What's the worst DVD-A or SACD that you purchased?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JonUrban, Dec 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Would have to be the DVD-A of Peter Green and Fleetwood Mac Live At the BBC. Just horrible. Finally got rid of it.

Oh and the Metallica Black Album is not far behind

Funny the comment about Ryan Adam's Gold. I found the SACD to sound better than the DVD-A.

2. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

The earlier stereo only single layer SACD. Going to sell it as soon as I can!

3. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

Different strokes...as I mentioned, I am not a Dylan fan at all, but I thought I might enjoy hearing him in hi-rez....ouch.

TAS concurs with you by the way, calling it one of the best SACD's. For me, it remains the worst!

4. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

What do you mean? I'm pretty sure mine has a hi rez stereo track. I'll check when I get home.

I really love this disc, one of my faves!

5. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

No it doesn't. The "stereo" track is a downmix of the 5.1 mix. Some early WB DVD-As were lacking the separate, dedicated stereo mix (BSS, Tigerlily, Invincible Summer, the Beethoven cycle, the Firesign Theater disc, etc.). Later issues by WB all have a stereo mix included.

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Second choice - Nine Inch Nails Deluxe SACD.

I am not familiar with this band, though I loved Johnny Cash's version of "Hurt" and thought that there would be more songs along these lines on the album. I figured this band was going to be slightly to the left of my general tastes, but it's way too far. It's sounds so unrelenting - I can't find any light or shade here.

If I compare this album to Tool's "Lateralus" (I imagined some similarity), then the Tool album seems really clever in comparison, and shows off some pretty stunning sonic detail on Redbook. I played NIN twice - but the second play was no better than the first. Pure noise.

Definitely one for true fans.

7. pjaizz

pjaizz Forum Resident

You are indeed correct! I don't hear any glaring instrumental omissions on the 2 channel portion. I'll have to dust off my old Lp to compare. Here's hoping they used the rears for ambient info only...ha ha.

Thanks Larry

8. John Carsell

John Carsell Forum Resident

Marvin Gaye - "Let's Get It On"

Good music, but the sound is lackluster.

9. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Geoff,

Yep, it's a rough album. Lots of hi-octane raging. Mr. Self Destruct, March of the Pigs, Big Man With A Gun...it's a rage-o-thon!

Me? I love it. But then again, I've only listened to the mch version, like 2 or 3 times so far. Haven't made it to the stereo mix; I'm in heaven in this mch mix! This is one of the most immersive mixes I've heard, right up there with Yoshimi!

Oops, I guess this thread is about discs we don't like. For me, that disqualifies this disc, cuz I love it!

10. househippie

househippie Forum Resident

I was really disappointed with the Cream BBC SESSIONS. I guess I was expecting better sound quality, based on the AMG review. I've heard bootlegs of some of these songs that sound better. :(

11. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I'm no expert on DVDA or SACD, but are the Cream BBC sessions out on Hi Rez? I would think this would be a waste of time.

12. GoldenBoy

GoldenBoy Purple People Eater

I also have to admit that the Dar Williams DVD-A's are ok, the only Silverlines I've ever heard that were tolerable, but I still think the surround mixes are a bit suspect. It seems like they may have just reprocessed the stereo with PL II or Lexicon ore something, because everything always goes to the sides and not really discreetly to the rear.

13. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

How are they compared to other BBC live recordings? I have heard the Hendrix, Fleetwood Mac, Beatles, Who, Zepp, and none of them are top sound quality, but it is understandable.

14. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

Just like it was a waste of time putting out "Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac at the BBC" on DVD-A. Probably the worst DVD-A that I ever owned. Thankfully I was able to sell it.

15. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

As others mentioned here, some titles mentioned as other people's "clunkers" are winners in my book.

As for the worst discs I have purchased... they have to be two specific Silverline DVD-A discs, Dennis Brown "Anthology" and Wailing Souls "Face the Devil". Both sound like, as others have found with many Silverline releases, reprocessed "fake" 5.1 with absolutely horrendous sonic qualities. The CDs fare much better.

The worst SACD I purchased that has terrible sound is probably Aerosmith "Just Push Play".

16. hdsemaj

hdsemaj Forum Resident

hahaahlol this made me laugh sorry guys

17. Please sell that one to me! PM me if you are willing, no reasonable price refused, honest! I have looked and looked for that thing.

18. My two least favourite are the Ziggy Stardust and the Big Star 2-lp's. Both are INSANELY bright. Unplug your tweeters, they'll still be too bright. IT IS A REAL SHAME as the mix on the Ziggy multichannel was impressive.
    I do not buy for a second the notion that the tapes are at fault on the Big Star. If it is obvious that there was eq-preemhasis on the Big Star tapes (and this does seem to be the case), you roll them off to compensate. If the vocal sounds shrill, and the mix sounds flat with the eq flat, then you re-eq it! Use your bloody head.

19. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

I as impressed with those Dar Williams because they were the only Silverline DVD Audio's I have heard with Hi Rez stereo (The others I had the misfortune of buying did not).

20. Taurus

Taurus Senior Member

More Silverline fake surround cow poop :mad:.....................

Dishwalla's Opaline: just some limp reverb in the rear channels--at least the sound itself (from the fronts) was good. Unfortunately, depsite owning two of their other albums I didn't like the music on this one as it was too depressing and I eventually gave it away. But very nice menu system & it even had a couple(?) easter eggs.

Fireside's uomini d'onore: this was one of my first dvd-audio titles and I had never heard of this band so I'll admit I bought it mostly out of curiosity about surround music in general (and I had just bought a surround-capable receiver too). And I'm a quarter Swedish so what the heck! :) Another disc with lame/blah reverb in the rears. I was pissed because I thought they would do some cool things with all those guitars. Music & sound quality was fine though.

What's weird is my second dvd-audio was Silverline's New Age Sampler disc which has a fully discrete & immersive mix which I enjoy (though a lot of the tracks are actually--to me anyway--smooth jazz music :( rather than new age). And the sound quality itself is excellent, even on the Dolby Digital and DTS tracks.

Why does Silverline keep releasing discs with these crummy fake (IMO) surround mixes? Don't they know it gives the format--and surround music in general--a bad rep? How many open-minded people have gone home with these, played them and then blew off surround music? :shake:

FYI: check this out on the Dvd-Audio Council's About Us page: look who's the "President & Co-Chair" (btw Silverline is part of the 5.1 Entertainment Group).

21. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

I didn't even know they made this. A Steve job? No. Is it? Multichannel? I know the others aren't, but they sound great...

What's the deal with "Chronicle?"

JEFF!

22. Dave D

Dave D Done!

IIRC, overseas release. Fake surround. No Steve.

23. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

This disc has been discussed here. The disc was released in Hong Kong by Naxos. It's supposedly a legit release, but Naxos did not use the original master tapes. I haven't heard the disc, but I've read that it's nowhere near as good as the Analogue Productions CCR SACDs.

24. Jay

Jay New Member

The stereo layer is my "worst." Absolutely nothing special.

25. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Happy Audiophile

My Brain Salad Surgery DVD-A (Rhino R9 75980) has a 96kHz hi rez multichannel track (according to my universal player).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.