What will happen with CDs?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Ellis, Jun 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

Ha! I remember perusing other's LP collections to get an idea of their favorite bands, genres, eras, etc.
    Did they have (or collect) imports, 12" singles, picture discs? (7" 45's are another level of conversation!)

What condition was their "collection"? New or used? Were the records just laying about "naked" in a loose pile next to fast food wrappers (***shudder***!) or meticulously shelved in alpha order in plastic sleeves? (Impressive!)

If I saw a scrap heap pile of cassingles, well, let's say I'd have to be polite and bite my lip...who am I to judge? :angel:

2. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Vinyl! :rant:

Yea, more arguing! :pineapple:

jsayers likes this.
  3. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

In the year 2016 people will abandon their CDs and will send them all to me to enjoy free of charge so that they can be freed of media and enslaves themselves to the digital download overlords. :D

{then I woke up from my dream}

Starwanderer and ukrules like this.
  4. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

lol. We need a dancing LP emoticon.

5. bosskeenneat

bosskeenneat Forum Resident

The knockdown of the compact disc from its "20 bucks for 10 songs" 1987 heyday has been a boon to folks like me, and when you factor in the European copyright act which left everything prior to the Beatles scattered to the winds, I'm seeing deals that I easily would have laughed at anyone for thinking so ridiculously could happen one day. I just purchased three 10 CD box sets comprised of nothing but hundreds of lost Rock 'n Roll 45's from '56 to '62, and to say they're mind-blowing is the understatement of the year. The same exact thing is happening for any & all genres you could name from that time period (Real Gone music a prime example).Add the collections of the silver discs that are being jettisoned just like their vinyl counterparts were, and it seems the computer has given a lot of old school music vinyl & CD "hunters and gatherers" a huge gift.......maybe we oughta think twice before hurling that boulder at that Dell, guys!:righton:

6. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

For the most part CDs will probably only be made for a couple of more years.

7. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

If I can still find a Weltron 8 track player on line 40+ years later I'm sure it won't be a problem for CD players,and the Cds to play on it.

8. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

It was puposefully worded as "anecdotal". I really don't know what will happen. But I know that these kids are not alone. And they are coming up fast. One of them will be able to vote in the next U.S. presidential election and in abut five years will be earning a living in the real world. There will an interest in the phone device she always carries. There will be no interest in physical media. Meanwhile I will age a bit,hopefully get out of full time work at about the same time and be limited as my purchases for everything,including physical media.
    As for going against human nature to have things that people can hold and cherish,just ask the folks at Tower Records,Borders Books as well as the media buyers for the remaining places selling physical media like Wal-Mart,Best Buy,FYE and Barnes & Noble. Even ask the folks at Amazon what books,music and movies will mean to them in ten years as opposed to ten years ago. Ask Blockbuster about the DVD rental business. There may be little regret from computer file purchases if there are no purchases of computer files.

9. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Nothing will happen to CDs just like with records and cassettes.

10. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Human nature isn't much help here. Is it human nature to listen to music on a circular grooved disc or using a laser? And yet that's what most people had been using for the last six+ decades. So now it's a file on a small box instead. Who would have thought a few decades ago that many office workers would spend their day just staring at a screen and clicking things on it?

I don't think CD's are going away tomorrow, but they are falling out of favor in the US and the sales numbers seem to indicate that. Vinyl sales are increasing, but we are the minority here in regards to physical media and the trend will continue imo. In my admittedly limited scope, I know perhaps one or two people who still buy physical media. The rest, and that includes older people as well, are digital download and streaming only.

ARK likes this.
  11. GreatKingRat

GreatKingRat Well-Known Member

Bollocks mate.

Just because you write something on the internet doesn't make it true. No doubt you're a big fan of vinyl, sales of which are miniscule in relation to CD. Yes, in two years the main music format for albums will have been got rid of. Sure thing.

12. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Heh. People have been saying CDs will fizzle out completely in a couple years for about the last 6 or 7. They'll hang around as a niche product for several years to come. Online merchants like Amazon ensure that to be the case.

Jim B. likes this.
  13. SoporJoe

SoporJoe Forum Resident

I actually buy CDs, so I guess you're right about writing something on the Internet doesn't make it true.

Cheers.

Uh, "mate".

14. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

15. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Shak Cohen likes this.
  16. 905

905 Senior Member

The Homelanders/New Silents may start a CD resurgence just to be different from their Millennial parents :D

17. Jim B.

Jim B. Senior Member

That's a key point, 'quality releaess'. If the record labels in the West want to keep getting our money they need to do this, i.e. great mastering and a nice package.

You can talk about streaming all you like but for example you can't beat a brilliantly curated compilation CD covering a more obscure genre, like the stuff that Ace put out.

dlemaudit and xcqn like this.
  18. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

Cd quality issues (both mastering and manufacturing) is probably why people stopped buying cd's in the first place.

New titles recorded digitally often sounds better on vinyl then cd. What's up with that? Clearly the labels did a very bad job. That is what the recent increase in vinyl-sales really is all about, better sound quality. Cd has potential for so much more but instead the executives decides to give us crappy masters.

Whole record-industry in desperate need of a reboot!

Starwanderer likes this.
  19. Smiths22

Smiths22 Well-Known Member

Many new cd releases are already sold as a niche product. They print a certain amount of pieces and the next year titles are already deleted.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  20. Why ? There are dozens if not hundreds of 'indies' making a good go of releasing music they want to release.

21. Sean

Sean Senior Member

Hipsters not yet born will someday discover them, think they're cool & buy them up before they get their first cd player.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
    DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  22. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

Really, "'Hipsters" like CDs. Fascinating!

23. serge

serge Forum Resident

landfill

24. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

Not mine! :p

25. Dave S

Dave S Forum Resident

Unless they were made at a pressing with a bad reputation, such as the PDO plant in the UK, they were likely mishandled or stored in unsavory conditions. A CD will play perfectly even with a few pinholes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.