What’s The Cheapest LP You’ve Bought That You Love ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Slack Babbath, Jul 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slack Babbath

Slack Babbath Hit The North... Thread Starter

[​IMG] Bought this from a boot fair for UK£1. Great Condition as well.

Vinyl Dynamite .

2. fogalu

fogalu There is only one Beethoven

"McGough and McGear" bought for 50 cents about 20 years ago.

A totally weird album mixing funny poetry and songs - and it even has Jimi Hendrix and a bit of Paul McCartney! (I'm not sure but I think Paul may have produced this album or parts of it.)
    I play it every now and again and have always found it entertaining.

Mike McGear (McCartney) was of course Paul's brother and he and Roger McGough had a couple of big hits in the sixties as "The Scaffold".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
  3. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

I have so many records that I’ve bought for a buck. My near mint Alive on Arrival by Steve Forbert on Nemperor is a sonic wonder, one of my demo records...so let’s go with that!

4. DigitalDave74

DigitalDave74 Forum Resident

A copy of Moving Pictures by Rush on LP from Johnny Go's House of Music here in Columbus, OH for 17¢ because the owner couldn't stand Rush!

5. John Porcellino

John Porcellino Forum Resident

In the early nineties, before used vinyl was cool, I used to routinely buy copies of Buckingham-Nicks for $2.50 or less to give as gifts.

6. slop101

slop101 Guitar Geek

Allman Bros. "Beginnings", which is a double-LP set of their first two albums, for $3, and in pretty good condition considering the LP is over 40 years old.

Vic_1957, Sear and Slack Babbath like this.
  7. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

I recently bought an INCREDIBLE sounding US copy of I Robot by the Alan Parsons Project for $1.

This usually goes for $3-6 in the used bins and I never pass up a clean copy. Audio bliss for pennies.

Same for Synchronicity and Ghost in the Machine.

c-eling likes this.
  8. Victor/Victrola

Victor/Victrola Makng shure its write

Badfinger - Straight Up. I purchased it at K-Mart during a New Year's Day sale. They put all their cut-outs on sale 4 for $1. I purchased about 150 albums that day, it filled one of their shopping carts! Straight Up was one of the best picks, and continues to be a favorite album today.

9. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I honestly can't remember. I was a college student in the late '80s when record stores were selling of vinyl inventory I bought a bunch of records for huge discounts. The way it happened, for those that don't remember was odd. CDs were sold in long boxes and Earth Day was becoming a movement. Well, the record industry was under pressure to do away with long boxes, since they were ripped apart then thrown away immediately. So new bins were being brought in display CDs only packaged in jewel boxes by the early 90s. So there wasn't going to be bins to even display 12" records. They didn't even bother to cut them out. By the end of the sales, records were lined along the floor. I do remember buying a MoFi of Sgt Peppers for something like $7. Mind you I never bought an audiophile mastered records because I really couldn't afford them. I bought that one because they didn't have Abbey Road. But I bought about 20 records over a months time, all were dirt cheap. A lot of them were were a dollar. These were are brand new records.

dbsea and LeBon Bush like this.
  10. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

An original U.S. Jethro Tull Benefit for $2.
    Plays almost perfectly.

11. AlmostHeavenWV

AlmostHeavenWV The poster formerly known as AlmostHeavenWI

'The Faust Tapes' - the original retail price for the LP in 1973 was 49p (65 cents), then the cost of a single.

svet_so likes this.
  12. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Back before cd i bought most of my records second hand and had a good eye for vinyl quality. Most of them were $1-$2

Times have changed

13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Probably the $2 NZ 1973 pressing of
    Goats Head Soup.

Purchased on holiday in Perth December 1986.

Slack Babbath likes this.
  14. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

Not an LP but I bought Canadian band Sully's CD called I Have Much to Report on Amazon for 1 penny plus shipping. It is an amazing record, comparable to Nirvana at their peak.

D.B. likes this.
  15. FFF

FFF Forum Resident

A local record store had bargain bin records on sale 10 for a $1 so I picked a many many for .10. The owner had to vacate his "warehouse" store of 200,000 LP's so he was unloading a lot of great records.

A few that I remember. Doobie Brothers, Santana, Manfred Mann, Billy Joel, Alan Parsons, Genesis, Moody Blues, Bee Gees, etc.....but my favorite is Aerosmith Bootleg for $1.

16. Thom01

Thom01 Forum Resident

The Stone Roses' Second Coming double LP, new for £2.99 in 1998, and there was a whole pile of them.

Record shops couldn't get rid of vinyl records quick enough back then.
    *sigh*

17. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

I bought dozens of records as cut outs for less than a dollar in the 1970’s — both NY Dolls, Westbound Funkadelics, Brain Capers, Sabotage, Slade Alive, Tanx, Bloodrock Live, The Sweet Featuring Little Willy, All Day Music, Curtis — and that doesn’t include used.

18. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

"Back Door"
    Around 1980 or so, I got the S/T debut LP of the British jazz-rock trio for 25 cents at the local anarchist bookstore. The vinyl was in NM condition; however, the gatefold cover had serious water damage, sustained during a flood in the store's basement retail space. (This flood was apparently the result of some internecine vandalism among members of the collective!)

Chris Connor "Cocktails & Dusk"
    Around the same time, I got a wonderful late 70s reissue of the 1955 This Is Chris album for just 99 cents! Still a favorite.

19. Margrave

Margrave I'll Give It 5

A 100% mint condition copy of this LP.
    [​IMG]
    One of the best SQ albums ever made.
    I paid £1.00 for it .

20. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

I got my copy for free as the record store couldn't sell it.
    Agreed, it sounds very nice. And the price was right!

21. Not an LP but Wax Trax in Chicago used to have a thing where they would wrap 3 singles in shrink wrap (that probably weren't selling) and you could buy them for a dollar.
    "3 Singles For A Buck" how could you go wrong? Well more often than not, I liked the songs. I got The Dwarves "Astro Boy" this way and I am a fan to this day and just saw them live a few weeks ago.

c-eling and krisjay like this.
  22. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Got this (2 vinyls) for 20p from a car boot a couple years ago, played the whole thing at least once a day ever since :edthumbs:

[​IMG]

23. Tone52

Tone52 New Member

I got a NM copy of JADE WARRIOR'S "Autumn Dream" for $1.00 at a yard sale. WOW what a cool LP!!! I never heard their music before. Love it!!

24. The Lone Cadaver

The Lone Cadaver Bass & Keys Cadaver

79 cents in the Woolworths cutout bin in 1970.
    [​IMG]

25. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

"Dance Album of Carl Perkins" for $3.00.

- Kevin

Fender Relic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.