What was the first Punk Rock-type song? "Louie, Louie"? "96 Tears"? "Talk Talk"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, May 19, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

BINGO! Just looked through 100 posts solely to see if this song was mentioned.

Punk rock is pretty much all about giving the middle finger to society. While the Ramones were influenced by girl groups and bubblegum, they added ironic, anti-social and sometimes dark themes and attitudes (sniffing glue, etc.). The Ramones are the first 'punk' band, as the term has come to be defined, and they certainly had precursers as mentioned (MC5, Stooges, garage rock), but whenever this topic comes up I have to mention I'm Not Like Everybody Else as the first 'punk' song. The combination of Ray's lyrics and Dave's sneering vocal is a big f-u to every phony f*** that ever walked the earth. Pure punk. (and while Glad All Over may be a very good song... punk??? nah.)

Amazing that right after the Kinks set the blueprint for every hard rock song (YRGM) they went and practically invented punk! (If any affirmation is needed, numerous punk bands have covered this song). And to amplify above - there's also the Indian theme (insipired by fishermen's chants Ray witnessed while in India) - which is also possibly the first mainstream song to broach taboo sexual themes ('and now there's no one left, except my friend - way across the river'); one of the first "concept albums" - Face to Face, which also was originally supposed to have sound effects between each song (of which a couple survived - the phone in Party Line, the thunder in Rainy Day in June, the waves in Holiday in Waikiki), a year before Pepper's; one of the first to use video medium; creating the "Storytellers" format, etc, etc., etc... Genious indeed!! :)

2. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

And by many interpretations, continued on "Fancy."

Interesting! Face to Face is my favorite Kinks album, but I had never heard this before. Can you point me to somewhere (web or print) where I can learn more about this?

3. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Oh man - pretty sure I read it in one of the Kinks bios, which I don't have with me in my current abode. Maybe some google investigation would lead somewhere - sorry.

4. misfit

misfit New Member

Which song embodied the spirit of punk rock first?

Firstly let me confess I am a punk so not just posting for the fun of it but because I do love the music and still go and out and see punk bands. A lot of very good points put forward here and I had never heard that Them song and good but not punk. Also Chocolate Watch were just a Stones copy. Punk is original.

I know this is a huge topic of biblical proportions. We all know modern punk stems from The Ramones, before Sex Pistols and when The 101ers had not yet thought of becoming a punk band or even changed their name to The Clash yet, who as we all know would become the origin of ska punk such as Op Ivy and all which followed.
    Before such seminal bands were Death, the Detroit band not mentioned above, The Stooges, Velvet Underground, MC5's and The Kinks with You Really Got Me which appears to claim the most credit and was released in 1964. The MC5's were who I always considered to be the source as Kick out the James was recorded in 1968 followed hot on their heels by The Stooges in 1969. I have never considered You Really Got Me to be punk. That was until I heard The Kingsmen Louie Louie from 1963 on Animal House and I can see the link between that and bands like The Ramones.
    Having had this chat with a very good friend of mine he informed me his cousin was the drummer with The Yardbirds who he put forward but upon closer inspection the garage style Yardbirds did not start until Jeff Beck joined which was circa 1965 so post The Kinks, but if like me you don't consider The Kinks then they are a contender.
    Then one of my friends said what about The Sonics but looking into The Sonics unique sound this did not start until 1964 when Gerry Roslie took over lead vocals so I think the FBI investigated cover by The Kingsmen of Louie Louie in 1963 was the start of the punk rock sound but I am open to debate. I would say the first song that to me had that sound was Louie Louie but the first band that could be said to be the first punk band, and definitely more punk than 96 tears by Question Mark and the Mysterions who had the term Punk Rock assigned to them in 1971 by Dave Marsh, is drum roll please The Sonics but only 1964 onwards when Gerry Roslie became the lead vocalist. Interestingly I was having a similar chat on YouTube and one of Gerry Roslie's friends came on to also put forward The Sonics so for me first punk band but the rawness of The Kingsmen can't be forgotten and the fact they were investigated by the FBI add kudos. Also the drummer played his hand almost open so there is that clashing sound which I like which just adds to the rawness of this song. I do not think anything from the 50's comes close in terms of rawness. Little Richard could scream and definitely influenced some heavy rock bands but there was no clashing hi-hats and distortion. Punk was about the DIY ethos of grab a guitar and now you are in a band. It did not matter if your ability was limited. It was about making the best of what you had which is why a lot of 70's punk was 3 chords until The Clash broke the mould on that.

The person who mentioned Little Richard most definitely not punk rock. His musicians were good quality. You can imagine The Kingsmen not having many songs and repeating themselves. I once saw Queens of the Stone Age do this. Little Richard had everything down. He was professional. He had high standards. His drummer was Charles Connor who played the original Rock and Roll drum beat made famous by John Bonham. Musicians do not come much better than this.

Therefore for these reasons The Kingsmen and The Sonics.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.