What was the first TRUE concept album in rock history?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Bass, Apr 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

That Wiki article doesn't even cite Days Of The Future Passed in its presentation. Need I say more? :rolleyes:

Bruno Primas likes this.
  2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Guess it depends on whether an album by rock stars which doesn't feature rock music would count. If so, Songs Our Daddy Taught Us by the Everly Brothers would be a good contender, or His Hand in Mine by Elvis. An argument could be made for Elvis' Christmas Album, though it muddies the concept by using some non-Christmas tracks as filler. Little Deuce Coupe is all songs about cars... that seems a pretty clear concept.

starduster likes this.
  3. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Themes and more themes. No concepts there.

crispi likes this.
  4. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Doesn't change the fact that the definition they use ("A concept album is a studio album where all musical or lyrical ideas contribute to a single overall theme or unified story") is the commonly-accepted definition of the term.

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I'd argue that a narrative is not necessary for an album to fit the definition as a concept album.

I'd also argue that PS and Pepper launched a million unified-theme albums. That alone is qualification enough.

And, of course, I believe there is a narrative with PS anyway, whether it was intended or not, becausev there is progression of themes and growth throughout.

Durm likes this.
  6. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Only commonly-accepted by Wikipedia. That is not the authoritative or final source on anything. Moreover, didn't you just admit that this is one of those questions that doesn't have a definitive objective answer?

7. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I'm sure there are a few possible answers, but I think Tommy is the one that really put the concept album on the map, the grand-scale concept album at least.

8. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Well again, I think your definition of "concept album" is an idiosyncratic one which is outside the commonly-accepted view. To most observers/critics, "thematic album" and "concept album" are synonyms. Sinatra's 50s albums are quite commonly referred to as concept albums, and none of them contains a narrative.

starduster likes this.
  9. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

The difference is clear as day to me, I'm surprised you can't see it. Clarity and defining credit goes to Thom by the way.

10. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I cited wikipedia, but I think it's also commonly accepted by a majority of critics/listeners/whatever.

I don't think we can objectively determine what was the first concept album, because something like "songs with a thematic link" or even "songs with a narrative" are vague enough to be open to debate/disagreement. We certainly can determine what the consensus view is about the definition of the term "concept album" though... although this discussion is illustrating that even when there's a consensus view, there's possibility of dissension.

11. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

How is Pet Sounds a concept album? To me, it just sounds like a bunch of seemingly unrelated catchy pop tunes.

Upinsmoke, Further and starduster like this.
  12. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Easy-E likes this.
  13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Are you seeing some other distinction besides "has a narrative" (a criterion I've already rejected and believe is outside the consensus view)? If so, what is that distinction?

14. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

Let's just agree to disagree. All is settled then. ;)

15. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

I agree. I'm just not sure there is a strong enough thematic link between the songs on Pet Sounds to argue it is a concept album. I agree it's debatable though, as there are some common themes/emotions in many of the songs.

16. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Sure thing. I'll just post what I'd started writing below and then drop it. These links demonstrate that the commonly-accepted definition of "concept album" seems to preclude any requirement that there has to be a narrative. These are the first four hits on google for "concept album":

a rock-and-roll album with a theme

a studio album where all musical or lyrical ideas contribute to a single overall theme or unified story

A collection of songs written around one central theme or idea. Usually, each individual track expresses a different aspect or part of the main concept, with each track fitting together to form a cohesive idea.

an album that has a unifying theme or that tells a single story

an album whose recordings are unified by some theme (instrumental or lyrical or narrative or compositional)

17. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I've certainly always considered that one the first psychedelic album.

action pact likes this.
  18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

That's what I was going to say. There were other concept albums years before it in the folk, jazz, and coumtry fields (as well as Sinatra's thematic albums) but this may well be the first (or at least one of the first) in ROCK history.

Slokes likes this.
  19. zelox

zelox Well-Known Member

That's a decent smattering of sources so I'll give you credit for presenting that by way of defense, but it doesn't take away from the fact that Thom's differentiation is superior. As I said earlier, without such a distinction, this debate will go round and round in hopeless circles. More importantly, the distinction between "theme" and "concept" in this context is easy to grasp, that is, if you're willing to see it. Sometimes conventional wisdom and sources could use a little improvement - I think this thread highlights that. The same thing could be said for when Columbus left shore. :whistle:

crispi likes this.
  20. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

And "Dan and Dale" are actually Sun Ra and members of the Blues Project! Great little cash-in cult album.

D.H. likes this.
  21. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Maybe related.
    Jan and Dean Meet Batman, March 1966
    [​IMG]

Mal and Matthew B. like this.
  22. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Totally! Surf music meets space exotica to create proto-psych!

Folknik likes this.
  23. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Strictly my opinion, but to me an album with songs only about cars suggests a limited range of artistic imagination.

24. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Sounds like you take cars and their various functions for granted.

ajsmith and superstar19 like this.
  25. Phasecorrect

Phasecorrect Forum Resident

I like the White Lp in moderation and the high points are stellar.. But cmon, it's a bit of a mess.as was the band.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.