What were white male jocks listening to in Minnesota, summer 1980?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rswitzer, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident Thread Starter

I recently visited my parents and found an old program for the "Mr. Minnesota Teen" contest from the summer of 1980. I was a fish out of water at this event as it was mostly jocks with a few nerds like me sprinkled in. I ran cross country and was therefore deemed athletic enough.

As part of the program, they had us put on Phy Ed clothes and perform a goofy kind of dance while "YMCA" played over the intercom. We used our arms to spell Y-M-C-A . . . clever. This was rather humiliating since the event took place in my hometown. Morris, MN population ~5000. I have pictures that really should be destroyed and thankfully, no one made a video. (It would've been a home movie in those days.)

In the program, each participant listed their favorite food, movie, etc. including music. When asked for "most admired", nearly every person listed an athlete. Below is the list of artists mentioned along with the frequency that they appeared. Please note that these questions were asked in the late spring of 1980 to a bunch of white jocks around 18 years old from various Minnesota High Schools.

Some class clown put "Cheese & The Slicers". About a dozen participants couldn't be bothered to write anything at all.

FWIW, my vote was for The Beatles.

Artist - Votes
    Styx 16
    Boston 12
    ELO 11
    The Cars 10
    Eagles 7
    Kenny Rogers 7
    Bob Seger 6
    The Doobie Brothers 6
    Barry Manilow 5
    Abba 4
    Billy Joel 4
    Meatloaf 4
    Supertramp 4
    The Beatles 4
    Blondie 3
    Little River Band 3
    Van Halen 3
    Cheap Trick 2
    Donna Summer 2
    Earth Wind & Fire 2
    Lynyrd Skynyrd 2
    Neil Diamond 2
    Pink Floyd 2
    REO Speedwagon 2
    The Imperials 2
    Aerosmith
    Bad Company
    Bee Gees
    Cheese & The Slicers
    Donna Summer
    Elton John
    England Dan & John Ford Coly
    George Thorogood
    Harry Chapin
    James Taylor
    Led Zeppelin
    Melissa Manchester
    Michael Johnson
    Molly Hatchet
    Neil Young
    Pilot
    Queen
    Rod Stewart
    Rush
    Seals & Crofts
    Simon & Garfunkel
    Ted Nugent
    The Bay City Rollers
    The Carpenters
    The Commodores
    The Dirt Band
    The Marshall Tucker Band
    The Oak Ridge Boys
    The Rolling Stones
    Tom Petty & Heartbreakers
    Toto

Mike Reynolds, Wright, ivor and 10 others like this.
  2. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

No one listened to Springsteen? Hard to believe.....

John Adam and zphage like this.
  3. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

Ok ....I see. It was a bunch of jocks. Explains Kenny Rogers and Manilow....

Murph, Sean, Lewisboogie and 2 others like this.
  4. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

Definitely not a college audience at the time which would have had a much different list. Surprised Heart aren't mentioned...

Lewisboogie likes this.
  5. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Two votes for REO Speedwagon pre-Hi Infidelity, interesting.

Fullbug, DiabloG, Lonecat and 2 others like this.
  6. Nipper

Nipper His Master's Voice

Interesting. I see a lot of high school sports yearbooks and these days I don't see nearly as much diversity. About 60% answer Drake, about 30% Kenny Chesney, and about one in ten have an interesting answer.

7. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Survivor, Rush, Styx, Yes, Journey, Joan Jett

8. libertycaps

libertycaps Forum Resident

Plasmatics. Duh.

9. Witchy Woman

Witchy Woman Forum Resident

The Stones only got one vote? Yet the Beatles who were long broken up got 4.

Interesting list, thanks for sharing.

notesofachord and Lewisboogie like this.
  10. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

No one will admit listening to Kiss in 1980? Not one?

11. Elliottmarx

Elliottmarx Always in the mood for Burt Bacharach

Wow, thanks for sharing your interesting story. Out of genuine curiosity, what was the favorite food and favorite movie?

12. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

I have to say that I think that you have won the most specific thread title ever. At first, I thought you were asking if someone had this information. I was only 7 in 1980 living in New Ulm, Minnesota and already collecting vinyl. At that time I had yet to discover my musical obsessions: Prince, The Beatles, Mozart, and many others. But I had quite the Barry Manilow collection already. I would love to have met the 5 jocks that were Fanilows! I am quite shocked that Barry edged out, well, anyone on this list.

13. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

Some of us in the Midwest were late to the Springsteen wave.

In Central Illinois REO would have had many more votes—Live and Tuna Fish were 8-track essentials back then. And Van Halen.

Hymie the Robot and pbuzby like this.
  14. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Cheese and the Slicers????

15. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

Take a look at the cover to Loverboy’s Get Lucky.
    Says everything about the early 80’s

16. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

No Sabbath?!

quicksrt, BryanA-HTX and bataclan2002 like this.
  17. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

I’m surprised Pilot garnered a vote as late as 1980.

18. debased

debased Senior Member

I can't believe Fleetwood Mac aren't.

It's like rock and roll never happened.

Never heard of them. Doubted it was Little Anthony's group so I checked wiki. They were/are a Christian band.

Michael Jackson?

Punks and stoners.

Completely incomprehensible.

No, you don't.

19. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Wasn't alive in the summer of 1980 but the summer of 2000 was Eminem's. I still remember returning to school on the first day of class after summer break and practically every other kid was wearing a white shirt with bleach blonde hair. His influence around that time was massive.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  20. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

And I was wondering why you needed it... Writing a novel set during the period?

wrappedinsky and Jayseph like this.
  21. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

It was embarrassing to admit you liked Kiss in 1980. If it was 1976 you would probably see about 30 votes!

22. Blue Cactus

Blue Cactus Forum Resident

True.

bataclan2002 likes this.
  23. vamborules

vamborules Forum Resident

No Dead? Where I was in 1980 it seemed like everyone was listening to the Dead. Everyone but me that is.

24. By the time of Unmasked they’d most definitely hit their sell-by date.

What surprises me a bit is that Styx were #1. Styx?!? Sure they were popular, but #1? What kind of jocks were these? :)

Fullbug and Lonecat like this.
  25. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Rock in The East was a bit different from what we experience as our reality in the Midwest. It's not the Jerseyesque identification that caused Eastern fans to exclusively bond with Springsteen, as much as, that they were also much more aware of the comings and goings of the Rock scene in general, compared to the casual fandom in the flyover states. Out here in the farmlands, your bigger cities were a palpable distance further away than in your NYC/Boston/Philly/Baltimore metroplex.

And of course, when we get Way Out West, well that's a whole other kettle of pop culture separated between the cities by in some cases, nearly a day's drive.

And now remember, we had a couple of years before Born In The U.S.A., and Bryan Adams and Mellencamp were both morphing into a juggernaut (soon to be joined by Brooooooce) of testosterone-tinged pop, that would move through the Radio world, approximately as fast as a doe being digested by a large snake. MTv was yet to attach its' neon-colored tentacles onto American youth's brainstems. But, that actually happened first, and was really somewhat dulled in effect by the Adams/Springsteen/Mellencamp influence, as American record companies and radio stations leery of losing their status as Tastemaker to some cable tv channel, cause them to scour the scene for "the next 'Jack & Diane'", et al.

And, then so what does Clive Davis bring us? Whitney freakin' Houston! :laugh: And the Pop wars were on again...Cyndi Lauper...Michael Jackson...Madonna...Prince...Go-Go's/Bangles (wait, they weren't the same band...:confused: ). But, America's lock on Rock had its' soldiers already, and nobody with tattered, acid-washed jeans brought results like Bryan Cougar Springsteen. :wiggle:

So you can conclude that in 1980, music awareness outside the larger pop-culture communities in the Seaboard and the Left Coast, music was more focused on...more of the same.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    maui jim and wrappedinsky like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.