What's considered bad for your stylus?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Trapper J, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Obviously played on this...

[​IMG]

2. Bolero

Bolero Senior Member

maybe it was damaged by someone wiping it down with something that was abrasive?

like a cloth with dirt in it etc

or trying to play it with a broken stylus?

who knows what kind of crazy gear that LP has seen :D

[​IMG]

Trapper J and Dennis0675 like this.
  3. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

When I was a young lad I had one of those all in one Sears record AM/FM cassette players. If I had a record that would skip I would apply pressure to the tone arm with my finger over that particular area of the record that skipped. If left the SAME marking that is on your record. It fixed the skip but sounded like SH** after I did it.

Please excuse my ignorance, I was 12 years old. But I think someone might have done the same thing. It wasn't this but it looked similar (digital radio instead of analog tuner and no 8 track and no read cartridge and the tone arm was not adjustable).

[​IMG]

tin ears, Trapper J and Ash76 like this.
  4. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

Steel wool.

ggergm likes this.
  5. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Anything by the Eagles.

I'm joking, I don't even own a turntable. :winkgrin:

vinyl13 and Trapper J like this.
  6. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member Thread Starter

Fairly common for me too, but not in good shape. Yea I'm kind of regretting this purchase now.

7. Trapper J

Trapper J Senior Member Thread Starter

Interesting... Thanks for the reply

8. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

You know, some of these thread titles I dread clicking on. Always something to worry about. We should have an all purpose sub-forum called "Paranoia Corner." Drink three cups of coffee before visiting, to fuel the anxiety... :) :thumbsup:

Ntotrar and MikeInFla like this.
  9. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Looks like the stylus was completely shot and the bottom of the cartridge was dragging on the record. Or, maybe it was skipping so somebody taped a few coins to the top of the head shell to weight it down? I wouldn't play it.

Trapper J likes this.
  10. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

I think that's it.

11. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Leave it to a dumb 12 year old to figure it out 32 years ago!

12. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Great quote.

I always say a stylus is like a baby. Once it pops out of the womb it immediately starts living, decaying and dying.

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  13. What's considered bad for your stylus?? Half a bottle of Jack Daniels!!!!

Rockin' Robby likes this.
  14. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

Scratched vinyl is still just vinyl and it's not going to wear the diamond any faster than a brand new groove. If the scratches are bad enough that they throw the diamond/cantilever around, those could be damaged by the physical onslaught but the diamond won't wear any faster.

Doug

OcdMan likes this.
  15. OcdMan

OcdMan Senior Member

I used to do that too! Funny stuff now. It's essentially the same kind of damage caused by DJ scratching which is extreme and excessive wear, except it's caused by 7 pounds of tracking force for one pass instead of 7 grams for 100 passes. Usually with an already trashed stylus. :eek:

I'd really like to hear the damaged portions of the LP in question. If there's a residual "thump" in the middle of it all, it was probably a skip and someone put their finger on the tonearm. If there's sibilance, the groove was shredded during mistracking. If it's just flat-out distortion, maybe DJ'ing or a quick test play by someone using a record wrecker. I have one of those LPs: pristine everywhere except where someone tested a section of a track with a junk turntable.

MikeInFla likes this.
  16. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

I have but I don't know how it happens, perhaps someone playing the same line over and over learning a guitar part? I don't even skip tracks for fear of damage, I play sides.:agree:

sean

Ntotrar likes this.
  17. Some old automatic turntables can do things like that to LPs in that part of the record. They have a thing that comes up every time you put a record, if it touches nothing, it knows it´s a single, if it touches something (that would be the LP) then it knows its an album. Playing it several times can result in something like that.

JimD likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.