What's the difference between 150gram, 180gram & 200gram vinyl?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sound Dust, Aug 8, 2006.

1. Sound Dust

Sound Dust New Member

Hello all,

Sorry if this question has been asked a million times but with the search facilites down I'm unable to find any answers.

Anyway, what's the difference between 150gram, 180gram & 200gram vinyl?

Is it simply the thicker vinyl is less likely to warp or are there sonic benifits?

Hope someone has some answers, as its always been a mystery to me.

Thanks

John
  2. ezio gallino

ezio gallino New Member

Easy to answer : supposing that vinyl is the same you are talking about the weight of record.
    More vinyl, more cost? Sure.
    But more vinyl does not mean mandatory better sound: sure you can deal with deeper tracks so dynamics might improve, but sound quality is based on a lot of extra factors... so when you deal with heavy vinyl there's one thing for certain: you pay it more.
    Personally speaking I thing that 200 grams are an exageration , better stay on 150-180....:righton:
  3. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Ask some of Classic Records customers if the 200 gram LP's are less likely to warp. :laugh:

Actually I've purchesed a few that are fine but others will tell you different.

From what I've heard after 140 grams, the pressing of vinyl becomes trickier.
  4. Kent Teffeteller

Kent Teffeteller New Member

Hi,

It is the weight. I think 140g should be standard weight. Beyond that, they are more likely to have pressing problems and warpage. Also, VTA is fouled up for folks with non-adjustable arms.
  5. seed_drill

seed_drill Forum Resident

Anyone else have the Screaming Lord Such compilation on 220 gm vinyl? It's almost as thick as an Edison diamond disc. And no, it doesn't aid the sound, though, surprisingly, its not warped.
  6. Steve G

Steve G Well-Known Member

30 grams and 20 grams
  7. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

I thought it had something to do with the grooves "bouncing back" much faster and better after playing it. Hence extending the life of the vinyl and decreasing chances of groove damage.
  8. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

:laugh:
  9. Sound Dust

Sound Dust New Member

Still no definative answer. So it sounds like it's just thicker and thats it?
  10. bruckner1

bruckner1 New Member

My only experience with 180g vinyl is the Sundazed mono Dylan LPs. If you ask me, they should have also recreated the heavier jackets that the original mono LPs came in. Those flimsy sleeves seem a little ridiculous with such a heavy record inside.
  11. Frumaster

Frumaster New Member

Classic Records has great sleeves/packaging. I have noticed a difference in sound between their 140g and 200g.
  12. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brotherâ„¢

I find that 180 gram albums are just fine. I can't for the life of me understand what the 20 gram difference is going to do for me with the 200 gram pressing of a title.
  13. Sound Dust

Sound Dust New Member

To me yes the 180g & 200g feels fantastic, nice and weighty and solid, however I'm not sure if they sound any better. I've got some older 80's recordings on 150g and they sound fantastic.
  14. Well, sir, with the Classic 200g it is not supposed to be the weight that makes the difference. It is the fact that the LP is flat all the way across its playing surface. Most LP's are thicker on the outer edge, thinner in the middle, and thicker again in the label area. Whether it's vacuum held, clamped down or just sitting there on the platter, a normal LP is gonna have slight valley that the needle has to traverse as it goes from the beginning of an LP to the end. On a Classic 200g LP, the record playing surface is flat all the way across (if it is not dished, that is, which vacuum or clamp should do away with) and so the azimuth of the stylus should remain consistant throughout the side, which, in theory, should help stabilize the imaging/soundstaging. I'm just sayin' is all.

P.S. Stacker turntable reasons aside, I heard Stan Ricker say the reason the thin in the middle LP stayed the standard was that it used less vinyl, therefor it cost less to manufacture. IIRC, of course.

P.S. P.S. I'll be glad when the spell check is available again. So, is it consistent or consistant?:help:
  15. To echo Sound Dust's sentiments, I love the feel of a heavy LP. My mom's Meet the Beatles always seemed sturdy to me, and I was glad when the audiophile labels got away from the flimsy LP. Can I hear the difference? Probably not. Not now anyway. When Classic offers cheaper 150's, however, I can immediately feel the difference. 150g ain't bad. :)
  16. Sound Dust

Sound Dust New Member

Thanks for all the replies :) Vinyl is a real passion for me and I can't seem to find enough about it!

The reason I started this post is that I find it amazing that there is this vinyl revival thing going on (thank god) and in all the record stores & online record stores the 180g & 200g is flagged as something special but no reason as to why is given.

Why the mystery, record companies should make this common knowledge and the word spread. It can only help the format in the long run.
  17. Brian J

Brian J Well-Known Member

The energy of the needle wigglin' in the groove has to go somewhere. It either travels up the cantilever and down the trail to our loudspeakers. Some of it is absorbed by the LP itself and perhaps through the turntable.
    This is makes me think, 200gm records are thought of, in an audiophile sense. Is it not why we have 20lb platters? Couple a 200gm LP to a 20lb platter with a clamp and one would think that it would increase the info/music going to our ears?

Brian
  18. Sound Dust

Sound Dust New Member

Still amazed this is not common knowledge. And all guesswork.
  19. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

It's the former.:)
  20. lobo

lobo Well-Known Member

The weight, man, the weight!
  21. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Holding Pattern

The difference? Fifty grams between 150 and 200...:D

:ed:
  22. t3hSheepdog

t3hSheepdog Forum Artist

my physics teacher would tear you apart
    weight = mass x force of gravity
    weight is measured in Newtons
    mass is measured in grams
    :)

What's the difference between 150gram, 180gram & 200gram vinyl?
    my personal answer: the price :D
  23. Heavy vinyl is sturdier, less likely to warp, that's obvious.

I'd say it also allows for better groove pressing, hence more stable sound reproduction.
    I don't really know whether it improves dynamics etc.

However, I do know that the playing time pressed on one side of vinyl matters. Check out these old budget lp's with 30 minutes pressed on one side... No bass left!
    Remember why dance tracks are pressed on 12" vinyl; the bass really improves.
    Then again, on lots of older music, that bass really isn't that heavy. So, with less than 20 minutes pressed on one side of clean good vinyl (120 or 140 gram), you're probably just fine.

But if it was only for sound quality, I'd rather have longer lp's cut up in 4 sides than ridiculous 200 gram lp's.
  24. cosmosis

cosmosis New Member

Luxury. Just like those gorgeous gold CDs. Just my opinion :)