What's that one holy grail record that's missing from your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by acemachine26, Apr 23, 2017.

1. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I think promo lps are the cheapest route (save boots). Don't know what they're going for now, but that's what I ended up buying.

2. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Interestingly, they said this was a Sears pressing (Conqueror label). Given how bad Paramount pressings were, I wonder if this actually sounded better.

bluesky likes this.
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Haha, nah I didn't mean to be snarky at all. Im genuinely curious of how the original sounds. Sorry, no snarkiness was meant in my last post.
    :cheers:

theshape likes this.
  4. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

I have a couple of Bob Wills 78s pressed on the Conqueror label. I was amazed at how much clearer they sounded compared to the standard Vocalion issues.

peter1 and seed_drill like this.
  5. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

By pure luck a local store got in a mono promo of Nico about a year and half ago in M- condition and I scored it for $20

phillyal1, Gavinyl, Fullbug and 4 others like this.
  6. bizmopeen

bizmopeen Senior Member

Found an original - not a boot! - in a thrift store for $1 a couple of years back. Decent condition, one of my best thrift store finds ever...

acemachine26 likes this.
  7. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Found a VG+ last month.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I would imagine all their stuff is going to be reissued, so I guess I'll wait! Thanks for the info...

9. Twinsfan007

Twinsfan007 Forum Resident

The reissues go for that much! I believe it was classic records that did the reissue 7 or 8 years ago. Hopefully we get another one..or just get lucky enough to find one for less that $200!

10. WhoTapes1

WhoTapes1 Forum Resident

For me, it would be these, for starters:

The Who - 'My Generation' original Japan lp
    The Who - 'I'm A Boy' original Japan lp
    The Who - 'Exciting' original Japan lp
    The Who - 'Sell Out' original Japan lp
    The Who - 'My Generation' Italian Brunswick lp

11. DVEric

DVEric Satirical Intellectual

Celebrity Skin
    Radiation Man 7" vinyl
    (If anyone has one and wants to talk, please get ahold of me).
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sean likes this.
  12. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

Yes, that's one I'd pay a lot for but it's almost impossible to find. I'm surprised there hasn't been a re-issue of this. Perhaps when her next record comes out ….. isn't it about time?

13. tvstrategies

tvstrategies Turtles, all the way down.

I'm about to do that with books. CDs too. Records? Not yet!

14. zebop

zebop Well Known Stranger

Isaac Hayes- Truck Turner (Quad)
    The Four Tops- Main Street People- (Quad)

Cassettes

Al Green-Greatest Hits- This is an edition made by Polygram in the early '80s. It sounded great, I've never seen in since my original copy

Al Green- Let's Stay Together, I'm Still In Love With You, Call Me, Livin' For You, Explorers Your Mind- Motown cassettes, the first pressing. It's amazing that I can't find them all together, not even on eBay.

15. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

One? Pfffffffft.

acemachine26 likes this.
  16. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

None; I got the CD title I was chasing after for a long time, after getting unsold on ebay I am certain to someone I lost to (I've never thought that before or since).

But you know, then I had another one I chased forever, I even created an account on Discogs so *maybe* one day someone would sell one there (after I lost on ebay to my surprise); one day, after looking every day online checking straight for like, 10 months maybe? - I got one. It came a few days later.

There are plenty of CDs I'd love to have, some that I used to, that are out of my price range, but it's mostly upgrading, i.e. I have the CD but not in the quality of that certain pressing; so at least I have it in some form. I give up on the exorbitantly priced ones. Basically there's nothing where I'd obsessively be checking for it. My musical holy grails are gone. Maybe some new ones are yet to come, I don't know...there's still stuff I'd love to have, and a few at the top....but I care less, which is NICE!

17. wwright

wwright Forum Resident

I'm a sound junkie - and other members of the forum have passed on their favorable impressions of that album's sound quality.

Plus my system leans to the analytical side of things, so a good pressing sounds really great, and a poor one sounds abysmal.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  18. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

Beatles - White Album Australian mono

19. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

I just got this for practically nothing this past Sunday. There is a legendary record store near me that is huge with stacks and stacks of old records. You need a ladder to reach the top shelves. It's one of those places that doesn't price any of their records but checks them up on the computer when you buy them and no matter what the condition sells them for the top price. Anyway I looked around for a hour or so and mostly it was a ton of old stuff, a lot of it cool but in not great condition. Right before I left I decided to check the small Metal section, I got on a ladder and checked the top shelf and under T, there was an original Opiate, Undertow, and there shining in all it'a glory a first pressing Aenima in beautiful condition. I took the Undertow and Aenima up to the counter, handed them to the guy and said I know these won't be cheap but could you price them? He starts searching everything, EBay, Popsike, Discogs. He is taking forever and he's quite older. He's never heard of Tool but can't believe the prices he's seeing. I tell him that I left a third Tool record on the shelf (Opiate) and he fetches it. So now I know he's gonna quote me a fortune. Finally he looks up and says sorry but I need to ask a $100 for Aenima and $30 for Undertow. I then remind him that he was having a buy one get one free sale that weekend for Record Store Day. He agrees and says I guess it's $100 for both. I acted cool, handed him a $100 bill and walked out with the holy grail. It seems that all the listings of the fake Aenimas that litter EBay and regularly sell for a $100 must of confused him. Needless to say it was the best Record Store Day weekend I ever had.

20. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Alright, name as many as you like.

21. acemachine26

acemachine26 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Lucky you. I don't know how I feel about the pricing system at that record store. If you're going to price records based on the top price on websites no matter the condition then that defeats the whole purpose of a brick and mortar record store. All that does is encourage more people to buy records online since the price is going to be the same.

ndoheny, phillyal1 and Sean like this.
  22. chrisblower

chrisblower Norfolk n'good

pm me

23. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Dean Martin - Reprise 45 R 20140, "Senza Fine" b/w "Who's Got the Action?"

US, Italian copy, whatever...wanted it for 3 years, only just this year confirmed its existence outside of discographies.

The holiest of holies would be an original Frank Sinatra promo 45, "America the Beautiful" b/w "California." I think there were like 300 of these (given out at a party?) in 1963. Don't think that's a possibility, so I'm not wanting it too much, unlike the Dino 45.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  24. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Does it even exist? Mushroom/Festival hardly put out a 7" single after 1991. The only one from '93 was some Jimmy Barnes single.

Gavinyl likes this.
  25. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

the absolute holy grail for me.....

[​IMG]