What your music collection may look like in the future....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by soundboy, Mar 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundboy

soundboy Senior Member Thread Starter

Will this be your music's collection's future?

[​IMG]

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Probably more like this . . .

Attached Files:

3. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Nope:

[​IMG]

Note: It's not mine :sigh:

4. dgsinner

dgsinner New Member

What store is this?

5. efhjr

efhjr Idler Wheel Enthusiast

Sure looks like Amoeba Records in San Francisco. I could be wrong, I've only been there once.

6. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

BINGO!

7. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

:eek: must... hitch-hike...California... :goodie:

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I wanna go to San Francisco!

9. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

Are you goin to San Francisco? Be sure to bring lots of money....for THAT STORE!! I could walk in there and not come out for days..

10. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

I love Amoeba! The store is a converted bowling alley. When I lived in SF I would bike up to the Haight and spend up to 2 hours in there browsing at everything. How I wish something like that was here in my town.

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

If you go to San Francisco, make sure to wear some flowers in your hair......

12. Aman

Aman Forum Resident

NEVER! Nothing will EVER replicate the sound and naturalness/warmth of vinyl.

Although, my record collection is somewhat measly at only a bit over 1000.

13. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

And bring a bag full of promos. Seriously folks, Ameoba is the place to go to dump all your polycarbonate in exchange for some clean vinyl. And, no---I don't work for them. I used to work at another CD store situated 5 short blocks from the equally fabulous Berkeley store, situated right on top of People's Park.

14. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Seems like you should work at a dedicated indie music store vs where you work now...not that your shop is bad, but I can see you at an indie.....

15. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

:righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton: :righton:
    Peace-
    Norm

16. teaser5

I went to the Amoeba in LA on my last trip to California. I guess it's in Hollywood?

Anyway I was naturally knocked out by the place. It's very very cool.

Still there was one thing there that bugged me: They don't ship! Doesn't that seem foolish?

I mean they must get lots of cats out there like myself: in from the east coast and managed to drop the wife and kid off at the beach to get in a few hours of shopping. I had a bunch of records in my hands and couldn't believe the guy when he said they don't ship stuff. I put them all back and instead walked out with a couple hundred bucks in CD's. I had no way to get those records back east. Damn shame IMO.

Some enterprising guy should set up a shipping concession there and make a bundle.

Peace-
    Norm

17. grumpyBB

grumpyBB Forum Resident

Why didn't you just take them down to a local UPS store and ship them yourself? :confused:

18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Of course it will be surpassed eventually.
    The entire Amoeba Records collection stored 10 billion kbps in this:

[​IMG]

Just insert in your gamma ray reader (use dark matter footers for isolation).
    Better than mastertape, plus holographic surround video if desired!

19. dcathro

dcathro Forum Resident

I have heard that quite a few companies are planning to bring out very high quality music servers later this year.

Best Regards

20. jpr703

jpr703 New Member

It certainly will be the future of my collection. A hard drive is infinitely easier to deal with than several hundred plastic or vinyl discs!

21. teaser5

Just didn't know my way around town and I was on vacation schedule which is pretty tight. I live just outside Washington DC so I'm no hick but LA is still pretty imposing. If you don't know your way around it's pretty easy to slip into the wrong hood. I just feel that a place the size of Amoeba with their reputation should offer the service of shipping and it would probably be profitable. I may not be in that business anymore but I am a businessman. I ship meds all over the world from my little pharmacy; even Iraq.
    Just my two cents; not a big deal
    Peace-
    Norm

22. boead

boead New Member

23. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Not after it crashes! :)

24. axnyslie

axnyslie Forum Resident

where is the fun sitting in an office chair staring at a computer monitor? I'd rather be in a basement seated in front of tower speakers chilling in a beanbag chair next to a lava lamp holding a vinyl cover basked in the warmth of Moody Blues. :love:

25. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Heh. Wait until that HD that you spent months and months packing fails in 5 years. I was listening to Howard Stern couple'a weeks ago, and the producer of the Tonight Show, Vinnie Favale, was packing hundreds of DVDs and CDs to a huge RAID system with multiple hard drives, often spending night after night, month after month, ripping and transfering. He thought it was brilliant that he could sell all his hard-copies and get back some cash, consolidate his collection, network it to a geeky extent.

Old story I told, I was going to yard sales and people were selling their CDs like mad, many of them boasting how "cool they are putting it all on HD as Mp3".

What they don't realize is (especially since my job is IT based) that NO HARD DRIVE lasts forever, barely few of them over 10 years. So when you sell ALL your CDs, you'll realize you've let go of something somewhat valueable, especially since the MAN HOURS to transfer it all goes to waste in a matter of moments.

Death and taxes, right? Shellac recordings, vinyl, some tape and some Cds have stayed with us.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.