What was your first ever Live Concert?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gilliam, Jan 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeff1951

jeff1951 Forum Resident

I was listening to the first night of the festival from my seat on the football field waiting to receive my high school diploma from Granada Hills H.S. We could hear Jimi Hendrix in the air. All those speeches about embarking on the future now before us were ignored as I listened to the magical sounds. I attended the festival the following two days.

Fullbug likes this.
  2. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

My parents took me to see "Up With People" a couple of times, and I actually loved it - it was great to see young people playing real music and having fun. The first real rock concert I attended was Buffalo Springfield, playing at my local high school. I was in junior high and someone had slipped a flyer into my locker. They had a record on the radio I liked ("For What It's Worth") and they were so close I just hadda go. My parents dropped me off and picked me up afterward. I remember they seemed unbelievably loud and I could feel the bass go through my chest. Powerful stuff. I thought they sounded great, not that I had much to compare it to, but someone had the foresight to record the show (who was doing that in those days, especially a high school gig by a one-hit-wonder band [as far as anyone knew]??) and I've heard it and it was just as good as I remember.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  3. jeff1951

jeff1951 Forum Resident

I previously reported my first concert being a Mothers Of Invention concert at the Shrine Auditorium that featured the ensemble of performers recording for Bizarre Records at that time..... The GTO's, Wildman Fisher, Alice Cooper....
    How could I have forgotten seeing the Beatles perform at the Las Vegas Convention Center circa 1964 or 65?? I was 13 or 14 at the time. My folks had taken us for a getaway and someone my dad knew had a connection for tickets. Seeing the Beatles in an indoor facility with all those screaming fans was something else!

djdomato likes this.
  4. Texas T

Texas T Well-Known Member

Sam The Sham & The Pharaohs in the mid-60s at The Pit Club in Dallas, which was located at the Bronco Bowl.
    The sign out front read Wooly Bully Night.

My mother had gone to school with the wife of the Pit Club manager so they took me backstage between sets and I got a promo photo of the original band members personally autographed. I was 11 at the time and I still have that signed photo.

Tex_Writer and clhboa like this.
  5. evilB

evilB Forum Resident

The summer of 1981 - The Rockets, Loverboy, Blue Oyster Cult, Ted Nugent & Heart

clhboa likes this.
  6. It was The Stones 1965 at the Sports Arena in Los Angeles my second show was 1966 the Montgomery Ward store in Panorama City Ca. It was The Challengers that were playing before the show I heard a rumbling noise what comes driving up but The Dragula driven by Grandpa Munster himself in full costume[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
    djdomato, Cactus Bob, clhboa and 3 others like this.
  7. bet you ruined their evening

8. I was there at that show to up in the nosebleed section

Fullbug likes this.
  9. Gonna Roll Till I'm Old Gonna Rock Till I Drop

Fullbug likes this.
  10. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I think a lot of folks would like to hear that. I know I would!

11. good choice for an avatar

12. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

My first concert was The Cars (Icehouse opening) at the Hollywood Sportatorium, Hollywood, FL, October 24, 1987.

Great first concert.

13. if they were playing music it's a concert

14. belushipower

belushipower Forum Resident

Skyhooks, Hush, Ol' 55, Mick Choke band (and others?) at Tralee Speedway December 1975 (outside of Canberra). My sister won tickets on 2CA (radio station). Loved Skyhooks!

15. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Eurythmics in Melbourne in 1987 on the Revenge tour was my first big arena concert. I was 12 and went with my mother. It was a fantastic show!

16. Some threads just bring back the memories. 66-68 Talked to Mama Cass outside The Hollywood Palace. Talked to Marty Balin in a record store in Hollywood. Saw Love -Iron Butterfly [At a club called The Bank in Torrance my Brother knew the owner so I got to work the Light Show for all the bands ]. Saw The Chambers Brothers- The Who -Animals- Everly Brothers - Met Dick Dodd [ My brother and his wife used to hang with The Standells ]. Snuck into the RCA Studios [went in thru the parking structure ] Before they tossed me out Davey and Mickey came out. Saw Daryl Hooper and Jan Savage walking down Hollywood Blvd. Saw Mitch Mitchell. Cannot remember how many Teenage Fairs I went to at The Hollywood Palladium. Damn I had fun back then

djdomato likes this.
  17. SKean

SKean Forum Resident

My first paid / official concert was Emerson Lake & Powell in Sept of '86. The sound quality of that concert was
    astounding, never attended a show that sounded that exceptional since. The two shows that come close were Pink
    Floyd (The David Gilmour Band at that point) at Yankee Stadium in June of '94 and Emerson Lake and Palmer in
    Sept' 1997 at the State Theater in New Brunswick, New Jersey. ELPowell's sound budget via Polygram Records at
    the time must've been a hefty one, and was well spent due to the final results....

zen likes this.
  18. rednoise

rednoise Senior Member

The recording is floating around out there. It's confusing, though - a Buffalo Springfield set that was purported to be recorded at Whittier High School has been traded for decades... but it turns out it was not recorded there (some say it's at a club in Huntington Beach.) I know that it's not Whittier, because Neil Young is not present, and I know he was at my show. Another lesser traded set was supposedly from the Fillmore West, but that turns out to be the actual Whittier High show. Listening to it it sounds just like I remember. My gut is certain that it really is Whittier, as is now claimed.

The "Whittier" show that can be found on youtube is the incorrect one. I thought the true Whittier show was there, but I don't find it now.

edit... I just found it! Check it out here:

http://www.radiofreeolga.com/springfield-at-whs.html

Bad recording, of course, but the performance is great!

Tex_Writer likes this.
  19. Bob Marley & Wailers June 1980 @ Le Bourget airport, I was 16
    totally awesome

20. judge56988

judge56988 New Member

Jethro Tull soon after Thick as a Brick was released. I was 14 I think.

21. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

I wish I was cool like y'all but, my first concert was Kylie sodding Minogue when I was six. And this was in her bubble permed Stock Aitken
    Waterman years.

22. ElectroAl

ElectroAl New Member

Mine was the Chambers Brothers in the Fall of '68 followed closely by Chicago Transit Authority & Janis Joplin.

23. martini

martini Forum Resident

I was 13 when a friend and his mother took me to Huey Lewis and the News at the Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Oregon in December '86. Bruce Hornsby opened.

24. DesertHermit

DesertHermit Now an UrbanHermit

Yes, but was she any good?

25. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Hmmm, I can remember my six year old self enjoying it, which is the important thing. Wait, it was even called the 'Enjoy Yourself' tour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.