What's the best Paul McCartney album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by EchoStars24, Jan 1, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

I think Heart of The Country and could have been a good and fun choice.

angelees likes this.
  2. schnitzerphilip

schnitzerphilip "Modern Dad" Unlocked Award

People kill me for this, but using the Deluxe Edition of RAM, take "Another Day" and sequence it between "Ram On" and "Dear Boy" and then listen to the complete album.

Pity that it was the lead single as it's that one missing great track that keeps RAM from being not only Paul's best LP but the best LP from any Beatle in their post-Beatle era.

3. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

Another Day was actually a regular setlist item on the 93 tour...

4. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

I go back and forth on whether Ram or Band on the Run is his best - both are great, but I'm not sure they're better than All Things Must Pass for instance. Plastic Ono Band and Imagine should be in the discussion as well.

5. Price.pittsburgh

Only your 2nd fav, in that case RAM Rules! Lol.
    I will admit my disdain for RAM no longer exists.
    I use to really dislike it.
    I do enjoy it much more than I used to and it is far better than Wildlife, and although I like the high points of "McCartney" better, RAM is more of an album that that.
    I think maybe (and don't get me wrong because I loved Linda as a person) that her vocals on RAM are really offsetting and just off.
    Once she started harmonizing with Denny she sounded better.
    But you and I will certainly not see eye to eye on the BOTR dropoff thing.
    I love the beautiful Mamunia and Beatles-esque No Words, and although I don't think Picasso is great I think it blends well as a sort of novelty and it's little reprise if the hey ho from Vandebilt makes it feel more album-like.
    I do thing Bluebird is overrated but I do like it.
    I also was first familiar with the U.S. version of BOTR so it had a lot of weight added by having Helen Wheels on it.

angelees and schnitzerphilip like this.
  6. Price.pittsburgh

I saw him in Tampa 93 and have the Paul is Live cd and it's not on there nor did he do it in Tampa that night.
    But regardless its not technically a RAM track.

7. Price.pittsburgh

I would still go POB and BOTR

8. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

You sure about that? You don’t mean 1990? Doesn’t look like he played there in 93:
    The New World Tour - Wikipedia
    I’m well aware it wasn’t on Ram, just correcting the error about it not being performed until the 2000s...

Paul is Live was incomplete. Other songs like Fixing A Hole were on the 93 setlist but also not on the live album.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    Price.pittsburgh likes this.
  9. schnitzerphilip

Ha ha ha, well done. Assuming you're a Penguins and Steelers fan, just can never be #1, sorry.

Agreed on the Linda vocals (respect to her as a person, wish she were still with us) as it's the one thing that still off-putting in spots on the RAM LP. If Paul had merely hired professional backup singers that could emulate the Abbey Road type harmonies he was attempting it wouldn't be so jarring, especially that (I don't know what to call it) on "Long Haired Lady".

Blasphemy! Next thing you'll tell us is that you listen to "Paperback Writer" on Revolver.

10. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

I have to go with new

11. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah my bad my original post was meant to say it took an actual RAM song til well into the 2000s and the session non album AD til the 90s.
    Yeah my memory is probably skewed by the Paul is Live cd.

mrjinks likes this.
  12. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah Both Steelers and Pens.
    Wrong forum but hope we stay healthy with the bye week.

Well Paperback Writer was never placed on Revolver whereas Helen Wheels was originally a U.S. version track.
    If you're a Jersey boy USA you should know that.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    schnitzerphilip likes this.
  13. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

Top 5. Not in any order

Band On The Run
    Venus And Mars
    RAM
    Flaming Pie
    McCartney

alexpop likes this.
  14. Col

Col Forum Resident

When an artist/band has a limited output or finite talent,I think choosing a best isn't too difficult.think there are only a handful of geniuses in popular music and therefore all their work has interest,merit and quality.Mccartney is one of those-so I can't decide on a best.I will vote for New because it is his latest and therefore the one I am still excited about.

tages likes this.
  15. schnitzerphilip

As long as someone takes down the Patriots I’m good, might as well be the Steelers.

Rangers/Pens not sure, one of us might not make it.

16. Price.pittsburgh

Yeah don't wanna have these off topic comments get the staff on us but I've been shady bout the NFL since that SB last year.
    No disrespect to the greatness of Tom n Bill or the Pats who are great but that game seemed fake.
    The only way I'll buy it is if Ben wins it this year lol.
    PM me if ya wanna talk sports

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Gerry Rafferty /Steelers Wheel was asked if he was influenced by Paul McCartney( as his voice showed some similarity ) apparently he preferred The Chieftains.

18. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

McCartney has always been my favorite. I think at the time of release the unpolished sense of this album appealed to me.

19. cadesdad

cadesdad Forum Resident

Tough one. I love Band on the Run, of course, but I also love Tug of War and Chaos & Creation in the Backyard. Can I say those are my favorite Macca albums from different decades? (Run Devil Run is pretty sweet too.)

20. Mike Reynolds

Mike Reynolds Forum Resident

It was between Band on the Run and Venus and Mars, but I went with Band on the Run. It was close though, seven songs to six.

21. DirkMcQ

DirkMcQ Forum Resident

My two favorite McCartney albums are Unplugged and Wings Over America. I voted for Choba since those weren't listed.

22. Bruce M.

Bruce M. Forum Resident

"Mamunia" is better than nearly anything on Ram.

23. sbeaupre

sbeaupre Everything must go

Count me in the small but unbowed group that appreciates Linda’s vocals. I like how she sounds singing with Paul, off or flat as it may be. In my estimation, Ram is a better album because she’s on it, and that extends to Wild Life, another personal favorite.

24. Price.pittsburgh

I like her singing with Laine behind Paul on other albums.
    Denny seems to balance her out some.

25. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Best ? sales wise Band On The Run I would imagine.
    Personal favourite is RAM which doesn't seem to date, maybe why it's so relevant today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.