What's special about the Beatles white vinyl LPs

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fmuakkassa, Aug 19, 2007.

1. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M Thread Starter

I have seen Let It Be and the White album on white vinyl on e-bay. Are they sonically superior to other pressings or is the white vinyl just a cosmetic thing.

I have the BC13 box, the MFSL box and a NM UK copy (factory sample) with XEX 773 -2U, XEY 774 -2U matrix. Should I bother with the white vinyl copy sonically (other than for collecting purposes).

2. peter

peter Senior Member

Have never heard the white vinyl LIB, but the UK white vinyl White Album is pretty much acknowledged to be the best stereo pressing of that album that exists.

3. Pinknik

Pinknik Senior Member

Yes, just be careful, because there are lots of Capitol purple label white vinyl copies of the White Album, and they are not in the same league as the UK pressings.

4. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I have the 1978 export white vinyl UK and a 1970's UK -1 set. The white vinyl does have a bit more presence, to my ears. Its the best of the pressings I've heard. Not that the standard black vinyl UK is any slouch.....

All Down The Line likes this.
  5. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

The 1978(I believe thats the date ) UK White Album white vinyl lp to many( I would say most) is the stereo version to have. But it isnt just any white vinyl you want. Its the UK version. Certainly better than the MFSL and BC13 ( not to say those arent nice versions also). But ,yeah, imo it beats it. I dont have an original White UK white album so I dont know how it compares to that. But those whom Ive seen post that do say the UK White vinyl beats the original UK.

I dont have an original UK mono of this title but thats not a good comparison with the UK White vinyl since its stereo.

I have the Let it Be white vinyl but Im not sure its the right one. Or if there is just one UK version of this white vinyl title.Either way I havent compared it to the original that I have. Sounds nice on its own though. I need to lsiten again. Its not my favorite album though.. soo..

I cant find the pic I had of the White album on white vinyl. But anytime I have seen it the cover has a rectangular sticker on the front with two British flags on it and says

WHITE VINYL ( in red bold type)

": Limited Edition - UK pressing - Normal eclosures .
    ( manufactured in Great Britain)

Suggested retail price : $ 34.98 "

phillyal1 likes this.
  6. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I went to check my old LP collection and I found a UK White Album in with the other colored vinyl pressings. The cover has really yellowed compared to the other White Albums I looked at! I saved the original sticker and the price sticker next to it - $15.99 from Sound Warehouse. Capitol white vinyls sold for $11.99 new.

The other 3 UK colored vinyls I had grouped together were Let It Be (white), Abbey Road (green), and Magical Mystery Tour (yellow). I bought those 3 all at one time from a Pasadena, TX store. I never saw them at Sound Warehouse and I was a frequent visitor. I don't recall how they sounded, and I'm not set up for vinyl now, sorry. I am glad you posted though!

Greenalishi likes this.
  7. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Those stickers were added by the distributors after the records made it over here to America.

slasshdork likes this.
  8. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

Ahh I see. John, have you ever seen one withut those stickers?

9. Well, I'm set up for vinyl. Sell them to me with a reasonable markup!
    I'd love to hear that White Album. PM ME!

Daytripn likes this.
  10. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

It surprises me that they cut lacquers especially for the white pressings, and then never reused them for regular black issues. I'd like to know the story behind that...

ODShowtime likes this.
  11. fmuakkassa

Thanks for the clarification.
    I now see a UK, a French, A US (and I think a German) copy of the White Album on white vinyl on e-bay. From this post, the consensus is that the UK one is the one to get.

Any other than Let it Be and the White album were issued on white vinyl in the UK?

12. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

THE WHITE ALBUM in white vinyl is only special because it's on white vinyl.

Why I like it is that the (UK Apple only) was a fresh recut using the best computer assisted Neumann cutting gear. So, it's a great sounding version. For all I know the same plates were used in other late 1970's UK pressings. If you get the WHITE version you KNOW you are getting the best sounding LP version out there.

Make sense?

13. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

Incredibly the plates were not reused, Steve. I'm with Martin on this. I find it puzzling.

14. Steve Hoffman

Different pressing plant (I guess) that needed a different type of metal part design probably so they had to cut fresh lacquers..

Couldn't be any other reason.

lahtbp likes this.
  15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Oh yeah.

16. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

So different type of record presses need different types of metal parts, Steve? Or am I misunderstanding?

17. Steve Hoffman

Yes.

For example, when RTI sent out THE WHITE STRIPES parts world wide they had to send mothers because the stampers are incompatible from one place to another.

Bingo Bongo and Vinyl Addict like this.
  18. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

Hey Tom, did you happen to get them at Texas Tapes and Records? That's where I got my White Vinyl White Album, and Yellow MMT! :) I grew up in Pasadena, TX I miss TT&R

Larry L likes this.
  19. I finally picked up a super clean UK white vinyl copy tonight at Amoeba, and while I've heard bits and pieces on a friends' system, listening to it on my own system, I can really see (or hear), what all the fuss is about.

20. I bought a new UK black vinyl White Album in 1981 and the bass was all distorted.
    I eventually gave this one away when I bought the German DMM, also on white vinyl.

phillyal1 likes this.
  21. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

I believe that was the name. Are we talking a cavernously big space, on one of the main east-west streets (Spencer Highway, maybe)?

At the time I didn't live close, so I was surprised to find colored vinyl imports at a store in deepest blue collar Pasadena. I think they also had an import 12" single from Bryne/Eno's My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts, Jezabel Spirit (IIRC), that I picked up.

"It goes to show you never can tell."

22. jimcdenco

jimcdenco Forum Resident

Yes, on Spencer Hwy! Incredibly large for Pasadena, or really any other record stores in the Houston Area. Large memorabilia section in the middle as you came in, with all the imported goodies in the glass cases. Always had a good selection of Beatle things. I bought besides the stuff I mention, the Magical Mystery EP, a first issue Wedding Album, a mono White Album, a Wings Belt Buckle, and a few other rarities at the time.All which I still own today. The rest of the records where towards the back of the store, but very massive.

I fell into the New Wave Stuff early on and they carried it all. Devo, Blondie, Ramones, Pretenders, Cars, all their first releases and stayed with these groups for years.

Not sure when it finally closed, I moved from Pasadena around 1986 I lived in that store all thru my High School Years, came back after getting out of the Army. I learned my Beatle History from the store. And they learned how to take my money! :winkgrin:

MitchLT likes this.
  23. Gregory Earl

Gregory Earl Senior Member

Very cool info Steve. This is why we allow you to post on this forum. Heh:winkgrin: .

I do have a copy of this White Album. Bought it at a record convention around 1982 for 25 bucks. I'll be spinning it this week to see what all the fuss is about.

24. fmuakkassa

Here is a picture of my sealed copy.

Beatles White Vinyl picture 1.jpg

Beatles White Vinyl picture sticker.jpg

25. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Johnny, there were also new original sealed copies of this UK white vinyl pressings which originally had round red stickers on them mentioning the colored vinyl.