mind The Bollocks can be called a masterpiece, a wonderful album, a joy to listen to, a great place to first encounter the Sex Pistols, the absolute essence of all that is and might ever possibly be called punk rock, and (as its place in the Victoria and Albert museum indicates) a work of art.

But it cannot be called the first punk album. Because it wasn't. Factually, you know? Having to do or pertaining to facts - meaning, what actually happened in the world in which we are all living.

That's not downplaying anything, it is stating a fact.

October 28th 1977. Date of album release. Read thread title. End of.

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

You obviously didn't read my initial post on this thread where I stated that TheRamones was the 1st punk album! You have misunderstood what I was on about again.
    Again, I was only correcting your own-playing of the album, which was a sensation at the time (despite a few gripes from fans that the four classic singles were on it). You said "many" fans. It was only a few. Everybody who understood what punk was about loved it.

13. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

So what might " the proper genre definition" be ? I'm not sure the OP's question has a definitive answer ( as we can see here although Ramones gets a lot of votes and not for nothing ) unless we have a clear-cut definition for what punk rock actually is that we can work from. And I don't think that we'll easily find an answer for that, either.

D.D.

14. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

The several threads we've had about that certainly have failed to resolve the question.:laugh:

Diamond Dog likes this.
  15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

I'm glad that stuff exists, glad that there were people with video cameras to at least grab some of this. The Television rehearsal tapes from Terry Ork's loft are also fascinating to watch.

ShawnX and Dudley Morris like this.
  16. keithdylan

keithdylan Master of His Own Domain

Not an album, but I gotta think anyone who purchased Dylan's I Want You 45 and flipped it over for the live version of Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues, probably had their minds blown by the sound. Especially if they hadn't seen him live yet with a band. Kinda like I did a few years later when as a five year old I took back my copy of Hey Jude because the sound was bad on the b-side. The nice girl in the record department explained to me that Revolution was supposed to sound that way. I always thought the Dylan/Band was pretty punk/hard rock for it's time.

timnor likes this.
  17. manxman

manxman Forum Resident

A case could be made for the progressive rock band Catapilla, who debuted in 1971. Not the music — that's complex, knotty jazz/rock. But listen to Anna Meek's vocals — people simply weren't singing like this prior to 1976. The nihilist "no future" lyrics on their albums are quintessentially punky too.

18. troyvod

troyvod Forum Resident

If more of the Coloured Balls album sounded like this, history books would be rewritten.

19. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

Here, here!!

20. john hp

john hp Forum Resident

'Philosophy of the World' by The Shaggs

EverybodyGotSong likes this.
  21. ShawnX

ShawnX Forum Resident

So many amazing bands mentioned, Beatles and Sex Pistols included. However, IMHO, the only answer is... (w/ respect to the Stooges)

from wiki..."April 1976 issue of Punk. The cover image of Joey, by Punk cofounder John Holmstrom, was inspired by the work of comic book artist Will Eisner.[30] Holmstrom would go on to do album art for Rocket to Russia and Road to Ruin.

And this..."The title of the Ramones' debut single, writes critic Steve Huey, is a "nice encapsulation of the group's aesthetic: simple, bouncy, pre-British Invasion rock & roll played at top volume and twice the speed. Blaring the same three chords for most of its duration, the song was rock at its most basic".

[​IMG]

strummer101 and DVEric like this.
  22. Trevor_Bartram

Trevor_Bartram Senior Member

I'd have to say many U.S. regional bands from the early sixties had the punk ethos way before The Stooges or the Brits reinvented punk, for example The Sonics from the northwest.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  23. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

MC5 - Kick Out The Jams

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  24. monotubevibe

monotubevibe Forum Resident

Sorry folks, this album came out a full month before Never Mind the Bollocks.

Richard Hell - Blank Generation

It has everything you say is required to be a punk rock album. Step aside Sex Pistols, the King has arrived.

25. Steve B

Steve B Forum Resident Thread Starter

For me "We Will Fall" is the exception and not the rule on the first album. IMO, the Stooges were not defined by their psychedelic sounds. That first album has some punk elements with regards to attitude and who is to say that punk has to be considered punk if the song had the guitarist playing downstrumming power chords like Mr's Ramone and Thunders. The Clash were considered a punk band in the 80's yet that sound was not punk by the definition of sound/instrumentation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.