What's the best carbon fibre brush to get?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Alan2, Aug 2, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

There seem to be so many, looking @ amazon. I'v e heard stories of some of them actually marking your records. I don't want anything that does this or is impractical to use.

Thanks guys and guyesses.

2. missan

missan Forum Resident

Personally I´m very reluctant to use these types brushes. I found when examining residues from the grooves, after using carbon fiber brushes, that it was very much carbon fibers. So I do not use them any longer, but that is just me.

Luckydog likes this.
  3. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

I have had zero problems with any fibers shedding. I use the Pro-Ject brush. The AudioQuest one on Amazon looks exactly the same as mine. Get that one.

Alan2 likes this.
  4. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

No substitute for a clean record. I use a carbon fiber brush right before playing a record to remove any dust that may be on the record
    surface, so it will not collect on the stylus. If your records are not really clean, I would not waste the time and cost of a brush.

5. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Agree.

I have the Audioquest and it works fine but as others mentioned, not for cleaning but for dust brushing prior to each play, after the record has been cleaned previously, using your preferred method. And for sure, this model seems to be identical across multiple brandings.

Robert C likes this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I use the Audioquest brush currently and really like it. It is available under quite a few brandings. And can be had as cheap as around $10. I have several of them and each turntable has one. I use them religiously. They are superb for pre-play dusting and static control.

Alan2 and c-eling like this.
  7. audioguy3107

audioguy3107 Forum Resident

Audioquest for me as well, works fine.
    [​IMG]

8. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Me too.

Alan2 likes this.
  9. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Clearaudio does the job.

10. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

LeeS, Paully, Alan2 and 2 others like this.
  11. vinylman

vinylman Senior Member

sound chaser likes this.
  12. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

I got the cheap one from Acc-Sees: http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OAD18E. I've never had a problem with it shedding fibres. It does a fine job of preparing the (cleaned!) record just before touch down ;)

13. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

I use them both, ie the audioquest type above (I have a non branded version of the same - never any evidence of shedding fibres) and the Hunt EdA

14. missan

missan Forum Resident

I can only say that after I stopped using brushes, some years ago, I have no problems with dust on the records and also have cleaner grooves. It´s very much a non issue nowadays.

Luckydog likes this.
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Actually I find its remarkable how much dust an AQ brush can gather from a record that's nominally clean and which has even had much loose stuff blown off it with compressed air, dust that's not even really visible until enough of it is gathered together by the brush, but maybe I live in a particularly dusty environment.

16. Doug G.

Doug G. Forum Resident

Of course, the fact remains that carbon fibers are harder than vinyl records and they WILL scratch the vinyl. I and many others have seen it. It is like a fine haze on the record surface when in a lighted environment.

The audibility is debatable but I won't use them.

Doug

17. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I also use the Hunt brush. It is good when you have surface dust on your LPs. It has no problems shedding bristles.

Scott

Alan2 likes this.
  18. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Thinking about it though I never use the felt mat between the brushes; it creates too much drag on my TT. I typically get the platter going then use the "back" brush holding it at an angle to the LP surface, let it go around a few times, then draw it outward across the LP. Use the metal holder to "brush" accumulated dust off the carbon fiber, then flip it around and do the same thing with the other brush. Sounds more complicated than it is; maybe takes all of 20 seconds.

19. oregonalex

oregonalex Forum Resident

I suggest that before using any carbon brush, take a clean sheet of white paper and run the brush over it several times. Then examine the paper with a magnifying glass. If you find black fragments, then you'll know. Repeat this test occasionally as the brush can get compromised over time.

That said, I have stopped using carbon brushes. The ones I bought always shed fragments. Maybe I was just unlucky.

I now use this brush:

http://www.needledoctor.com/AcousTech-Big-Brush

It is less awkward to hold than the carbons and I think I don't run as much risk scratching the record with the brush frame. It exists in two forms, one has a grounding cable. I bough the one without the cable and easily added one myself that is kept plugged into a ground socket in my power strip.

20. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Above replies much appreciated.

Okay, rather than begin a new thread, what's the best wet cleaning device tha t doesn't cost a fortune, and that won't put my lovely (but unclean) records at risk?

21. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

The consensus seems to be the Spin Clean, see review HERE

Alan2 likes this.
  22. dconsmack

dconsmack Senior Member

Yes. Spin Clean for wash and dry. However, the vacuum method is the best and the KAB USA EV-1 is $169. All you need is your own vacuum cleaner. http://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/

I recommend MoFi cleaning brushes because they're rubber and won't scratch your record if you drop it on your record while cleaning.

LeeS, procco23, Alan2 and 1 other person like this.
  23. Raider4life

Raider4life Forum Resident

Audioquest for me also...I have used one for years. I purchased a Hunt brush because I read good revews of it...I didn't like it but that just my experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.