what year did barcodes start being used on records?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greg(ory), Nov 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg(ory)

Greg(ory) Some Stupid With A Space Gun Thread Starter

anyone know?

2. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

IIRC, it was sometime in early 1980.

As I remember it, there was some type of controversy over the cover of Springsteen's the River. Whether or not Bruce would allow them to put the UPC on. Well it came out in the beginning of November of 1980 with a barcode.

3. peter

peter Senior Member

It varied by country and by record label. Born in the USA in the Uk did NOT have a bar code on it when it was first released in 1984, though good luck to anyone trying to find one. I had one and stolen from me. I now have a Dutch orig. BITUSA and it too does not have a bar code.

However, some record companies in the USA did indeed start using them in 1980, though I did not realize The River was one of the early titles.

For the record, Kate Bush's "The Dreaming" does exits in the UK without a bar code, though again, try finding one.

4. GV1967

GV1967 Senior Member

I HATED when those ugly bar codes showed up on the Beatles LP covers.

5. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

IIRC, Neil Young also was pissed off when they put one (or tried to) on his LP when UPCs were first being used.

6. telliott

telliott Senior Member

IMO, Bar codes ruined the design of 45 labels!

Tim

7. serge

serge Forum Resident

I always think 1980-81 but it did vary by label...

8. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

They start in former Czechoslovakia in 1988

9. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Anybody know when Columbia did? I bought a minty LP of the Claude Bolling-Jean Pierre Rampal "Suite for Flute and Jazz Piano" album recently, and it has a barcode on the back. Barcodes have nothing to do with whether it was cut using DMM or not, correct? (I.e., they didn't necessarily correspond with a move toward that process)

10. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

CBS started to use them in late 1983.

Atlantic started using them in 1987.

11. shutuplittleman

shutuplittleman Forum Resident

In 1975, Albert Brooks released his second (and, alas, last) comedy album, A STAR IS BOUGHT. The premise was that, in an attempt to make the album a huge seller, each cut was intended for a different radio format (country, top 40, classical, etc.) In short, the record was intended to be a complete commercial selling-out.

And as a "joke," there was even a barcode on the cover.

Don't know if it really counts, but it was probably the first album to ever sport one.

uzn007 and nikh33 like this.
  12. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

The earliest album I have with a barcode is Elvis Costello's Armed Forces which I purchased when it first came out (with the EP) in 1979.

Mark

13. JulesDassin

JulesDassin Forum Resident In Memoriam

I could be wrong wrong but i thought this was the very first one from july 1980

Attached Files:

uzn007 and nikh33 like this.
  14. Wilkie

Wilkie New Member

In the thread Bar Codes - What is the issue?, there are some other early examples. There is also a Billboard article giving an overview on where the major labels stood on the issue at that time.

He got a Grammy nomination for that album. In December 1975 he did a short film for Saturday Night Live (the episode with Richard Pryor)...in the film Albert used the album as a prop, and tried to say the name of the label and title, but it kept getting bleeped. He got in a bunch of jabs at the label though. Here's my copy showing the unofficial UPC on the back:

[​IMG]

nikh33 likes this.
  15. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

I worked in a record store from 1985-1990, and bar codes were uncommon at best when I started but par for the course by the time I left, so I'd say they were largely rolled out during that 5 year period.

16. telliott

telliott Senior Member

When did your store install a scanner at the check out?

17. TSmithPage

TSmithPage Ex Post Facto Member

As I recall, sometime around 87 or 88 but they also used stickers that had bar codes on them and that is generally what would be scanned. One thing that sticks in my mind is going from having LPs in the returns bin with no codes on them to having nothing but codes. The more I think about it, the more likely the time frame of 86 or 87 seems most likely. By the time we were phasing out LPs for CDs, most everything had bar codes on it.

18. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

I would enhance the question and add: What was the last time you see an album without barcode? :)

19. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

Stiff Little Fingers - Nobody's Heroes (1980)

[​IMG]

20. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

21. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

22. bystander

bystander Forum Resident

that's the very first one I remember too, I saw it at Tower Records at columbus & bay when it was a highly anticipated new release... at the time I thought the curious bar code was maybe part of the artwork as some sort of "consumerist" statement.

uzn007 likes this.
  23. Bruce

Bruce Senior Member

I believe Elvis Costello's "Armed Forces" was the 1st in the USA

24. Emberglow

Emberglow Senior Member

I've just checked my UK first pressing of Elvis Costello & The Attractions Armed Forces (Radar Records RAD 14) and there's no barcode on the album or the EP

I'm sure that barcodes were in use in the US before they became common in Europe

25. PatrickO'Donnell

PatrickO'Donnell Active Member

A fair amount of independent labels don't use them, or go the route of having a barcode sticker on the packaging. Barcodes have also become less obtrusive over the years, you no longer have to have a big white block on the back of your record.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.