What would you love to see from the Bowie archives released/re-released?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by talkingh, Apr 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

at least we have an excellent quality rehearsal of Bowie's original version.

2. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

And of course there is the 2003 Riverside video with 5.1 Visconti live mix of the Reality album tracks plus enough other tracks. Bring it on (5.1 too)

3. Halloween_Jack

Halloween_Jack Senior Member

A bluray, vinyl & CD release of his return to Hammersmith, October 2nd 2002. Utterly bemuses me why this remains unreleased...
    I won tickets and the whole evening was just utterly beyond magical!

Bink and footprintsinthesand like this.
  4. mikaal

mikaal Sociopathic Nice Guy

Hunky Dory outakes/demos would be amazing.

5. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

Not going to happen according to Jeff Rougvie

Some tapes were in very rough shape. The 2 inch 16-track unmixed masters for the “1980 Floor Show” were falling apart in our hands. Recording tape in the 70’s was a thin piece of plastic coated in ferric oxide, which electronically transcribed recordings with a very high level of fidelity. But, if improperly stored, the fragile tapes start to break down. The oxide loses hold of the plastic and starts to “shred”. It was terrifying to open a box and see little bits of dark tape fall out.
    There are sometimes ways to rescue these tapes. At the time, one of newest developments was baking the tapes. This is pretty much exactly what it sounds like. You have to very carefully put the failing tapes into an oven, and hope the shredding oxide cooks itself back onto the plastic. It sometimes works with great results. Other times, the materials are just too far gone and can’t be saved. Such was the case with “1980 Floor Show”.
    We made every effort to breathe life back into the 16 track masters for those, but they were lost. I seem to recall hearing that NBC had held them for years and were only released back to Bowie in the 80’s. It’s quite possible there are decent two track masters for the recording somewhere, but I have to assume the final mixdowns were mono, as stereo TV was not a thing at that point.

Frittenköter likes this.
  6. NightGoatToCairo

NightGoatToCairo Forum Resident

Was this filmed then? A very long set-list I remember. I wasn't there unfortunately; only managed Old Trafford on The Heathen Tour.

7. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

- a collection of previously unreleased studio tracks as a single or double CD or how about an Anthology type box, stuffed with such goodies?
    - another Ziggy gig with very good sound quality please

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Thanks for that info. Not surprising

9. tedg65

tedg65 Forum Resident

Somebody posted quite a few vids from this show a few years back on DIME....quality was extremely good....I forget if they were rehearsals or parts of the actually show or both..

10. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

I was lucky to be at both of those shows. The Hammersmith show was particularly special but no it wasn't filmed.

The Old Trafford show was filmed and I seem to remember reading that part of it was broadcast in America although I have never found any pro shot footage of it.

I have always wondered if the 2002 Roseland show was filmed. I think this was the only show where Low was performed in the original order. Having seen the audience filmed footage I can't see any cameras so I guess not. However I am sure the powers that be won't be able to resist releasing the the Berlin concert from 2002 when he performed Low.

There is also a good concert from the Paris Olympia from 2002 that I think should be relatively easy to find.

NightGoatToCairo likes this.
  11. flashingnocolour

flashingnocolour New Member

Yes, its the only version I know of. Are there any others?

12. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

a handful of 1976 live renditions, but no studio renditions that i know of. it wouldn't surprise if there is one in the archives though.

13. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Maybe some movement re. 50th Birthday film (1997) MSG.
    From Tim Pope's Twitter account on April 6th after the film was screened in Lausanne:

If you weren't in Lausanne at my 50th birthday Bowie screening, here's how it looked on the big screen... watched here by directors Stephen Apkon, Hugh Hudson and Barry Levinson. Movements are afoot to get the film screened more widely. Watch this space!

villiers terrace likes this.
  14. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

I'd like to see the original trident mixes of Bombers,The Supermen and 1984/Dodo.Those Ryko remixes were rough

15. NightGoatToCairo

Bowpromo for Bombers and Glastonbury Fayre for Supermen.

16. rrowley

rrowley Forum Resident

Sure but those are vinyl only and bombers is a needledrop with reversed channels

17. NightGoatToCairo

Not exclusively.

rrowley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.