What's the best 1/4" 15 IPS stereo mastering reel to reel?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by KaatheSnake, Sep 4, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KaatheSnake

KaatheSnake Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi guys,
    I recently got this NIB TEAC A3340S from 1976 on eBay, and I just had everything checked over on it, and the machine seems to be up to date on capacitors, lubrication, etc. I love the deck, it's a great home stereo and home recording deck that's very versatile in many recording purposes, but I have a few recordings I made in my studio at my aunt and uncle's place. The studio is an attic above a garage (very nice place for a studio, actually,) and has great tone in the room. I like to transfer my tapes to digital, also known as AAD, (analog recording, analog mixing and mastering, digital release/master,) but it would be nice to do what I would call "AAAD," (Analog recording, analog mixing and mastering, analog master, digital release.) What (in ya'll's opinion,) would be the best 10.5" 15 IPS stereo mastering tape deck that uses 1/4" tape and sounds very good?
    Thank you,
    Ryan (Kaa is my nickname)

2. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

There are quite a few valid contenders for “best” - something like a Studer a80, a820, Nagra T… getting the best into a home studio is another matter altogether

3. TarnishedEars

TarnishedEars Forum Resident

The best is going to cost ya a whole lot...

But there are some very good units, such as the Otari 5050BII, which are not insanely expensive.

4. tables_turning

tables_turning In The Groove

Another vote for the Otari as well -- used one for many years; never experienced a problem. Before that, I used a Magnecord 1048 -- a nice machine also, although older and probably not as common as the 5050.

McLover likes this.
  5. My fave is the Ampex ATR-102 - each of the following Studer models also have their supporters - Studer A80RC - A80 MKIV- A800 - A820
    A clean Otari 5050 will get you 90% of the way there soundwise - although the transport is kinda flimsy.

KaatheSnake likes this.
  6. 12" 45rpm

12" 45rpm Forum Resident

I am curious what is a "mastering tape deck"? If your end product is digital, then can't your 4-track TEAC just output directly to your digital recorder?

The FRiNgE and KaatheSnake like this.
  7. McLover

McLover Senior Member

A professional studio machine, built to take heavy high hours use, which is very ruggedly built, offers easy alignment and setup, and very high quality. along with failure is not an option reliability. And also stable, consistently high performance, even used 18 hours a day.

This machine must also be designed to be easily repaired and maintained. Examples, Studers, MCI, Ampex, 3M/Mincom, Scully. AEG-Telefunken, Otari MTR 15, and more. The Teac is prosumer/home demo grade. Though one of the better of it's genre.

A real professional 4 track uses 1/2" tape. These machines weigh 300 pounds in console or nearly so. Ignore specification comparisons from the consumer world (several companies were very optimistic). Professional specifications are the bare minimum performance guaranteed as warranty.

Also, note that mastering studio decks usually don't have 4 track playback heads. They don't need to, that's a consumer format. 15 IPS/30 IPS standard speeds in use in professional studios. 1/2 track Stereo, one direction using NAB or IEC equalizations the standard, and some 1/2" machines which are also two channel, one direction.

For our original poster, the best somewhat affordable two channel 15 IPS machine which is not a 200 pound plus behemoth in console, would be the Otari MX 5050 B II, or get a Technics RS 1500 series 1/2 track. Also, the ReVox PR 99 machines are options. I own and use the Otari MX 5050 B II. Mine has been a solid, reliable tape machine.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  8. tiller

tiller Forum Resident

You're looking for something for home use? The Studer A80 (which I used to use in the studio) is quite renowned, for good reason, but it is also massive. The A810 on the other hand is also an excellent deck which would be better suited to home use. Happy hunting!

9. violarules

violarules Senior Member

A Tascam 42 or 52 sounds good and might be somewhat affordable.

10. TarnishedEars

While the Otari is certainly not the equal of any of those machines, it is still a very high-quality workhorse which is probably one of the most reliable machines ever made. So to call it flimsy, is underserved IMO. I would describe its transport as being relatively simplistic and primitive by comparison, but certainly not "flimsy".

Shak Cohen, McLover and KaatheSnake like this.
  11. TarnishedEars

Awesome machines, if you can find one. But their prices have been creeping up into Studer territory recently.

12. KaatheSnake

Thanks for the info! I'm just looking for a home stereo deck that is 2 channel. Maybe a Revox B77 or an Otari 5050 would do great. A lot of people in the comments go with the Otari.

The FRiNgE likes this.
  13. KaatheSnake

I'll have to check out the A810, That one may be the winner.

tiller likes this.
  14. 360-12

360-12 Forum Resident

I've used a Tascam 32 for years. Available on eBay for $700+.

bluemooze and KaatheSnake like this.
  15. KaatheSnake

I'm going with the Studer A810. It's a great deck,well worth the extra buck, and it kicks butt with sound quality.

16. KaatheSnake

Cool. I'm getting a Studer A810.

Tim S likes this.
  17. KaatheSnake

A mastering tape deck, from what I understand, is a tape deck used for mixing and mastering down a multitrack tape to a stereo "master" as they are called. I'm going with the Studer A810, it's worth the extra buck.

18. KaatheSnake

I'm getting me the Studer A810. It's worth the extra buck.

19. KaatheSnake

I'm getting a Studer A810. Great bang for the buck, and I won't regret spending it in the future!

20. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I'd go Otari MX 5050 B II, lots of them out there, usually reliable, well built, very good sounding machines. And the B II models also have 1/4 track playback heads, switchable so you can also play 1/4 track tapes as well. I love my Otari, for me one of the best machines which is not 200 pounds or more in console. They're very durable, reliable machines with care, a radio station favorite.

ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  21. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Flimsy, very much NOT! An Otari lasts in environments which are the roughest, highest hour, with only a head cleaning a shift. As in Broadcast work. And with little to no issues outside normal wear and tear items. As in FM broadcast automation in the days of tape based systems.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Not an easy machine to repair, or to get repaired. Especially if you don't live in a record industry town. The computerized alignment features are also very finicky with age, parts are among the most expensive. And this machine is among the most expensive analog machines, priced very high. And you don't want one unless it's 100% working correctly. I'd recommend sticking with an Otari for your needs. Unless you can handle parts prices which are severely high. The Studer A 810 1/2 track cost as much when new as an average brand new mid size car did that year. The Otari MX 5050 B II by comparison was $3600 new in 1988. As was a new ReVox B 77 the same year.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    ElevatorSkyMovie likes this.
  23. OK - flimsy is too strong a criticism - but speaking as an owner of 2 Otari 5050s, a Nagra III, an ATR 102 and a Studer MK80IV - the 5050 definitely has the "least robust" transport... the motors can be sluggish esp. on my 1/2" 5050. Way more powerful motors on the Studer and Ampex - also the accuracy of the servo controlled ATR vs. the gentleness of the Studer A80's all rolling tape path are both far superior to the 5050. I had an Otari MTR-12 which has a wonderfully smooth transport - but it didn't sound very good. I also had an MTR-20 which had a great transport and sounded good - but it was rare (parts very hard to find) and unreliable - sold it as a parts machine. The 5050 sounds shockingly good for the money and size it takes up...

24. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Also bear in mind the Studer, the Nagra, and the Ampex ATR cost many times more money new, and also she needs a machine she can get repaired in her area. Very critical.

KaatheSnake likes this.
  25. KaatheSnake

Also, I'm a guy. I think I can handle a Studer. I have a lot of friends down in Montgomery, Alabama who work on these things. A new car costs about $100,000.00. The Studer won't even put a dent in that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.