What's the name of this song...?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Beatlelennon65, Mar 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member Thread Starter

I know everybody has a few songs that they dont know the artist or song title to. Let's use this thread to answer those questions.

I heard a song today on the oldies station that went something like mmmm 98.6 good to be back 98.6. It sounded like the band that did Paul Simon's Red Rubber Ball song. What is the name of this band and song?

2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Keith. On Mercury. "98.6"

3. John B

John B Once Blue Gort,<br>now just blue.

BeatleL,

No wonder you picked this song - Keith's claim to fame was that he met John Lennon while both were attending to business in the room marked "Gentlemen" and John said how much he liked "98.6". Keith was thrilled beyond all recognition.

John

4. Beatlelennon65

I didnt so much as pick this song as really want an answer as to who did it, really. Who is Keith?

5. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

6. Beatlelennon65

Thanks for the link Steve. I have never heard of the guy, but it's a good song.

7. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Keith also had a groovy follow- up called 'Aint Gonna Lie'. Done in the same style as '98.6" (what a suprise, a follow up that sounds like the first hit...)

8. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

There's a great sounding version of Keith's 98.6 on 45's On CD Vol.-3 Mercury-834216-2 1988...Mastered by Dennis Drake!

9. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Dittos upon dittos, Michael.

10. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Dennis did the best he could with that one, but the bass is way too heavy on the stereo mix. This is a case where the mono mix is much, much better.

Also--not to nitpick, mind:rolleyes: :) --"Ain't Gonna Lie" was Keith's first hit; his cover of the Hollies' "Tell Me To My Face" was the followup to "98.6". I have two Mercury Keith Lp's and several more singles, including the very minor charters "Daylight Savin' Time" and "I'm So Proud." I don't know if there's a Keith comp on CD anywhere; probably not...

At the time, I thought he was british; sure dressed and looked like it! But, he was from Philadelphia...

ED:cool:

11. The Cellar

The Cellar New Member

Any of you ever had a song that eluded you for so long that it became a challenge? A song that resisted any efforts you made to find out what it was called and who it was by, so much so that you actually started thinking it was one of your favorites? And when you finally did find out, it was almost a disappointment as well as a relief, and the song promptly turned into a very ordinary record in your perception?

12. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Before the "Have A Nice Day" series by Rhino came out, I could not for the life of me find who did the song "Do You Know What I Mean". I heard it like crazy in the fall of 1971 but never heard who it was.

Another song that stumped me until just last year was "Good Enough To Love" by Laura Lee. I had an old cassette tape that my cousin left behind back in 1975 with it on it, and I never thought to just ask him.

13. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The bass was always killer, even on the original vinyl...actually I loved the -feel- of that one! Nearly perfect bass...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.