What's the best sounding Beatles For Sale album to get on vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mooseman, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have the 1995 limited edition in mono and a Capitol original pressing in mono. The Capitol pressing sounds a little better then 1995 edition. How about the stereo editions, I have the 2009 stereo remaster on cd which sounds very good to me, how does the vinyl sound?

Dan The Man1 and DK Pete like this.
  2. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

The 2012 stereo BFS sounds superb as does the 2014 mono. I have a few of the 1995 pressings...they're a bit too bright in some places. The 2012/2014's are perfect. Nice balance of "bright" and "deep". BFS in fact, is one of the very best sounding overall of these newer pressings.

RogerE, hi_watt and mooseman like this.
  3. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

They all DIGITAL anyway, not the way it was released originally in 1964. For the best sounding LP any pre 1975 UK copy will do, as soon as it has -1/-1 matrix numbers.

4. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

"Digital" doesn't = "bad". An vinyl album that's from a digitally mastered source will still have it's own unique aural qualities apart from a CD or download. If it sounds good, it sounds good. What's the difference?

5. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

You are correct. And they sound fantastic

RogerE, Dan The Man1 and RobNeil like this.
  6. McLover

McLover Senior Member

In Stereo, get you a 1971-1982 UK Parlophone pressing. Hard to do better, htm in deadwax is a nice indicator of quality. The later DMM UK is also nice.

7. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

The 2014 Beatles' Mono recordings are not DIGITAL.

8. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Agreed, I have one of these Harry T Moss cuts and it sounds fantastic.

9. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Yes, AAA and so nicely done, they are hard to beat.

Pancat and bluejimbop like this.
  10. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

There are some people you’ll never convince, no matter hard you try. The 2012 reissue sounds pretty good.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  11. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

It does for me because in this case it's DIFFERENT from the way it was released originally - that is enough.
    And I don't care how good or bad "different" release sounds. I guess I'm one of these "some people that you never convince".

DK Pete and Marc Perman like this.
  12. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

I was talking about stereo version.

13. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

There are lots of good versions, but the first -1/-1 cut is still a little better IMO. Could be also found on some foreign pressings, Scandinavian or Dutch for example or Israeli, though all these exotic pressings much more rare than UK.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
    Cassius and mooseman like this.
  14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks to all, I picked up a 2012 stereo version, it does sound much better then my 1995 mono edition. I might get a few other titles from the 2012 batch. I have all the mono's from Rubber Soul up to the mono masters triple album, plus the white album.
    My other titles in the 1995 pressings do sound good, stereo and mono of Meet the Beatles - mono and Hard Day's Night - mono, Help is in stereo. I wonder why the Beatles For Sale sounded so bad in mono. I'm going to look for a mono version from the 2014 pressings.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Get the 2014 mono vinyl too. All analog. It's fantastic.

bluejimbop, DK Pete and mooseman like this.
  16. Bruce Burgess

Bruce Burgess Senior Member

The 2012 stereo LP and the 2014 mono LP are my two favorites. I can't decide which one I like better.

mooseman likes this.
  17. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The question is “What’s the best sounding Beatles For Sale to get on vinyl?”

The answer is a -1/-1 UK cut stereo copy. Period. I’ve got a whole bunch of different ones. The mono mix is meh and other stereo pressings range from “not good” to “pretty good but missing the tubey magic of the -1/-1.”

Ziggy71, blutiga, mooseman and 3 others like this.
  18. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

If not for the pressing issues with the Rainbo copies (and truth be told, the U.K. pressings were far from perfect, although much better), the 2012's would have a far better reputation than they do. Not all of them are the "definitive" best in terms of sound, but in my opinion, some of them come very close.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

...so simply because it sounds different from the way you originally knew it, it's "bad"?? If I may add...when it comes to a remaster (digital or otherwise) or even a remix, one of the first things to consider is, if a band -at the time they recorded an album, originally-was offered to hear a "future" version of what their album could sound like in 40 or 50 years , in many cases, they themselves choose the future version which they couldn't (sonically) achieve due to technical limitations of of their present time (I hope that made sense).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    Dan The Man1, mooseman and MitchLT like this.
  20. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I have a Swedish pressing with -2/-3 matrix numbers which sounds very nice. The copy in my blue box from the mid eighties is okay. Nothing to write home about.

The -1/-1 is the best.

mooseman likes this.
  21. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

My favorites are needledrops. The blue box remaster and Japanese red wax mono. Both are excellent and miles better than any other I’ve heard. Including my bc13 and 2014 pressings respectfully.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Needledrops from what source? Were they sweetened or just flat needledrops?

23. Daven23

Daven23 Forum Resident

1970s UK Blue Box is my go to pressing. Just one mans opinion

McLover likes this.
  24. Dan The Man1

Dan The Man1 Never Could Be Any Other Way

Both Dr. Ebbetts. Both flat l believe.

Crimson Witch likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

So a flat needledrop CD of the BC13 LP sounds better than...the BC13 LP? :confused:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    Cronverc likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.