What's a good 50s pop collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by O Don Piano, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member Thread Starter

Looking through my Billboard Top Ten Charts 1955-2000 book, I realized I don't own any 50s pop! It would be nice to find something that combines vocal pop and rock and roll chart hits as well. Thanks!

2. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

A good starting point would be the soundtrack to American Graffiti. I think the songs range from 1954-1962.

Matt

3. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Time Life has numerous 50's CD collections.

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

With the Time-life disks, you can concentrate on just the 50s, year by year.

There are some other series that mingle songs from different years. The Ace Golden Age of American Popular Music series is outstanding, but you will find a few early 60s tracks on each disk.

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Take a look at the Ace catalog. Great sound, too!

6. Toby Latimer

Toby Latimer Forum Resident

7. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

Can any comment on the sound quality of the "Rock and Roll Era" CD's by Time Life?

8. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I have a few of them...they're OK...check out the ACE catalog!

9. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

RCA has a "Nipper's Greatest Hits" pop compilation series that covers their many artists of the 40s, 50s and 60s.

10. -Alan

-Alan Senior Member

If you want a nice 3 CD box set truly dedicated to 50s Pop, you can't go wrong with this title from Shout Factory:

Magic Moments: Best of 50's Pop

They also have other titles that focus on the 50s, 60s, Doo Wop, early R&R, etc. at their web page.

Attached Files:

11. I second this one. EVERYTHING I have frome ACE is really good.

12. PROG U.K.

PROG U.K. Audiophile-Anglophile

13. Khojem

Khojem Forum Resident

I think we're getting a bit confused here.

50s pop isn't rock N roll. 50s pop is mostly pre-rock. Can also be called MOR (or middle of the road) until the mid-60s.

14. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

O Don Piano, can you directly clarify which sort of music you are after? Us oldies get really confused about our oldies.

Matt

15. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

Rhino Doo Wop boxes I & II and great 50's and 60's music

16. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

The Rock and Roll Era was an incredible set, all 30 CD's. The series ran until 1964, but even with that, the 50's years was strong and impressive.

17. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Malt Shop Memories isn't bad either.

But the soundtrack to American Graffiti...that's a keeper :righton:

18. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks everyone! This helps!
    I'd say I am more interested in the "pop" aspect. In my OP, I mentioned some Rock N Roll could be included in the collections, but I'm now thinking not. I have been looking at the Billboard book of top 10 lists from the mid-fifties, and I guess I can put together my own 50s comps based on that. I just don't have much as far as the pop stuff goes.

19. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I don't know what the OP had in mind. To me 50s Pop is Dean Martin, Rosemary Clooney, Doris Day, Perry Como, Pattie Page ect. The Doo Wop featured in American Grafitti is Rock and Roll. Ballads were a big part of Rock and Roll. Elvis recorded many.

20. Nonhuman

Nonhuman Forum Resident

I think the path of picking a record label compilation might be a better way to go. 50's collections overlap so much that it negates the goal. For instance until I got my hands on "Fats Domino The legendary Imperial Recordings Box Set" I had a pitiful conception of what this man really meant to music. Narrowing the samples to record labels might facilitate much more meaningful depth to the 50's experience. For me the 50's mean magic.

21. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

Fats may have outsold everybody but Elvis!

22. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

There's another series underway called HARD TO FIND on the Hit Parade label, I have most of the disks. Definitely 'pop' more than rock. I think they tend to be more obscure than what is found on the Time-life sets

Following are track lists of some of them :

