What's a record that you know exists but you've never been able to find?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Crowley, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DolphinsIntheJacuzzi

DolphinsIntheJacuzzi Forum Resident

Jealous.

2. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

;) It's all good! I should have been more specific

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    OptimisticGoat likes this.
  3. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

Make no mistake - Beatles Butcher pressings aren't all that rare. They're just high in demand. You want rare Beatles, try finding an A-28 matrix US White Album, with the rejected mastering. A few snuck out and they are WAAAYY more rare than Butcher covers.

somnar, bekayne, crispi and 3 others like this.
  4. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

I would love to find (or at least see a photo of) the original BT Puppy release of Intercourse by The Tokens.

And I'd also love to find a sealed 8-track of The Beatles 20 Greatest Hits from 1982.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  5. Mogens

Mogens Forum Resident

I’ve seen Talking Heads “Sax and Violins” listed as a 7” on discographies but I’ve never seen evidence that it exists.

6. bigshot

bigshot Forum Resident

Not strictly a record or CD but in the sleeve notes on the Furniture 1991 best-of “She Gets Out The Scrapbook” it says that a cassette with a further 14 tracks was available from Survival Records if you sent them a stamped addressed envelope. I’m pretty sure I did (my memory of those years is a bit foggy) and got no reply.

Quite a few years later when the Internet was getting going I remember reading on a Yahoo page dedicated to Furniture that someone had seen that odd copies of this were floating around. Apparently they were demos for an unreleased third albums much like the songs “Farewell” and “How I’ve Come To Hate The Moon” from the 1991 comp mentioned above. I’d love to get of copy of this if it really did actually exist as their two actual albums are exceptional pieces of dark 80s pop.

While I’m in the mood I’m going to have a quick google around to see if I can find any more recent info

7. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

First on my list is the EMI 100 reissue of Hunky Dory. It comes up for sale on that auction sight rarely and almost never on Discogs.

Midnite Vultures is on my list but now that it has climbed over $150 a copy I will pass till it gets reissued. I have every other Beck original including the pink MFSL Sea Change

I acquired 3 copies of an RL LZII and an original UK plum copy so I’m good there.

My other white whale was an original Tool Aenima and I got that in the wild for super cheap just last year.

I guess one other LP I have wanted but don’t have is the original Blue is the Colour by The Beautiful South. I can obtain it by auction but I have determined to only get it in the wild. I have every other Beautiful South release and nearly competed my collection when I stumbled on a now gone record store in Sacramento which had in it’s import section Blue is the Colour, Quench, Painting it Red, and Solid Bronze Hits. They were not cheap and I could only afford 3 so I got the 3 rarest ones and now Blue is still out there waiting to be found.

ChrisInKansas likes this.
  8. Wounded Land

Wounded Land Forum Resident

Just found one maybe two or theee months ago. Awesome stuff...keep looking!

grapenut likes this.
  9. Trace

Trace Senior Member

Yes, and Graded NM with only stains & light wear! o_O :crazy:

Farmer Mike likes this.
  10. Tsomi

Tsomi Forum Resident

Apollonia 6 (consider this a Prince album) on CD. Just released once, in Japan (WPCP-3701), rare and way too pricey when it shows up on eBay.

11. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Sure, but note this record has actually sold on Discogs once before, for a more reasonable 60 bucks. I've got a $10,000 Monkees record I'll swap him for his DSOTM. It's special, because the boys are bearded on the back cover rather than clean shaven.

Trace likes this.
  12. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

[​IMG]

The "Bill" given second billing there is Bill Staines, who has since become a folk legend. This is his first album, and there were reportedly only 200 copies made. I saw a mint condition one on eBay once but couldn't bring myself to bid over $75...it ended up going for $130. According to Popsike, there have been two more copies up for grabs since then, and both went for even more than that. (I've been relatively lucky: Staines' next couple of albums also tend to fetch big prices on eBay, but I got one for $10 and one for $25. But I'm resigned to either breaking the bank or going without on the debut.)

drift likes this.
  13. Claus LH

Claus LH Forum Resident

I have been told with 99% certainty that it was out briefly (in a record store in Denmark) and I have also been told with 99% certainty that it was never released:
    The soundtrack album to “The Wall.”
    So far, apart from the listing in the end credits of the film that suggests it was coming, I have never seen one, nor heard of anyone who has it.
    But...I’ll keep looking

14. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Both in the spirit of this thread and in real life, this statement makes absolutely no sense to me. I mean no disrespect, but why this determination?

15. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I had this LP, got it in a grab back of bad records from a record store in Boston in the late `80s. I played it, it was so bad that I threw it away ! If I could have seen into the future I would have hung on to it to sell later. I do like her later stuff, even went to see her !

seed_drill likes this.
  16. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

Don’t get me wrong, I have no issue grabbing plenty of vinyl through auction but I have a list of records that I want to find in an actual store or show or estate sale. Usually they are records I have seen before in a store and passed originally or ones I have always wanted but just not at the top of my list. It makes collecting a little more fun. For instance the EMI 100 Hunky Dory I have no shot of ever finding in a store, so that one I will track down no matter how but plenty of others I know could show up at some point and I would rather wait. I have enough records to last a lifetime there’s no rush. Just earlier this year I found the Marbles LP (Robert Schneider’s one man band) in a store and that was on my list of store only finds. It took me eleven years but it happen and getting it that way was just a little sweeter. The same thing happened with Automatic for the People. I got the good one without the defect and paid only $8 just two years ago. I cherish that one so much more than if I has got it by auction.

ODShowtime and B. Bu Po like this.
  17. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Aerosmith Rocks Columbia SACD

ODShowtime, vinylontubes and The Hud like this.
  18. markbrow

markbrow Forum President

I'm talking the '87 promo of Prince's Black Album. I assume the '94 vinyl is the same mix as the CD; I found the earlier promo version to be a slightly more open mix.

Edit: Now I really want it!

Rare Vinyl Copies of Prince's 'Black Album' Surface

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

[​IMG]

A yellow stock copy of London is Behind Me.

20. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Frank Sinatra Sings the Pat Boone Songbook.

21. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Maybe they're filed next to Luthor and the Hand People. Or Badfinger!

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  22. WayneC

WayneC Hopelessly addicted to vinyl

They're pretty common in the UK. Whay dont you buy one on ebya or Discogs and get it shipped over?

Man at C&A likes this.
  23. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

(Responding to the quote below). Yeah, I think I know how you feel. I'm pretty well done too. My personal highlights include Buffalo Springfield Again mono check, Traffic 2nd album UK check, Beatles For Sale stereo tube cut check, A Hard Day's Night stereo SS cut check, UK Rolling Stones Big Hits mono, check, the first 4 Clash UK albums check. I recently found a minty picture cover of the Capitol Paperback Writer single that I've always wanted.
    I've never paid a lot of cash for these. A lot of good deals in the SH forums. Some of the above were expensive but I traded for them. I did pay $50 Canadian for the first Clash album recently though.
    The only collectable record I can think.of that I still sort of look out for is the UK export of the Hey Jude album.

stetsonic likes this.
  24. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

I’ve been poring over this thread in hopes that somebody mentions an unobtanium LP that I actually own, so I can gloat, but no dice.

:shake:

I did buy a pretty noisy VG copy of LZII RL from a member here for $25 some years back. The loud stuff sound amazing but the quieter acoustic sections are not so great. For those cuts I listen to a nice quiet AT/GP pressing...

Hey, I CAN gloat!

25. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

Elton John, Jump Up - on a non-remastered cd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.