What's Happening to the Prince Vinyl Reissue Campaign?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by CBackley, Aug 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored Thread Starter

Prince's classic catalog was supposed to be reissued on vinyl this year. His first two albums (For You and Prince) were released before his death, and a few had been reissued several years ago (Dirty Mind, Controversy, 1999, and Purple Rain). But the reissues scheduled for release since his death have all been pushed back one or more times, or in the case of The Black Album canceled entirely.

Around the World In a Day was supposed to be the next one up, but it has been pushed back multiple times. Parade is supposed to come out in a couple of weeks, but there's probably little chance that will happen. And just tonight I received emails from Amazon indicating that Lovesexy, Batmam, Graffiti Bridge, the Symbol album, and Come are all pushed back until February 24, 2017. (I pre-ordered Diamonds & Pearls from Barnes and Noble because I couldn't find a reliable listing on Amazon.)

Does anyone know what's happening? Does anyone know anyone involved in these reissues who could shed some light on whether or not they're actually going to continue? I've been very happy with the releases so far.

2. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

I'm sure his estate is so tied up in litigation that the business end, i.e. releases - even pre-planned stuff - are now on hold. I personally hope for remastered, expanded CD issues.

CBackley likes this.
  3. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

It seems to be more a case of all the vinyl pressing plants being overbooked. Pearl Jam's No Code and Yield reissues were delayed a few weeks because of it, as was Madonna's Erotica reissue.

CBackley likes this.
  4. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Remastered catalog & bootleg series please!

lightbulb likes this.
  5. Bunkweasal

Bunkweasal Forum Resident

Really? Well this is actually good news, then. I'm an olde dude, so I only do CDs these days, but if vinyl pressing plants are over-booked, that can only be a positive sign for music junkies. (and I still hope for the inevitable remaster/expanded campaign, especially for the Warner Bros. '78-'89 stuff).

6. CBackley

Others have suggested this to me on a different forum, but it seems odd to me that the capacity issues would affect every single one of Prince's reissues again and again and again, pushing their release dates back a little each time. Yet other artists can like up extensive reissue or box set programs (e.g. Sabbath eight color vinyl reissues, Bowie's upcoming box set, etc) with seemingly few or no similar production problems.

7. CBackley

I wondered about that too, but apparently several of his albums were reissued this week on cassette!

8. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

New date for Parade and Around The World... is 9th September according to amazon.co.uk. I have them both on pre order. Hope they sound as good as the others!

9. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

The year isn't over yet!

10. CBackley

Amazon (US) delivered my Parade pre-order on Tuesday. It looks great! I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but there's still hope for this reissue program.

11. spaulding

spaulding Hoi Polloi

Got Around the World lp-
    'KG' in dead wax.

Nice.

CBackley likes this.
  12. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

it's probably a victim of backlogging in pressing plants. I know Pearl Jam and Madonna both had delays on reissues this past summer for the same reason. I'm sure they're coming, just when the chance to get pressed arrives.

CBackley likes this.
  13. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Playing Sign of the Times now. Excellent, although I thought the original had stickers. No?

14. Graham

Graham Senior Member

15. Jayseph

Jayseph Somewhere Between Penny Lane & Alphabet St.

The remastered vinyl has the sticker on the front as it did with the original release (with copyright changes on the new one, of course). The only thing it seems to be missing is the fan club postcard inside.

Terry likes this.
  16. Vinyl_Blues

Vinyl_Blues Slave to the Groove

Re-upping this thread. Any news on this front? I am getting a little frustrated waiting for many of the 90's WB albums to be reissued on vinyl. I may just buy them on CD for now, unless there's any news of them being released this year. I heard that they were, but it doesn't seem like there's any definite release dates.

17. thatguy1976

thatguy1976 Forum Resident

I'm wondering the same thing. I really want more Prince LP reissues soon!

Vinyl_Blues likes this.
  18. BTBaboon

BTBaboon Active Member

Anyone hear any updates recently? Seems like this has fallen flat since his passing; I assume rights disputes are holding them up.

Would really love to get a nice remastered release of The Love Symbol.

19. SinisterGinger

SinisterGinger Forum Resident

Sadly nothing. I was really hoping to get a copy of The Black Album, Love Symbol and Come on LP.

CBackley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.