Is this "anti-B&W" thing really true?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Joel Cairo, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff Thread Starter

I ask this because increasingly, I find that many seemingly good classic television projects are either on hold or nixed entirely because the source material is black-and-white, and there is a perception in many marketing departments that "people just won't watch/buy anything that isn't in color".

Archival format seems to make no difference... even if the show is stored on videotape (as opposed to film kinescopes), if it's B&W tape, no one seems to want to push the project.

But I don't know if they're referring only to the 18-35 demographic of today, or the perceived audience as a whole (which cuts across a wide spectrum of age groups, when you're talking about 50s and 60 s material)... so, I'm asking-- do the majority of you feel this way? And if so, why?

-Kevin

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

My friends 8 year old daughter always says the same thing when her dad makes him watch the Twilight Zone: "Daddy, do we have to watch the Grey People?"

starduster and mwheelerk like this.
  3. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

I certainly do not mind B&W, especially if the material was originally released that way. In fact, I find the B&W on regular (non-HD) TV has a certain "crispness" that many times color doesn't have.

I can't imagine watching A Hard Day's Night in color, for instance. It came from a time when TV, at least in my home, was B&W.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I think a lot of us on this board are pretty "enlightened" when it comes to issues like this. I've met a lot of people who have dimissed films/TV because they are in B&W. I think part of this is because our society is trained with marketing to truly believe that new is better and old is crap. I used to be really bothered by this but I think I'm more at peace with knowing that some of these close-minded folks are missing out on so many wonderful treasures. Oh, well.....

5. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

I don't mind B&W at all, I loved The Ed Wood Story, etc.

But we know lots seem to like color

So, maybe Ted Turner can colorize them, and make the soundtrack 5.1. :(

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I don't mind if a new 5.1 soundtrack is created for an older film from the original elements as long as the original mono one is included. Last night I watched 'The Man Who Shot liberty Valance' and the 5.1 track was very enjoyable.

7. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

As though the unenlightened public will buy this stuff?

I think that's either faulty reasoning and/or a shoddy justification for not wanting to release anything that won't sell a gazillion copies...

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

I can imagine how kids today would feel if they had to watch B&W like I did all those years ago.

My kids think its a HD Digital Color World.

9. Steve D.

Steve D. Forum Resident

I really enjoy the old b&w shows. I receive a couple of fairly obscure cable networks "Goodlife" and "Trio" both run 50's era b&w shows. I especially like the old Warner Bros, produced shows such as "77 Sunset Strip" "Surfside 6" and "Hawaiian Eye". and the old westerns such as "Cheyenne" "Sugarfoot" "Maverick" ect. Trio will start airing the original b&w "Gunsmoke" eisodes very soon. The highest rated show on TV Land was "Leave it to Beaver." Also high on the list was "Mr. Ed" and "Dick Van Dyke." all b&w shows. And "I love Lucy" still garners high ratings everyday on one channel or another.

10. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

Can you imagine Young Frankenstein in color? Blechh

npc145 likes this.
  11. GT40sc

GT40sc Senior Member

Anti-B&W bias seems to be the norm among "the younger generation" today...or perhaps it just seems more obvious to me, as I can no longer deny my own "middle age."

Somewhat OT, but thinking about "kids today"...I am much more worried by something my 14 year-old neighbor asked me the other day...

"Why would anyone want to own a book?

In his world, books belong to the school or to the library, but have no personal value at all...

Truly a jaw-dropping moment for me.

edit: and on that fine philosophical note...200 posts! Yee Haw!!

12. Ryan

Ryan That would be telling

My stock answer: If you refuse to watch something simply because it is black and white then you are only depriving yourself. Meanwhile, I'll be enjoying films like 'Casablanca,' and 'Raging Bull,' along with groundbreaking TV like 'The Twilight Zone' and 'The Honeymooners.' And my life will be infinitely more rewarding for it.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

I enjoy black and white when it is employed artfully, and I would never colorize an old film or not watch it because it wasn't in colour. But I have to admit I do find TV shows and B-movies that were only shot in black and white because of their low budgets rather boring to look at. The best black and white photography uses a lot of contrasts, but cheap b&w stuff just looks gray and blah.

14. indy mike

indy mike Forum Pest

Hmmmm - my 4 year old was watching a DVD I bought that had some Christmas animated shorts shown by WGN on Garfield Goose many moons ago - Hardrock, Coco and Joe, Suzy Snowflake and Frosty the Snowman. He sat and laughed with me as each one rolled - he never noticed that they were all B&W...

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

(IMO), I believe the appreciation of B&W is lost today, If there isn't a killing, car crash, theft, beating, shooting, raping, sexual, etc...It ain't gonna be watched by most youngsters today...there are exceptions of course...

16. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

What does any of that have to do with colour?

17. Michael

EVERYTHING...did you ever see grey/black blood?...if they are not interested in B&W they won't get past the credits...I'm sure you already knew that though...lesson over;)

18. Michael

yup, 4 years olds have that wonderfulness about them! If he keeps watching B&W it will be a natural thing for him and he'll be all the better for it, just like we are!...ain't we lucky! I can't imagine watching any of my favorite B&W shows colorized! Look what they did with the Stooges!:rolleyes:

19. ferric

ferric Iron Dino In Memoriam

B/W films on big screens in dark cinemas. That's where my love of B/W began. Few young viewers have that experience anymore. Isn't it a pitty.

20. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

Will you guys stop blaming younguns for B&W falling by the wayside? If I could count the hours my roommates (and sometimes I) have spent watching TCM, renting Gary Cooper comedies, etc...
    I would hazard a guess that there are more film buffs now than ever and that people under 30 are a large percentage of them. You can thank DVD (netflix!) and cable for this phenomenon...

21. Michael

Holy Moly! now that's scary...I couldn't imagine not wanting to own a book...the future. :help:

22. poweragemk

poweragemk Old Member

I'm confused. So you're saying if I made a movie with the laundry list of things you mention, and make it in Black and White, the kids WILL like it, or WON'T?

23. Michael

...not everyone is as intelligent, articulate as you...you are a rarity these days and thank God for that! So is my Son...How many youngsters would want to be here at the forum talking about Oldies? Granted, we discuss EVERYTHING here, but it's home base is Oldies or older music...Thank You for being you.:thumbsup:

24. Michael

No, they won't get past the B&W moniker on the outer DVD case...I was referring to COLOR movies... :)

25. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

With the way talk radio and political campaigns are waged, you'd think that everyone prefers black-and-white.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.