What's the ideal number of LPs to have in a collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Harvest Your Thoughts, Jun 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Obviously no right answer. But I bet I'm like most people...what I want to hear right now is entirely dependant upon my mood. I am very lucky in that I run my business from home, and have two nice vinyl rigs in both work areas. I would say I average ten albums a day. So my answer is this: enough that no matter your mood, there is plenty to play without having to repeat anything just because you run out of titles of that particular genre. I am guessing I have around 3000 vinyls. Just kidding....LP's. And I always seem to find more every time I go to the music store.

Revolver and The Trinity like this.
  2. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Aftermath likes this.
  3. rockledge

rockledge Forum Resident

None.
    The ideal collection would have everything on CD.
    Sadly, not everything is available on CD.

starduster and ukrules like this.
  4. AlanDistro

AlanDistro Forum Resident

I'm at 1,753 albums currently (on CD). I have room for 2,100 on the shelves, so after that I'll probably institute a one-in/one-out policy. I have almost everything I want from the past, so the next 350 albums will be new discoveries and new releases. I'm pretty happy with the size and diversity of my current collection.

5. rene smalldridge

rene smalldridge Senior Member

Have approaching 8,ooo albums and probably 800 or 900 CDs. ( maybe 400 45s )
    I'll let you know when I have enough.

Revolver and 1970 like this.
  6. marcob1963

marcob1963 Forum Resident

7. stephencorkery

stephencorkery Forum Resident

I have around 350-400 lps and 700 cds. Would like around 1000 lps. Enough to have a decent choice but not too many that they wouldn't get a proper listen.

mooseman likes this.
  8. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Why must they all be played?

9. AveryKG

AveryKG Sultan of snacks

I'll count how many I've got and then I'll get back to you with the answer.

10. stephencorkery

I collect them to listen to, always have. Couldn't even resist a sealed original Miles Davis album I picked up for €1.

11. Disraeli Gears

Disraeli Gears Forum Resident

Does something happen to you if you don't have the "ideal" number of LPs in your collection?

12. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

As many as you can reasonably convince yourself, (and cohabitant(s)) , you have room for.

13. AJK74

AJK74 Forum Resident

Currently at around 500-600. Started getting a bit twitchy a while ago and a needed to do a cull, passing some on to friends, family and charity shops, with an occasional expensive item getting sold on eBay. It's all to do with space, your better half, your personality and how likely you are to move properties in the near future. For me, I don't want to get too many more than I have now (I've adopted a one-in one-out policy on most occasions I've bought something new recently).

14. stephencorkery

I have built-in shelving that can hold about 1000 cds, so I'm going to stop buying cds after that's filled up. For lps i have a 2x4 expedit which is 2/3 full.

I'll start a one-in, one-out system when they're both full as i do have a lot of crap still. If I'm honest 5-10% of my collection is only still around to pad out the shelves!

Although I can't imagine ever stopping my collection from growing...argh...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  15. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

What a strange question. When I was a kid my mother asked me why I had to keep buying more records, didn't I have enough already? and I said, "You know, mom, there's different music on all of them."

16. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident Thread Starter

Glad to hear that some people understood my question.

Personally I would actually like either "all of them" or none at all but neither is possible.

(Well, one of those options is, but I prefer to own some records. I often just thinking of getting rid of my entire music collection and just appreciating music solely in a live context played by myself, or others.)

That's why I asked the question - there must be a balancing point somewhere in the middle, between all and nothing. Sounds like between 1000 to 5000-ish is reasonable for a lifetime of recorded music pleasant (on LP at least).

17. Steve Bromsgrove

Steve Bromsgrove Former Pressing Plant Employee.

The answer is "sufficient"!!

It depends on your taste/s in music as much as anything. Limiting factors include the depth of your pockets, the size of your home and (unless you live alone) your partner's tolerance!!

mooseman and Aftermath like this.
  18. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I have well over 6000, but have recently purged over 80. At age 61, I'm trying to slow down on collecting and get more into enjoying the ones I have. Not too long ago, my son said what I had already been thinking: "There are lots of albums in your collection that you've already heard for the last time. You just don't know it." Ah, but which ones?

ramdom likes this.
  19. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

are multiple copies of the same album allowed lol ?

20. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

and I mean CDs

21. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

Depends on your age/stage of life. If you're in your 20's and not tied down to a house, as many as you can move from one apartment to the next without damaging them or straining your back. If you're older and are done with moving, as many as you can listen to in a year or so. I have way too many in either case.

22. Stefano G.

Stefano G. Ab alto, speres alteri quod feceris.

I'd like to be Zero Freitas.

23. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I have 1,000 which fills up the available record space in the apartment my wife and I share, but with a bigger space I know there are at least another 1,000 I'd like to have, and probably more like 2,000 more. So the answer has a lot to do with your living space.

mooseman likes this.
  24. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

I am certain I will not reach that "ideal" number before I die.

25. MikeP5877

MikeP5877 V/VIII/MCMLXXVII

Somewhere between 500 and the 900 I have now.

What I really need to do is pitch the ones that I never play. For example, I have an original UK Island Fairport "What We Did On Our Holidays" that is trashed. Why do I keep it? I think I paid $2 for it, and it doesn't mean that much to me (I love the album but the CD is fine enough)

mooseman likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.