What's the speed of your turntable?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by TVC15, Jul 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chili555

chili555 Forum Resident

My ancient Linn Axis evidently has a defective 33 adjuster. After many minutes racking the adjuster far clockwise and then far counter-clockwise, the best I could achieve was 33.66 rpm using PlatterSpeed on my iPod. On the other hand, the 45 adjuster happily achieves 44.99 rpm. While it sounds excellent to me, I wonder if this is documentary evidence that I need a new, better turntable!

Alan2 likes this.
  2. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

A slightly slower speed may be the lesser "evil" since the music industry has forever pitched up popular music. The slightly slower speed does sometimes sound more natural, since that compensates for the pitched up recordings. I have noticed the CD remasters (including the 1984 ADD digitally remasters not advertised as such) are pitch correct, as true to pitch as possible.

chacha likes this.
  3. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

same reading on the iPhone as the android. the iPhone apps says "ideal" on a reading of 33.6.

4. chacha

chacha Forum Resident In Memoriam

It's not ideal. Music sounds noticeably fast at that speed. You get used to it though.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  5. McLover

McLover Senior Member

My Thorens TD 165 is 33.4 and 45 RPM. My Technics SP-25 is 33.3 and 45 RPM dead on. Unless I choose to vary it on purpose.

6. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Great thread (said with sarcasm). I was perfectly happy with my playback until I did the test, now I feel like I'm listening to the chipmunks. I need a solution and buying the VPI box that goes for $1,200 on music direct seems crazy. Any Ideas on how I can get my table to 33.33?

ruben lopez likes this.
  7. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Keep an eye on Audiogon. I've seen them there for as little as $600. But whatever the price, it WILL maintain the proper speed.

Chipmunks......LOL, you crack me up! :laughup:

Dennis0675 likes this.
  8. missan

missan Forum Resident

For a BD TT that has the right diameter of the pulley, the thickness and the slippage of the belt is largely deciding the speed. If You havén´t done it I would start with talcing the belt. Secondly try a thinner belt.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  9. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

I got 33.33 on my Technics 1210:

[​IMG]

McLover and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

It works fine on my iPhone 4.

groovelocked likes this.
  11. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

do you mean putting talcum powder on the belt?

12. missan

missan Forum Resident

Yes, it can improve slippage around the pulley.

13. Hershiser

Hershiser Forum Resident

I am starting to question the accuracy of these apps now. I downloaded the turntabulator app and it said I was at 33.13 while iRPM said 33.3 and 33.4. I then centered the belt on the spindle. Turntabator said EXACT and iRPM said 33.6.

The process of the turntabulator makes me think that may be more accurate versus iRPM.

14. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

If you have never measured your turntable you have absolutely no reference point at all.
    Any statement you make about your turntable would be meaningless (except maybe to report
    on the general shape and color).

15. missan

missan Forum Resident

Personally I wouldn´t pay much attention if not a calibrated 3150Hz tone is used.

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I choose to take this as meaning, "don't worry about the two different apps you used that came up with the exact same result, everything is ok"

17. atbolding

atbolding Forum Resident

I spent about 2 hours yesterday trying to get my Dual 1019 to spin at the right speed. It's definitely no Technics, but it was down at 32.7 and I've got it to 33.4-33.6 at this point. This way lies madness.....

groovelocked and Dennis0675 like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think that is the perfect speed for Blood on the Tracks. What did you do to make adjustments?

19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

20. TVC15

TVC15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Good thread so far, I'd like to see more measurements with test times through Platterspeed!

I upgraded my Platterspeed app to include DIN wow/flutter measurements and I'm around +/- 0.15% Seems ok.

21. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Used my iPhone 4, works fine. I use an AT-LP240 turntable that looks like it runs slow because the dots lose time- loses a dot every 17 revolutions on 33. There's no speed adjustments or pitch slider on this first model (bought new online in 2011). At the time. Pioneer techs assured me it was a design flaw with the platter and not a speed problem. They offered for me to bring/ship it in to test it and if any problems they'd swap it or change the motor or whatever I wanted, but they are 2 hours away and since I couldn't hear any drag or pitch problems I didn't want to risk 2 more trips in the hands of UPS.

They added a pitch slider and some DJ features for the AT-1240 and discontinued this model.

This iPhone app shows the speed as perfect. I ran several of each 3 speed options (33/45/auto) in both Quick and Exact, each time getting 33.33 / 0.0% slow / exact results, except the one time I lightly put my finger on the spinning platter just to see if it would show a difference and I got 33.6

I was reluctant to use this because if it wasn't close to correct, I didn't want to know since I've never heard any drag. I'm not an audiophile at all, but I can be OCD once I notice or know something for sure, but curiosity to see the app work got the best of me. I eventually want the new Pioneer turntable- only so everything will be Pioneer, but can't afford it probably until the new year so I'm glad to get these results.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Turntabulator on my Rega RP6 says 33.39. It was faster until I switched to an Edwards Little Belter.

23. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

I'm finding turntabulator very frustrating. it displays 'interuptd' most of the time on a 4s and fails to produce a result no matter how long i leave it.

I've put it in the centre of the platter, as when I put it near the edge, i can see the suspension moving as the off balance weight is spinning round

24. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

I ain't getting sucked into this ! Oh Lordy no. I have a RP6, it's got to be fast. I don't hear so I'm not measuring it! :0)

25. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Project Debut Carbon Esprit DC

Guess I should be happy with that?

floweringtoilet, TVC15 and Dennis0675 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.