What's The Longest It's Ever Taken You To Realize You Were Playing A Record At The Incorrect Speed?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MonkeyLizard, Nov 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'd say at least a good minute. :laugh:

Example: A 33 1/3 LP at 45rpm

2. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

=The Throwing Muses - The Fat Skier one side 33 the other 45 nobody told me.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  3. ubiknik

ubiknik Forum Resident

It took about 20 years for me to figure out that the song Jimi on Hairway To Steven by the Butthole Surfers is supposed to be played at 45rpm.

MonkeyLizard and c-eling like this.
  4. ruben lopez

ruben lopez Nunc Est Bibendum

John Fahey HARD TIMES EMPTY BOTTLE BLUES,took me years to find it was a 45 rpm recording!:hide::laugh:

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  5. Buddy>Elvis

Buddy>Elvis Senior Member

I've got a double 12" by The Future Sound of London that's supposed to be played at 45 but sounds better at 33. Think it was a couple of years until I realised it was meant to be 45.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  6. O Don Piano

O Don Piano Senior Member

In 3rd grade, I was in charge of the class record player (A cheap, 1-speaker all-in-one thing).
    The teacher (Miss Taylor, who by the way had that awful 1950s hair, and this was 1973!) brought along some old LP from the library that tried to teach us math stuff with songs. This was when "Multiplication Rock" was happening, but she was WAY too square to have us listen to that! Anyhow, she put the album on instead of me this time. It sounded "Chipmunk like". I figured maybe that's the intended vibe of that particular song. When the second song played similarly, I raised my hand, walked over and adjusted the speed control from 45 to 33.
    I should have left it on 45...........

PS: there was a song on that weird little LP that went "Gazinta! Gazinta! What a funny word!". I've been trying to track this down for a long time for nostalgia's sake. Anyone reading this remember?

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  7. SuntoryTime

SuntoryTime Forum Resident

The original vinyl release of Victorialand by Cocteau Twins was 45 RPM and I got it in the mail and brought it to my college radio show, without auditioning it first. I cued up "Whales Tails" because I liked the title. I freaked out and said to no one in particular, "What the heck kind of pitch shifter does Liz Fraser have on her voice!?!" before realizing that I was playing it at the wrong speed. The instrumental part of "Whales Tails" sounds very trippy at 33 1/3, not unlike some of the stuff Robin Guthrie has done with Harold Budd more recently.

Yes, it says 45 right on the label. :oops:

MonkeyLizard and c-eling like this.
  8. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

I have had this album by Icelandic band Stanya called Líf for years and years.

[​IMG]

Sleeve nor label mention at which speed it should be played (or is it just my poor Icelandic?).
    I've tried both 33 and 45 and I must say it sounds great at either speed....

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  9. Five seconds (or less)

10. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I got through the first song on that before I realized.

11. Analogistic

Analogistic Forum Resident

❤️ Or $ by Prince. B-side to Kiss. I think it works both as clean, Camille funk at 45 or Sly Stone Riot era on 33. I prefer 33 which is the "wrong" speed.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  12. uncarvedbloke

uncarvedbloke Forum Resident

and me...

13. petercl

petercl Forum Resident

A good 5 mins on the Orb/Gilmour record. I still don't know the right speed so I just play the CD.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  14. brew ziggins

brew ziggins Forum Prisoner

Rushed to the record store to get My Life in the Bush of Ghosts on the day it was released. Brought it straight home. My roommate and I played Side A. "Wild!" Played Side B. "Crazy!" Played Side A again. "Man this album is nuts, ...does it seem really short album to you? Umm..."

DrAftershave, MonkeyLizard and drasil like this.
  15. Chapman

Chapman Member

Metal Machine Music and Revolution 9. Sublime pieces of utter crap.

1 minut each! :)

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  16. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

Not sure, but it wouldn't have been long... a matter of seconds.

A good indicator is when the vocals kick in and it's happened more with 12" singles than anything because UK ones usually play at 45rpm and the discs very often contain radically remixed versions... I think you get the picture. :D

17. I've told this story before (actually, the following is a copy/paste of a reply to an old thread):

In 1999, a not so experienced trombonist who played in the same symphony orchestra I used to play back then called me once for a question. He sounded really worried. The conversation went like this:

- Hey man, I need your help. Do you have some free time right now?
    - Sure!
    - We are going to play Sibelius' "Finlandia", right?
    - Aha.
    - I have my part in front of me and I'm following it with the record. And let me tell you: I can't believe someone is actually able to play it. There are some extremely fast triple tonguing parts. I don't think I will be able to play that thing.
    - Really? Maybe I haven't paid enough attention to the trombone parts, but I don't remember hearing anything "impossible" on "Finlandia".
    - I have the record here. Do yo want to hear what I'm talking about?
    - OK

(Listening through the phone. A few seconds later...)

- That's it. What do you think?
    - Look: You have your record player in front of you, right?
    - Yes.
    - Most likely to the bottom left side, there's a lever with "33" and "45" marks below it. Move it to the "33" position.

I could hear through the phone both the record slowing down to normal speed and my friend's deep sigh of relief.

MonkeyLizard and pscreed like this.
  18. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

The second song on Primus "Green Naugahyde" album. I thought the first song was a mellow intro. 33 1/3 supposed to be 45rpm.
    Sounded way better on the correct speed.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  19. pscreed

pscreed Upstanding Member

When I was punching a cash register in a record store during a previous lifetime, I had a manager for a while that thought Kitaro was a great choice for in store play.

We played those LPs on 45, always. Nobody ever noticed.

We dubbed Kitaro the worlds first "variable speed" recording artist.

We thought we were so cool :)

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  20. fallbreaks

fallbreaks Forum Resident

I bought an LP of Hungarian choral music, and played the whole album several times before I realized I was listening at the wrong speed. It is in a language I don't understand, and there wasn't any accompaniment to clue off of. Honestly, I still prefer it at the wrong speed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
    MonkeyLizard likes this.
  21. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I got a 12" single by Franz Ferdinand I didn't realize was supposed to play at 45 until the singing started well into the disc.

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  22. Uncle Meat

Uncle Meat Forum Resident

If you take one of the Chipmunks 45s and slow it down to 33, sounds like Satan himself...., very creepy

MonkeyLizard likes this.
  23. This happened to me recently with Roxy Music Ladytron 10' inch..
    About 2 mins at the wrong speed..Apologies to Eno

24. omar ravenhurst

omar ravenhurst Well-Known Member

The whole of XTC's GO+ for several weeks and many many plays. I think it might have been because John Peel had aired it at the wrong speed too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.