What's the worst DVD-A or SACD that you purchased?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JonUrban

JonUrban SHF Member #497 Thread Starter

The biggest disappointment. The biggest waste of money.
    The one that made you go..........."Why did I buy THIS?" :eek:

No format war here, just a list of the titles that others should avoid.

My initial contributions:

The Looney Tunes DVD-A - UGH! Why did they make this and why did I buy it?

Heart - Live in Seattle - Total disappointment, sonics and Surround

Attached Files:

• wb.jpg
      wb.jpg
      File size:
      23.5 KB
      Views:
  2. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

The Looney Tunes looks like it could be fun, but I could see how one could tire of it.

I didn't particularly care for The Thorns SACD, thought it was too compressed and found the multi-channel mix rather lacking. The stereo layer to me sounded just like the redbook layer.

3. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

Pet Sounds!

4. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Can you explain why?

5. JMT

JMT Senior Member

Journey's Greatest Hits on SACD. The music was fine, but I found that the sonics were really no better than your standard redbook layer.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Ozzfest Live 2002 COLUMBIA - CS 86830

No question. This is the worst music I've ever heard and the sound is diabolical. I'd give it away to someone but I don't even want to touch it.

[​IMG]

7. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Silverline's classic rock DVD-A. Also Neil Young's friend's and relative's: Road rock. Talk about sonic mud. Peace Todd.

8. Dave D

Dave D Done!

Yep!! A great album ruined by horrible compression and one of the worst multi channel (if you can call it that!) mixes EVER!

9. Dave D

Dave D Done!

I'd say my worst purchase was Roxy Music's Best of SACD. The earlier tracks sound awful.

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Silverline's (who else) Desmond Dekker Anthology. Bad dubs in mono processed into "surround". Awful even in mono.

11. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

INCREDIBLE JAZZ GUITAR OF WES MONTGOMERY. Bleh, although I now understand the master tapes are rotten. So why make an SACD out of it?

BRAIN SALAD SURGERY. Great surround sound. However...it sez Adv. Res. Stereo on the outside but it ain't on the inside! Bummer.

PETER GABRIEL catalog. Sound just like the redbook remasters to my ears...why bother? If any artist's catalog deserved MC, it's Gabriel. Get on with it! I now console myself with the new PLAY THE VIDEOS DVD; the surround mixes on it kick world-class donkey!!!

12. Steve G

Steve G Senior Member

Pictures at an Exhibition, the Naxos version.

the sound is horrible.

the sound on the SACD of the Turangalila symphony isn't so good either. Plus the mix is abominable, placing the listener in the middle of a soundstage set up for the particular recording.

ugh

13. Jason Brown

Jason Brown Forum Resident

The discs are fine, but I can't seem to get into the music from both my Chicago DVD-As. That and my Ritchie Valens SACD.

Live and learn.

I'd have bought any one of those bands on SACD in studio form (not my first choices, but not my last either), but I tend to shy away from live albums. Especially outdoor venues. I do have a couple though.

14. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

yeah, i almost got that (love dekker), then remembered all the "warnings" here about siverline. money saved for a change!

doug :righton:

15. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

I bought the Silverline DVD-A for Corrosion of Conformity's "Live Volume". I think I paid even $25 for it :eek:

Sound was sooooo bad. Not even discreet 5.1. I had no idea how something could sound so much worse than CD. I have the (very compressed) CD to play as a comparison. The DVD-A is flat out terrible. Tinny, zero dynamics, just awful.

I was so mad, I took it back. Bless Tower Records for listening to my story and giving my money back :righton:

16. ubsman

ubsman Active Member

Silverline's "Women On Top". I even contacted Silverline about this disk, which has some songs fading in and incomplete. Some songs are almost unrecognizable due to some odd remixing. Absolutely horrible. Forget now how I got rid of the disk, but it was quickly disposed of either by returning it or selling on ebay. It was some time ago.

17. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

I agree!

Want mine? You'd have a "set" of them! ;)

18. Metallica's "Black Album". Sold it after about two plays. The only hi-rez disc out of about 50 that I was compelled to off-load.

I always thought the redbook version was as harsh a cee-dee as I owned. The DVD-A simply takes the harshness, and spreads it around the room.

Total crapola, IMHO.

Honorable mention (depending on your definition of hi-rez, I know its not a DVD-A, but it should be no different than a real 24/96 DVD-A title): The new Neil Young GH package 24/96 tracks. I seem to be one of the few that has commented negatively on this one. There is no low bass to speak of, and the highs and upper mids are terribly harsh and brittle. Another title that is likely headed to e-bay.

BGL

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Easy choice for me - CCR Chronicle SACD from the far east. I wish I could throw it that far.
    Silverline DVD Audio's (Joey Ramone and Big Head Todd) are a close second (I gotta admit the Dar Williams discs are AOK)

20. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

Agreed. Word is is that he actually is working on doing multichannel mixes for all the albums. I would've gladly waited for MC rather than have the stereo discs.

21. RedWingfan

RedWingfan Forum Resident

"How The West Was Won"; think about it: Three instruments in five channels doesn't work. Also, I'm not very impressed with the ABTKO Sam Cooke stuff.

22. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Are you kidding? This is one of my favorite 2 channel SACD layers. Terrific sonics.

Maybe the criticism on the MC is valid.

23. Metoo

Metoo Forum Hall Of Fame

The 'bad' release of Norah Jones's "Come Away With Me" on SA-CD.

24. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Man - tough audience.
    I can't get enough of "Portrait of a Legend" and "Live at the Copa"

I agree on the "The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery". I also did not think the Byrds Greatest Hits (which I just got) was any better than the redbook.

25. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

"How the West Was Won"?

Led Zeppelin, yes?

SACD? No.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.