What were white male jocks listening to in Minnesota, summer 1980?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rswitzer, Aug 18, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Uther

Uther Forum Resident

It would be interesting to see what the results of a similar poll taken at the same time in a small British town would be.

wrappedinsky likes this.
  2. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident Thread Starter

Fwiw, I'm the OP and the album I listened to the most in the summer of '80 was probably London Calling.

Exit Flagger likes this.
  3. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

Tell me about it. I was that one kid who didn’t care - proudly wore my Dynasty t-shirt to school and had notebooks with the covers of the solo albums.
    On a side note, I really felt like the only Kiss fan in the world from about 1980 to the time they came to Worcester in January of 83. It’s like all the fans came out of hiding for the Creatures album. And their fan base started to build again after that.

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  4. bataclan2002

bataclan2002 All You Need Is Now.

No, Sabbath was off the radar for the most part amongst cool teenagers in 1980. I met one other kid in my high school who liked them (I had a Heaven and Hell t-shirt that I wore) and we had some interesting conversations about the band, but that’s about it.
    And fwiw, I lived in New England and was not a jock.

black sheriff likes this.
  5. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

The Jam

6. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

In the back of our high school graduation year book every student got a small block of space to put anything they wanted to, like a mini personal time capsule of text. I no longer have my year book but it would be interesing to see what what was noted by classmates. Incidently, I, along with my circle of friends put "Mich" as an inside joke. referring to Michelob beer which we consumed voraciously. I remember seeing a lot of AC/DC and Zep too!

7. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

I graduated from high school in 1980. I remember a cluster of guys from the rough part of town were really into AC/DC. In the school parking lot, I'd hear a lot of Styx, Supertramp, Kansas and Genesis. I was feeling lonely in my bedroom reading Trouser Press and listening to Talking Heads.

trumpet sounds likes this.
  8. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Apparently rocking out to Bay City Rollers

9. ZippyPippy

ZippyPippy Forum Resident

Coward of the County played big around that time in some corners

10. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

So, people in Minnesota in 1980 didn't listen to their greatest ever musical genius……… ???? Born in Hibbing………...

Sean likes this.
  11. davebush

davebush New Test Leper

Wow - I just remembered writing out the lyrics to Costello's "Mystery Dance" in a classmate's yearbook. Forgot all about that until just now.

12. A couple of years later I was a junior high kid with a Trouser Press subscription and a half-dozen AC/DC albums. :)

AC/DC were kind of a cross-cutting band where I grew up in southern Alberta, both the jocks and skids were into them. Nobody seemed to actively dislike them, at least among the guys.

davebush likes this.
  13. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Wasn't Elliott Smith himself kind of a jock in HS, before Heatmiser? Or do I have that wrong?

14. Van Halen
    AC/DC

15. Possible that one of the kids was Baha'i.

Beamish13 likes this.
  16. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

Pilot, Melissa Manchester, and the Carpenters? Something seems fishy here.... Maybe they were putting down names they thought the judges would like.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  17. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

Near the end of That 70s Show's run there's an episode where Eric wants to go see a Styx concert (1979) and his friends all dismiss him only to find out they all actually like Styx.

:p

Comet01 likes this.
  18. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Don’t think so, I vaguely remember something about football though. “After graduation, Smith began calling himself "Elliott", saying that he thought "Steve" sounded too much like a "jock" name...”

19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Styx was the band a lot of highschool guys listened to in the early 80's. "Blue Collar Man" was still popular from two years earlier and then "Too Much Time On My Hands" was huge my senior year.

I wasnt a jock, but hung around a lot that were. I remember clearly sitting in the highschool parking lot with "Too Much Time On My Hands" blasting from a friends white Cougar with uncapped headers. That song seemed very unusual for the time. "Turn Me Loose" and "Working For The Weekend" by Loverboy were also blasted. "Urgent" and "Waiting For A Girl Like You" by Foreigner were giant songs that the jock crowd with their cheerleading gf's would definitely be listening to also. "Journey" was everyones favorite in the 80s. Never considered them one time as fluff. And, in defense of this stance, Steve Perry was one of the greatest tenors ever to pick up a microphone.

Point is, I cant recall anyone making fun of a jock or otherwise that listened to these bands. Never entered our minds that it was fluff. Thise songs and bands were "our" bands. Just like The Beatles, Elvis etc were the 60s and 50s generations bands and artists.

Bruce? In my area of Texas he might as well have been from another planet in the early 80's. Barry Manillow? Believe it or not he was considered a respected writer and pianist. Maybe in the same way Billy Joel was around that time. "Mandy" was loved by everyone. To the point of making fun of the song. Kind of like "Beth" by Kiss. Then, of course, the Manillow songs became the brunt of jokes.

For some reason those love ballads by REO Speedwagon were never considered fluff by anyone in highschool that I recall. Everyone loved those songs. Simpler times and a youthful mindset. Even jocks fell in love for the first time. I think the tough name "REO Speedwagon" sounded like a rock bands name. I thnk the name carried a lot of the songs, weirdly enough.

I cant recall the time that I last listened to Loverboy, REO, Styx or Journey. My tastes have changed. Sometimes going way back and then sometimes current.

But I dont think its a headscratcher that a midwest school in the 80s was listening to 80s popular music.

Andersoncouncil and Comet01 like this.
  20. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

One of my absolute favorite moments of the show, thank you for reminding me of this! :tiphat:

Comet01 likes this.
  21. CraigWilliams

CraigWilliams Forum Resident

No Minnesota love for Prince? :laugh:

Jayseph and Beamish13 like this.
  22. x2zero

x2zero Forum Resident

No Grateful Dead? very different from my HS in the NYC suburbs.

23. Ironclaw

Ironclaw Forum Resident

Oh, hello

24. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

None of them were into PiL or Gang of Four? Unthinkable

strummer101 likes this.
  25. plentyofjamjars67

plentyofjamjars67 Forum Resident

coolest jock in town

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.