What was the first song that got you loving music?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Flatso, Jan 18, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. proufo

proufo Forum Resident

Might have been I'm a believer by The Monkees or perhaps Beatles' Fixin' a hole.

What got me into collecting music should be Stormy Monday Blues by the Allmans live.

2. Jopin

Jopin Active Member

I was 8 or 9 years old when I heard Edith Piaf's Milord and a little bit later the Beatles' I want to hold your hand. Quite a long time ago that was. I'm an addict ever since.

3. Alan

Alan New Member

Hmm...The Ballad of Davey Crockett - Fess Parker. ;-))).

Alan

4. Jetsons

Jetsons Forum Resident

Good question.

I would say it was a few that did it for me.

Tiny Dancer, Elton John
    Rocket Man, Elton John
    American Pie, Don Mclean
    Hey Jude, The Beatles
    Without You, Nilson
    Everything I Own, Bread
    Morning Has Broken, Cat Stevens
    Baby Blue, Badfinger
    You can't always get what you want, Stones
    Nights In White Satin, Moody Blues

Jet

5. wmspence

wmspence Senior Member

I think for me it was either "Travelin' Man" by Ricky Nelson, "Save the Last Dance For Me", by the Drifters or "Volare" by Bobby Rydell.....where is that Cameo Parkway reissue series, anyway???

Bill

6. YaQuin

YaQuin Formerly Blue Moon

Rush 2112 the entire album. Black light, incense...cool!

7. paulg61

paulg61 Senior Member

Undoubtedly one song immediately spring to mind - Elton's "Bennie and The Jets" - Back in '73 my brother and I (age 10 and 11) absolutely drove my parents bonkers with that song!!
    (Thankfully they never heard the flip side to GBYBR "Screw You"(Young Mans Blues) with the line we loved to play over and over as well "Screw You, I ain't got nuthin to do"!!

Besides that the first singles we actually bought were probably -

"Heartbreaker" (...with "your bowling ball!".. later found to be actually "your 44") by the Stones.

"Clap For The Wolfman" The Guess Who - kinda corny but also cool to an 12 year old.

"Indian Reservation" Mark Lindsay - "Cherokee People!!!"

Later on Rod's "Tonights The Night" in '76 inspired a shy 14 year old (me) to go chase girls (Something I've regretted ever since!)

8. wes

wes Senior Member

Most of them were oldies for me.............."That'll Be The Day,"-Holly

Uh,.............."Too Much," "Jailhouse Rock,"-Elvis.............."Beebopalula"

Beachboys, "California Girls", "In My Room" Beatles, "Help", "From Me To You", "Ticket To Ride"............

These are the ones that made the biggest impression on me as a little laddy..........

-Wes

9. wes

wes Senior Member

oooh, I didn't realize that I ressurected this one from the 2002 forum grave/junkyard..........oh well.

:eek:

-Wes

10. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I'm Henry the VIII I am.

Feel like I just left confession.

Joe

11. mcow1

mcow1 Sommelier Gort

Sylvie by Harry Belafonte. When I was but a wee tot I used to sing it wherever I was. The neighbors used to call my parents about the swearing. "She brought me nearly every damn thing, but she didn't bring the jailhouse key."

12. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

manfred mann's mighty quinn.

13. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

Right! From Tales of Fox Hollow. I wore out that 8 track. Love that album.

14. Holy Zoo

Holy Zoo Gort (Retired) :-)

Johnny Cash - Orange Blossom Special! I was probably about 3 years old...

15. mne563

mne563 Senior Member

"We'll Sing In the Sunshine" by Gail Garnett and "Hanky Panky" by Tommy James and the Shondells.

I literally could not leave records alone since about the time I learned to walk, played with them all the time. My parents bought me a record player when I was two years old so I'd stay away from the big RCA/Victor console. It didn't work!

Michael Nelson

16. Robb

Robb Forum Resident

"Like a Rolling Stone", Bob Dylan.

I was 6 years old. I was riding in my brother's 1977 Chevrolet Chevette, listening to a Realistic receiver, with FM stereo to boot. Of course, if I remember correctly my brother's Chevette had only one speaker, so go figure.

It sounded punchy, emotional and wild. Not like the music on the soft rock stations or easy listening I was used to hearing played around the house.

I was hooked.

Robert

17. Vinyl-Addict

Vinyl-Addict Groovetracer Manufacturer

Substitute-The Who
    They were playing it at the local carnival(Glasgow, Scotland) the year the song came out over the crappy speaker system on one of the rides. Me and my pals felt pretty cool whenever they played it, it seemed to energize us. :)

18. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Confessions?

I think the music was BORN in me - when I was pre-school I listened to my parents 78 rpm's of Nelson Eddy and Jeannette McDonald singing "Naughty Marietta", various Mitch Miller lp's, a ten record "time-life" (? or was it Reader's Digest) lp with the best of the "classics" (I remember being especially taken with Stravinsky's "The Rite of Spring" and Bizet's "Carmen Suite").

Then I heard what is probably a minor footnote in the annals of rock n' roll. A song that charted (for sure) and is remembered fondly (by those that do), but never once heralded as a classic by anyone:

"You Can't Sit Down" by The Dovells.

And the second I heard it.............

CONTACT!

19. Mike Rivera

Mike Rivera Senior Member

"Puff the Magic Dragon"

Did I say that?

- Mike

20. Jimbo

Jimbo Forum Hall Of Fame

The Dovells recorded for Parkway, so their catalog is tied up in the Cameo-Parkway mess.:( Their other huge pop hit was "The Bristol Stomp." There are grey-area import CDs available--the one I have is obviously mastered from vinyl.

21. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

"Little Girl" by Syndicate of Sound and the Kinks' "Sunny Afternoon" playing on KHJ through a hand-held transistor radio while walking to the Burbank YMCA during summer vacation...THIRTY FIVE frickin' years ago...yikes...
    :bigeek:

22. njwiv

njwiv Senior Member

How's this for embarrassing -- "Rhinestone Cowboy" is also one of my first vivid musical memories. "Xanadu", though, was probably the real start of my love of music. That sound at the end just drove me wild!

23. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

It was "She Loves You" for me. I have a picture of myself playing it on a toy phonograph with an old fashioned Victola type tonearm in 1964.

I played it so much the record turned white.

The next year I played "I'm Down" so much. I could hear the flip side backwards, almost :D

24. Steel Woole

Steel Woole Senior Member

After my Dad finally assembled that Heathkit Pre-Amp & a pair of Amplifiers in 1959, I inherited all the old 78s & 45s as well as the phonograph that played them (I remember Dad bought a Grey turntable and a pair of blonde GE loudspeakers to go with - geez, those things were big and heavy!).
    Anyway, the first record in that bunch that really grabbed me was a 78 of "Hawaiian War Chant" by Spike Jones and His Wacky Wakakians!!
    Damn, that was funny!

25. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

Welcome to the forum Steel. We can never have too many Spike Jones fans. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.