Hard to find Jukebox Classics 1956

1. The Green Door - Jim Lowe (#1 - 9/56) 2. Black Denim Trousers - The Cheers (Rare on CD) (#6 - 9/55) 3. The House of Blue Lights - Chuck Miller (Rare on CD) (#9 - 6/55) 4. Moonlight Gambler - Frankie Laine (#3 - 12/56) 5. In a Shanty in Old Shanty Town (Single Version) - Somethin' Smith & Redheads (CD Debut) (#27 - 6/56) 6. It's a Sin to Tell a Lie - Somethin' Smith & Redheads (Rare on CD) (#7 - 4/55) 7. City of Angels - The Highlights (CD Debut in USA) (#19 - 10/56) 8. It's Almost Tomorrow - The Dream Weavers (Rare on CD) (#7 - 11/55) 9. True Love (STEREO) - Bing Crosby & Grace Kelly (Rare on CD) (#3 - 9/56) 10. On the Street Where You Live - Vic Damone (#4 - 4/56) 11. Two Different Worlds - Don Rondo (Rare on CD) (#11 - 10/56) 12. From the Candy Store On the Corner to the Chapel On the Hill - Tony Bennett (CD Debut) (#11 - 8/56) 13. Can You Find It in Your Heart - Tony Bennett (Rare on CD) (#16 - 4/56) 14. Rock-a-Bye Your Baby with a Dixie Melody - Jerry Lewis (Rare on CD) (#10 - 11/56) 15. Moonglow & Theme from 'Picnic' (Stereo Single Version) - Morris Stoloff & His Orchestra (CD Debut) (#1 - 4/56) 16. Tonight You Belong to Me - Patience & Prudence (#4 - 8/56) 17. I Dreamed - Betty Johnson (Rare on CD) (#9 - 11/56) 18. White Silver Sands - The Owen Bradley Quintet (CD Debut) (#18 - 7/57) 19. Cinco Robles (Five Oaks) - Russell Arms (CD Debut) (#22 - 12/56) 20. Cindy, Oh Cindy - Vince Martin featuring The Tarriers (Rare on CD) (#9 - 10/56) 21. Wringle Wrangle - Fess Parker (CD Debut) (#12 - 12/56) 22. Rock Island Line - Lonnie Donegan & His Skiffle Group (#8 - 3/56) 23. My Boy - Flat Top - Dorothy Collins (CD Debut) (#16 - 11/55) 24. Rock and Roll Waltz - Kay Starr (#1 - 1/56)

1. Diana - Paul Anka 2. You're My One and Only Love - Ricky Nelson (Rare on CD) 3. Teen-Age Crush - Tommy Sands 4. A Teenager's Romance - Ricky Nelson (Rare on CD) 5. A Rose and A Baby Ruth - George Hamilton IV 6. Dark Moon - Gale Storm (Rare on CD) 7. Four Walls - Jim Lowe (CD Debut) 8. Rainbow - Russ Hamilton (Rare on CD) 9. I'm Available - Margie Rayburn (Rare on CD) 10. The Banana Boat Song - The Fontane Sisters (CD Debut in USA) 11. Freight Train - Rusty Draper (Rare on CD) 12. The Girl With The Golden Braids - Perry Como (CD Debut in USA) 13. Liechtensteiner Polka - Will Glahe & His Orch. (CD Debut) 14. Little White Lies - Betty Johnson (CD Debut in USA) 15. Love Me To Pieces - Jill Corey 16. In the Middle of an Island - Tony Bennett (Rare on CD) 17. Yes, Tonight Josephine - Johnnie Ray (CD Debut in USA) 18. Love Me Forever - Eydie Gorme (CD Debut) 19. When the Swallows Come Back to Capistrano - Pat Boone (STEREO) (CD Debut in USA) 20. Fascination - Jane Morgan (Stereo Version) 21. True Love - Jane Powell (CD Debut in USA) 22. Lovely One - The Four Voices (CD Debut) 23. Look Homeward Angel - The Four Esquires (CD Debut) 24. Open Up Your Heart (and Let the Sunshine In) - Cowboy Church Sunday School (Rare on CD) 25. He's Got the Whole World In His Hands - Laurie London (Rare on CD)

1958 1.Honeycomb - Jimmie Rodgers 2. You Are My Destiny - Paul Anka 3 (All of a Sudden) My Heart Sings (S) - Paul Anka 4. The End - Earl Grant 5. Hawaaian Wedding Song (S) - Andy Williams 6. The Wedding - June Valli 7. The Secret - Gordon MacCrae 8. Miracle of Love (S) - Eileen Rodgers 9. Treasure of Your Love - Eileen Rodgers 10. Put a Light in the Window (S) - Four Lads 11. Everybody Loves a Lover (S) - Doris Day 12. A Wonderful Time Up There (rerecording) - Pat Boone 13. Sugar Moon (S) - Pat Boone 14. Belonging to Someone - Patty Page 15. As Time Goes By (S) - Johnny Nash 16. The Voice of Love (S) - Johnny Nash 17. The Pledge of Love - Ken Copeland 18. A Fallen Star - Nick Noble 19. Dance Everyone Dance - Madiagan 20. That Old Black Magic - Prima & Smith 21. You Need Hands - Eydie Gorme 22. Dream (S) - Betty Johnson 23. Billy - Kathy Linden 24. Goodbye Jimmy Goodbye - Kathie Linden 25. The Little Blue Man - Betty Johnson 26. Beep Beep (S) - Playmates

