What's the worst DVD-A or SACD that you purchased?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

:confused: Maybe I'm missing something here. What do you mean by bad release?

2. RJL2424

RJL2424 Forum Resident

"Metoo" meant that the stereo SACD layer was sourced from the Redbook CD (or more specifically, the 16/44.1 reduction mix used in mastering the Redbook CD).

3. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Is this the same thing that was done to the Springsteen SACD?

4. Beatlesfan03

Beatlesfan03 New Member

That makes sense. The way he wrote 'bad' made me wonder if there was by chance a good version of it. Sourced from redbook or not, I don't mind this one all that much.

5. Vivaldinization

Vivaldinization Active Member

Aftermath is poop-like.

6. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

Leonard Bernstein's version of Rhapsody in blue, one of my all time favorites, sounds horrible....like a subway train is running through the bottom of the stage while they perform the song.

The sony sacd only, that is....when are they going to redo this one?

7. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member

I think maybe I have the worst..... BAT OUT OF HELL sacd, not only is the surround flat, Ellen Foleys voice is replaced , or its an outake during Paradise By The Dashboard Lights, stay away from this sacd at all costs, Best Buy Replaced it for me with another cd after they listened and heard the "wrong" voice for the sacd.

8. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

The problem was the vocal tracks they needed to mix that one properly to 5.1 are forever lost; and Foley would not(who knows why)redo it for the 5.1, so someone else sang the lines instead; a curiosity, but overall, I like that 5.1 mix despite of the alterations that had to be made.

My vote would be for any of the Silverline disasters: Searchers, Donovan, Richman, you name it....absolutely shameful, fobbing off faux 5.1 after seeming at first to be a company that wanted to be a genuine pioneer in the DVD-A/multi-channel field.

Over at Stereo Review Sound & Vision, my main man Ken Richardson got it right: those first batch of EMI-based comps they did may have had their moments, but there was enough to worry over that he thought the company had the potential to become 'The K-Tel Of DVD-Audio,' or something like that. Not long after, crap like the Searchers came out, and I realized he had insulted K-Tel....

:ed:

9. AKA-Chuck G

AKA-Chuck G Senior Member

Oasis-Whats the Story Morning Glory (what was I thinking) Sounds like a 60's 4 track recording.

10. mrdon

mrdon Senior Member

Sting's latest "Sacred Love" on 2-channel SACD :thumbsdn:

11. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Is the voice Ellens's or perhaps Karla DeVito and is this on both stereo and 5.1? Judging by Ed's post can I assume it is only on the 5.1?

12. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

They should have just made that one stereo only.

My worst pick is John Coltrane's Blue Train. :thumbsdn:

13. Patrick Cleasby

Patrick Cleasby Hi-Res idiot

Is that the Classic HDAD?

14. GabeG

GabeG New Member

Owning both the dad (the hdad isn't out yet) and the sacd, I can safely say he's refering the sacd.

15. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

No.

The Blue Note SACD. I should have been more clear about that.

16. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Another vote for the Wes Montgomery. I wasnt crazy for Bill Evans 'Portrait in Jazz' either.

17. aceman400

aceman400 Power to the Metal

Audio Fidelity's Sci Fi in Hi Fi.

18. Jamie Tate

Jamie Tate New Member

I don't understand some of the choices here. It's amazing how one man's beauty is another's crap.

My pick is the SAWG DVD-A. The mastering is no better (and maybe a little worse) than the regular CD. It's not horrible, in fact it's still pretty good. It's just that I haven't purchased many bad discs this year (thanks to you guys :thumbsup: )

19. Runt

Runt Senior Member

Ziggy Stardust SACD is way too bright for my ears. :shake:

20. Nick Drake's "A Treasury". The stereo layer is just fine, but the multi-channel mix is unlistenable. Its sounds like they didn't have access to the masters, so it's split artificially. Huge disappointment.

21. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Michael Jackson's Thriller SACD
    Journey - Escape SACD

Never could get these to have full bass so I think I gave them to Goodwill. Now, some poor b*stard (no pun intended) will buy them thinking they're regular CD's and they won't be able to play them at all.

Heart - Alive In Seattle, if anything a surround live disc should be the ultimate way to listen to a live recording, but this one is anything but.

22. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

It's posts like this that makes this forum so valuable...I was going to get that one! :righton:

23. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I think you must have hooked something up wrong or had the wrong setting
    enabled on your player (see the thread in the hardware forum right now -
    someone made a similar statement only to retract it quickly after several
    people pointed out the problem).

My "Thriller" SACD has PLENTY of bass.

24. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

Actually, what I was thinking when I had the disc was that Thriller was 5.1 but it's only stereo hi-rez so when I played it in "5.1", it sounded like crap. So, I gave up on it too soon, although I did read a negative review of it's sound on High Fidelity Review's website. But I've since got a newer universal player that sounds better than the previous one, but I don't even have my surrounds hooked up now, at least until we see which way the wind blows with the surround formats. Maybe they still have Thriller at Goodwill... :D

25. Anders B

Anders B Forum Resident

Is this the one with the conductor on the cover? I was going to buy that...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.