What's a record that you know exists but you've never been able to find?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Crowley, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gonz

gonz Forum Resident

I like the hunt.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Little Feat.

Fullbug likes this.
  3. motownboy

motownboy Senior Member

[​IMG]

This is the Quadraphonic CD-4 LP from Japan. I haven't found this one yet, but I do have the Japan CD-4 Quad LP of The Singles 1969-73. The US quad version is a horrible SQ matrix version.

Bill Cormier likes this.
  4. d.douglas

d.douglas Forum Resident

Randy Holden's "Population II" is one that I would like to find. Another one would be the first Black Merda LP.

Gumboo likes this.
  5. The Trinity

The Trinity Do what thou wilt, so mote be it.

I agree, and I pay that can’t of money for these rare albums, but they rarely if ever turn up anymore. True holy grails.

seed_drill likes this.
  6. owsley

owsley Senior Member

They come up on collectorsfrenzy occasionally. Not impossibly rare, but impossibly affordable :)

Hey Vinyl Man and Aftermath like this.
  7. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Been seriously collecting since '74. The one item I've never seen and would love to own is a US United Artists mono copy of Traffic's Mr. Fantasy. Rare as hensteeth.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Sean, Bobsblkwax, ernie11 and 3 others like this.
  8. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Just had my hands on a copy last week. Nice VG++ with clean labels (but did have a drillhole). But my buddy won't part with it :)

9. Combination

Combination Forum Resident

A Kiss promo interview record for the Rock And Roll Over album, from Burns Media. So if anyone out there has it, you know what to do. :)

Haggis Wampovich likes this.
  10. Audioresearch

Audioresearch Forum Resident

Cielo E Terra Al Di Meola on cd

11. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

I've spent many a breakfast pondering this one...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Marc Perman and Chemguy like this.
  12. HappyFingers

HappyFingers Forum Resident

13. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Don't settle for the Sundazed mono "Heaven Is In Your Mind" - not good.

michanes and owsley like this.
  14. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I found all of the early Eno albums approximately 15 years ago at various thrift stores in rural Arkansas & I'm still unable to process this fact. Frankly, it scares me.

Farmer Mike, crispi, ndoheny and 4 others like this.
  15. PhoffiFozz

PhoffiFozz Forum Resident

Yes: "Time and a Word"/"The Prophet" 45. Even if I found one, I bet someone would ask for way too much for it. Well, maybe not almost $10,000 like The Dark Side of the Moon alternate cover Japanese pressing mentioned above.

16. grapenut

grapenut Forum Resident

A friend has one he bought in Montreal in early 80s ...he won't consider a trade.

17. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Thanks for the info but I am aware that that lp is a fabrication. The US Heaven Is In Your Mind lp was never issued in mono. I have the original, there's no mono catalogue number listed in the back cover like there is for Mr. Fantasy which does exist in mono. The Sundazed lp appears to use that same 'master' that came out on an Island CD years ago (coupled with the UK stereo version of Mr. Fantasy). IMO, I strongly suspect that master is a fabrication. Seriously doubt the original mono US lp used the 45 version of Giving To You.

Marc Perman likes this.
  18. I have that. MCA pressing on CD?

19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

A guy at school had the Australian pressing of the US mono and it had the "see this town..." version of Giving to You and Heaven is in Your Mind had the same guitar solo as the stereo version. This was 40 years ago so I could be wrong.

owsley likes this.
  20. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

The original version of the self titled Aerosmith album on cassette CT 32005. Can't seem to find it online even.

21. Evan Guest

Evan Guest Forum Resident

Deep Purple 'Concerto for Group & Orchestra' Original
    US Tetragrammaton Label Pressing.

michanes and Gumboo like this.
  22. WisFish

WisFish Dig Them Grooves

The Tetragrammaton 8-tracks seem to be easier to find, maybe.

Evan Guest likes this.
  23. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Lucky friend you have. Usually with my records, I try to avoid anything with writing on labels if I'm buying online, but I do try my best to avoid anything with a drill hole, but I do know if I ever come across this 45, it'll most likely have a drill hole with it. Clean labels on this would be a plus too.

owsley likes this.
  24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Bookends Mono.

One of these I'm going to find it, and then I'll have to figure out another Holy Grail to pine over.

Regandron, Cronverc, Peter_R and 2 others like this.
  25. owsley

owsley Senior Member

This is very interesting information! Based on the 'evidence' you provided with the guitar solo on 'Heaven', it sounds like the mono Australian Mr. Fantasy (Island FL 33-052) is a stereo folddown and not a true mono mix. The UK lp version of 'Giving To You' has notably different mono and stereo mixes, particularly the scat spoken intro (and both of these are totally different to the alternate version of 'Giving To You' that was issued as a single). It would make sense that the Australian mono lp would be a folddown since it was likely pressed in very small quantity and not worth the effort to acquire a mono master from United Artists UNLESS the US mono Mr. Fantasy is also a folddown! This two US mono copies that have come up on eBay in the past 10 years have sold for under $200 which is dirt cheap for an insanely rare pressing, unless perhaps it was a folddown. I never considered the US mono may be a folddown but now you've got my head spinning :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.