Hard to Find Instrumentals

1. Manhattan Spiritual - Reg Owen & Orchestra (stereo) 2. March from the River Kwai & Colonel Bogey - Mitch Miller & Orchestra (stereo) 3. The Yellow Rose of Texas - Mitch Miller & Orchestra & Chorus 4. The Theme from 'Giant' - Les Baxter & Orchestra & Chorus (CD debut) 5. Honey-Babe - Art Mooney & Chorus (rare on CD) 6. The Children's Marching Song (Nick Nack Paddy Whack) - Cyril Stapleton & Orchestra & Chorus (stereo) 7. Joey's Song - Bill Haley & His Comets (CD Debut in U.S.) (stereo) 8. Smiles - Crazy Otto (CD debut in U.S.) 9. Glad Rag Doll - Crazy Otto (CD debut in U.S.) 10. Yellow Dog Blues - Joe Darensbourg & his Dixie Flyers (CD debut) 11. Little Dipper - The Mickey Mozart Quintet (CD debut) 12. Main Title from 'Man with the Golden Arm' and 'Molly-O' - Dick Jacobs & Orchestra & Chorus (CD debut) 13. The Petticoats of Portugal - Dick Jacobs & Orchestra & Chorus (CD debut) 14. Theme from 'The Three Penny Opera' (Moritat) - Richard Hayman & Jan August (CD debut) 15. Ciao, Ciao Bambina - Jacky Noguez & Orchestra (rare on CD)(stereo) 16. The Italian Theme - Cyril Stapleton & His Orchestra (CD debut in U.S.) 17. When the White Lilacs Bloom Again - Helmut Zacharias (rare on CD) 18. The Poor People of Paris - Lawrence Welk & His Champagne Music (CD debut) 19. Moritat (Theme from 'The Three Penny Opera') - Lawrence Welk & & His Sparkling Sextet (CD debut) 20. The Bandit (O'Cangaceiro) - Eddie Barclay & Orchestra (CD debut) 21. 11th Hour Melody - Lou Busch & Orchestra & Chorus (CD debut) 22. Almost Paradise - Lou Stein (CD debut) 23. Autumn Leaves - Steve Allen with George Cates & Orchestra (CD debut) 24. Around the World - Mantovani & Orchestra (CD debut Single Version) 25. My Beloved - Otto Cesana & Orchestra (CD debut) 26. Devotion - Otto Cesana & Orchestra (CD debut)(stereo) 27. Fascination - David Carroll & Orchestra (CD debut)(stereo) 28. It's Almost Tomorrow - David Carroll & Orchestra & Chorus (CD debut) 29. Melody of Love - David Carroll & Orchestra (CD debut)

The comments in brackets (tracks said to be rare, or cd debut, or debut in stereo) were in the lists I copied from the internet...

23. jgreen

jgreen Well-Known Member

I think 50s Pop was prevalent from 1950 through '55 but stayed on the charts through the 50s, along side rock and roll. You can really divide the two by the ages of the performers as well as the orchestration. Sinatra, Martin, Day, Page, Bennett were adults. Pat Boone, no matter how lightweight he may have been was rock and roll as was Paul Anka. If you listen to the rhythm section on "Love Letters In The Sand" or "All Of A Sudden My Heart Sings" you hear definite R+B bass, guitar, piano and drums.

24. audiodrome

audiodrome Senior Member

25. clairehuxtable

clairehuxtable Forum Resident

Another good one is "Instrumental Gems of the 50's" on Collectors Choice.

Disc: 1
    1. Third Man Theme - Anton Karas Listen
    2. Sam's Song Listen
    3. Nola - Les Paul Listen
    4. Laura - Stan Kenton & His Orchestra Listen
    5. Down Yonder Listen
    6. Delicado - Percy Faith & His Orchestra
    7. Meet Mister Callaghan - Les Paul
    8. Caravan - Ralph Marterie
    9. Song from Moulin Rouge (Where Is Your Heart?) - Percy Faith
    10. Oh! - Pee Wee Hunt & His Orchestra
    11. Melancholy Serenade - Jackie Gleason