What's a record that you know exists but you've never been able to find?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Crowley, Feb 7, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lucretius

Lucretius Forum Resident

Doug Sahm - Crazy Daisy/Can't Believe You Wanna Leave (Satin 100). The Warrior version is scarce, but the Satin version is absolutely impossible to find.

[​IMG]

GerryO, grapenut, Spadeygrove and 3 others like this.
  2. baptistbusman

baptistbusman Compact Disc Advocate

Charley Pride “I’m Gonna Love Her on the Radio” on Cd. I can find no evidence of it’s existance, and have never seen it for sale on eBay. But I know for a fact I held it in my hands and stood at the register at Sam Goodys before I changed my mind and put it back and grabbed Randy Travis Heroes and Friends cd. It’s probably not that good of a cd, but since I was 14 it’s been a quest to find it.

3. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Murray Wingnut and the Egg Beaters. They had a minor hit in the local charts with "My Pants are Itchy and Weird"

Can not find it anywhere.

George Blair likes this.
  4. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Tiny Tim's debut single, released only as a DJ promo on Blue Cat (sister label to Red Bird) in 1966. I've never seen evidence of a copy having sold online. Fortunately both sides are available on CD.

Tiny Tim - April Showers / Little Girl

5. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Also, this album by a mysterious group called The Kentucky Raiders. A couple copies have been listed on eBay for big bucks.

The Kentucky Raiders - The Old Highway

Just one song from the record has been uploaded anywhere online, but it's good enough to make me and many others want to hear the rest of the album. Contrary to the "Folk Rockabilly" description, it's more akin to bluegrass.

6. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

I hope you find that record it sounds awesome

7. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

It does sound good. My Grado Mono cart quiets down the background nicely vs. playing it with a stereo cart.

8. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

That was Simon and Garfunkel's Bookends Mono. Scarce, but not "rare."

I've never seen a copy of the Bent Wind on vinyl. Just have the CD with the alternate cover art. I'm not financially able to bid for high dollar items. The most I spent last year was $80.00 for an excellent condition copy of The Charlatans on Phillips, which was the first time I'd seen an original of that album in person.

The Trinity likes this.
  9. sathvyre

sathvyre formerly known as ABBAmaniac

ALKANA - Welcome To My Paradise (1978)

10. lambfan68

lambfan68 Forum Resident

Here's a picture of it from a stock photo vendor.

[​IMG]

ndoheny likes this.
  11. SixOClockBoos

SixOClockBoos The Man On The Flaming Pie

Wow, there goes my wallet if I ever find someone selling that single for that price.

owsley likes this.
  12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

that's cool...: )

13. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

Queen "Innuendo" '91.
    No, not crappy "Hollywood Records" 2009 reissue sourced most likely from CD, anyway it sounds this way. And not a recent 2 LP's reissue with a different track order (for some unknown reason).
    I mean an original LP from 1991 which was released in many European countries at the time. For some reason it's really rare.

14. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

Carl and the Passions with the Pet Sounds LP
    Have never seen a copy in real life. Store near me had a huge lot of original Beach Boys mono records come in the other day; Smiley Smile, Wild Honey, tatty original copy of Pet Sounds, but I'm still looking for this version. I should probably just buy the AP mono instead.

15. Vinyl Socks

Vinyl Socks The Buzz Driver

I can't find any info on a 45rpm record of that song.

michanes and vudicus like this.
  16. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

Interestingly, I've seen that one (Carl and the Passions, with Pet Sounds) several times along the way. But what I've never seen is a Pet Sounds from 1966 (stereo or mono).

The one you're talking about is a gatefold. I imagine you could find it online somewhere as I don't think it's rare. Wasn't that how Carl and the Passions was originally packaged?

ndoheny likes this.
  17. yamfox

yamfox Forum Resident

A few places on the internet mention it was issued as a single backed with "Little Umbrellas" but the only picture or for-sale listing is for the sleeve on Popsike.. and it didn't even come with the record!
    popsike.com - Mothers of Invention,Bizarre 0889, "Peaches En Regalia",US,7" P/S only, reissue - auction details
    Definitely seems extremely rare.
    I actually find original Pet Sounds copies (usually duophonic but sometimes mono) fairly often, but they're never in good shape. And yes in the US I believe that's how CATP was issued initially, and you CAN easily find them online, but they've gotten quite expensive in NM shape as word has spread it's a very good sounding copy. Cheaper to order the Kevin Gray AP version from Acoustic Sounds

michanes likes this.
  18. tmoore

tmoore Forum Resident

If you haven't moved, you are probably in the right part of the country. As I recall, you live not far from Princeton and maybe 50-60 miles from NYC.

Gaslight likes this.
  19. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Original Aussie rainbow Capitol label mono copies of Pet Sounds are really rare. I've seen two copies in the last 20 years. AND I've NEVER seen a stereo copy.

20. Matt Starr

Matt Starr Forum Troglodyte

I didn't comb the rest of this thread to see if this has already been mentioned, but the reported all analogue, from the master tapes, 2004 German issue of Soundgarden Superunknown is one that I would love to have in my collection someday - but I've never seen one for sale - online or in person. In fact, other than a few folks on this site, I don't even know anyone that has one that I could check out, if I wanted to hear it.

I'm hoping to run across one in a store since I don't imagine most record store owners would recognize the difference between it and an original US copy.

ripping corpse likes this.
  21. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

I actually know where a copy is, finally spotting it "in the wild" after it had been on my LP want list for years. However, the seller wants $2000 for it... Edit: Evidently, it's on CD now for $17.

22. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I'd love the find a Budgie s/t or Squawk in the wild, not online.

23. inperson

inperson Senior Member

I got mine on ebay more than 10 years ago. Right when someone online started talking about this great RL cut LZ album. I found a guy selling one and asked him if it had RL on both sides. He said yep and I bought it. I think mine was $15 w shipping.

lesterbangs likes this.
  24. inperson

inperson Senior Member

That reminds me. I want a real Bone Machine pressing!

lpfreak1170 likes this.
  25. ibekeen

ibekeen Forum Resident

Davy Jones - "Girl" on Bell records (45 stock copy)

I know I could pay a lot on Ebay but I want to find it in the wild.

I'm his number two fan behind that Marcia chick.

2trackmind and troggy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.