What's the deal with SACD II? Is it for real?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fjhuerta, Jul 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fjhuerta

fjhuerta New Member Thread Starter

Hi all,

I have seen a couple of posts in here (and references to articles, which I can no longer find) about something called SACD II.

All the references mention Sony denying the rumours, too.

If I remember correctly, somebody went as far as to say SACD II would use an 11.X MHz sampling frequency.

All I have heard at this point are rumours. But they are starting to worry me. I just bought last weekend another SACD player, for stereo listening only. Should I take it back? Exchange it for a DVD-A and wait for SACD to settle? Is SACD II for real?

Thanks for any help!

2. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Sony sez it's only a rumour. Real proof dictates the same.

3. Mick Jones

Mick Jones Senior Member

I've no idea if these SACD II rumours have anything to them, but from the bit I could be bothered to read there would seem to be little there to actually effect anyones current purchasing strategy, especially yours.

The rumours have nothing happening before 2007 (at least), so if you want to listen to the best hi-rez digital stereo/mono in the mean time SACD is still the way to go.

The addition of a video component to SACD was always in the spec. but unimplemented, which is exactly the same as multi-channel was when SACD was launched.

While some people may have said that the eventual launch of multi-channel disks and players made the original stereo only machines obsolete, I always thought that this was rubbish. The stereo players simply kept playing the stereo (or mono) programme and totally ignored the multi-channel area on the disk. If video is added then the situation is that the stereo will still play but there will be multi-channel and video areas to be ignored on the disk.

The suggestion that any basic changes to the DSD format on the disks will leave older players unable to play newer disks, or that older disks will be unplayable on newer players would seem most unlikely. Backwards compatibility would have to be built in to any change, as any other course would be commercial suicide! After all, every SACD player has had backwards compatibility with those ancient redbook standard disks.

4. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Good points, Mick!

Your post is probably the first piece of good news that I've heard today.... thanks.

5. fjhuerta

Mick, thanks for your input!

It seems another thread was started on the Music Corner forum. I don't know whether this one should continue, since both threads are dealing with the same issue...

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18707

SACD II: better copy protection schemes, video content.

But where's the improved sound quality?!?

6. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

What Mick says makes total sense. In the specs for SACD (I), the video/extra data section is on the outside rim of the disc. I'm sure they designed early and current players to ignore this section just like older players don't read the MCH contents.

7. fjhuerta

Sam, I hope you are right. I wanted to buy a DVD-A player, but lack of software I like made me decide on getting a SACD for stereo-only listening. I'd hate to see Sony come up with something better anytime soon. :D

8. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I don't think that's the point. They are trying to insert "added value" into their product so it competes directly with DVD-A.

9. Cliff

Cliff Magic Carpet Man

Exactly why it is a good thing, IMO. It should really be named SACD-V :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.