Whatever happened to the great music variety shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Sep 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

Those used to be really important for music.

Ed Sullivan of course
    Smothers Bros
    Sonny and Cher
    Glen Campbell

They need shows like that on the networks on prime time now. Like that would ever happen again. :)

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

They were cancelled.

The kids took over!

Damn kids.

3. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Who is this hypothetical "they" who need those shows?
    There is no such mass captive audience anymore.
    Programming one in prime time would be certain ratings disaster.

4. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Maybe not a golden classic, but I loved David Sanborn's "Night Music". Where else could you watch Eric Clapton, Robert Cray, Warren Zevon, Charlie Haden, Steve Turre, NRBQ, and Dan Hicks all on the same program, playing together.

5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

you can thank hal wilner for the eclectic musical combinations on that show. conway twitty and the residents was a classic as was leonard cohen and sonny rollins.

6. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Don't forget JacK Benny's show would also often have a variety format as well. Last week Connie Francis was his featured guest. You can catch Jack's show Sunday nights on the RTV (Retro TV) network if you get it.

7. fiscus1

fiscus1 Senior Member

People decided that they really didn't like variety just more of the same old crap.

8. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The current show that I find provides a good variety and presented like no other music show on TV is Jools Holland's Later. I'm surprised this show isn't more discussed and popular than it is but if I want to discover new artists performing on the stage, I turn on Jools' show. And not only do you see modern day, cutting edge artists but they throw in Tom Jones, Andy Williams, Burt Bacharach, Glen Campbell, etc. in the mix. Paul McCartney's even been on the show.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

I blame the Bay City Rollers and Howard Cosell.

10. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Forum Resident

The problem is that popular music is so fragmented now. MTV even dropped their Total Request Live show long ago, and that consisted of only the most popular music videos. People can just hit up YouTube and see their favorite artists nowadays. About all you see now are the musical guests on late night like the talk shows and Saturday Night Live.

American Idol seems to be filling the quota for music on primetime TV anyway. Maybe a music show needs to have the drama of a competition to succeed nowadays.

11. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

+1 for Later with Jools Holland, currently available in the US on Ovation (edited down from it's original BBC incarnation, though).

Personally I'd like to see an American Idol type competition to see if some of today's heavily auto-tuned pop stars can actually sing.

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The kids started to drop acid and watch "The Wizard of Oz" with the TV's sound off and Dark Side of the Moon on the stereo.

Didn't you take history when you went to school?

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Heh

14. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

One of the factors may have been oversaturation with similar variety shows from Ed Sullivan's Toast of the Town in 1948 to their gradually diminishing in the 1970's and 1980's. Maybe there were just too many of them. (I keep hoping that is true regarding the number of Reality shows.):)

15. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

Let's not forget the "Dean Martin Show" every Thursday night at 10PM on NBC. They were great variety shows with lots of music.

16. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Living High in the Dirty Business of Dreams

And a brilliant comic as host.

17. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

That sort of campy stuff went out by the early 80's.

18. I think as the bigger musical acts started clocking serious money on concert mega-tours, the incentive and appeal to do variety shows wore off for them. The networks always used them as a cheap way to fill programming, but the rise of dedicated music channels showing nothing but music videos helped to end interest in them.

19. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

i remember the family watching those shows-i would be reading & not paying attention
    until a rock band came on.of course,now i would enjoy some of the pop offerings,since
    i learned to love the kind of "adult " music i thought so corny back then.on the other
    hand, there were a lot of lame,mediocre acts on those shows.

20. il pleut

il pleut New Member

too expensive to book the big acts.

also senor wences is gone, so what's the point?

21. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

There are more than 3 channels to choose from now.

22. il pleut

il pleut New Member

more than three channels, but really nothing to choose from.

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The kids'll eat it up!

Springsteen was right!

Suggestion A: Hey—Why doesn't a cable channel do re-runs of the Dean Martin Show, now that everybody's in on the joke?

Suggestion B: A revamp of the Ed Sullivan Show With Marilyn Manson as host!

24. il pleut

il pleut New Member

ed sullivan was marilyn manson's father. little known fact.

25. Mark Kaufman

Mark Kaufman Forum Resident

I miss the all music shows like Midnight Special and Old Grey Whistle Test...they were all about showcasing current music, and they weren't a prime time thing. Seems like something along those lines could make a go of it today, especially with this handy internet thing.

But today, it happens in the late night talk shows--play a quickie and cut to commercial.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.